CANCARD

Sid the Seedkiller

that’s the point lol it’s pointless!

if they (head dudes and cps) don’t want to arrest anybody for it any more.. just stop arresting people! it’s very simple..

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, twigs said:

that’s the point lol it’s pointless!

if they (head dudes and cps) don’t want to arrest anybody for it any more.. just stop arresting people! it’s very simple..

It's not pointless, if the copper doesn't think you would qualify for medicinal use, they are more likely to give you a cannabis warning, a caution or even arrest you. 

Far better to walk away from an encounter without any of that bullshit, especially given the impact it can have psychologically for anyone with poor mental health. 

Edited by soto

Just now, soto said:

It's not pointless, if the copper doesn't think you would qualify for medicinal use, they are more likely to give you a cannabis warning, a caution or arrest you

they are legally bound to because the law has not changed.. a medical condition could be a headache or a non proscription condition 

the card doesn’t mean anything and your previous post said as much

so dude that’s my onions..

• Like 6

@sotoIf a cancard / medicann or whatever isn’t working on the street with a joint. How will it work for a 6 plant grow room?

I agree with @twigs . Pointless.

When I got ‘caught’ by Mr.Cop once he blagged my weed tin (once emptied) for himself and left me alone. lol He could have tried to arrest/caution me or even try to confiscate my weed but no that never happened. No card was needed.

What’s the point? 

Edited by bartman
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, soto said:

It's not supposed to be a licence to smoke weed publically,

Ok what is it for if not for this?

And no I do not work for cancard or have any association with them whatsoever.

Are you sure about that cos you’re beginning to sound that way dude? lol 

Edited by bartman

Personally I have access to a pro canna lawyer if needed. I’ve never used them friends have when needed to good results. Me Personally smoking on the street is a nope. Not due to police but locals lol .

I also Learned at a younger age if you are stopped be polite and respectful , usually wrong foots the police as they expect grief. If you caught your caught end of . It’s how you act with police that can greatly change outcomes. not some card that they prob don’t know about that would annoy them more tbh imo. :oldtoker: 

Edited by Arthur Mix
Spelling
  • Like 12

@bartman I'm talking about the exceptions not the norm. If they follow the advice on the website, I expect the vast majority of people with a cancard will walk away from the police encounter with a better outcome had they not had one. 

I'm happy to stand corrected as the data comes in although it's likely to be the case that the most egregious examples of police behaviour toward cancard users will be the thing that gets the most coverage, rather than the numerous positive encounters people have. 

The point is, it's almost entirely up to the discretion of the officers whether you get let off, a cannabis warning, a caution or even an arrest. 

You got lucky bartman, that's all. 

Edited by soto

seems an age ago now i was acquitted by a jury in crown court for supplying my wife with cannabis, was after my case the plea of necessity was removed, was prosecuted one more time after that but they appear to leave me alone nowadays, because of my son the police were in my house late at night with a warrant 3 years ago ignored my growroom. i just plod on regardless

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, bartman said:

Ok what is it for if not for this?

Are you sure about that cos you’re beginning to sound that way dude? lol 

It's not a licence to smoke weed, it's merely a defence if you get caught. You shouldn't be going out of your way to get caught.

I haven't been active in activism circles for about seven years bartman. The only voluntary stuff I've done is for the Citizen's Advice. Speaking of which that was a real eye opener, didn't get on with one of the salaried staff there, horrible woman, a snob too but that's another story. They do a lot of good work but get so much money from donations and many of the people there seem so disconnected from the lives of the people they serve. 

• Like 2

Fuck me some of you lot have really got you nickers in a twist over this, I really don't think its the immense conspiracy some people seem to think it is.

All the card (cancard im talking about not madicann) is for is to show the police you have a verified condition that would qualify you for a prescription if you could afford to go to a private doctor, end of. The police have all been advised about this card and what to do when they encounter someone with one; leave them alone, don't ask them any questions, and don't take their cannabis. No its not a guarantee, but yes it is going to better than a kick in the teeth.

Selling your information? Giving it to the police so they can target you ? I think thats one for the tinfoil hat brigade personally, people often mistake themselves for being someone the authorities actually give a fuck about lol. For one, near all your info is already available to them if you have a smart phone or a laptop, would be much easier to just to search for keywords on that database and go after people that way. Any decent lawyer could stop a true medical user getting a conviction for personal possession, this card would make that job even easier. So the Idea is that once police are aware of these cards they'll know there's no point making an arrest in the first place and wasting all that time. Most cops don't want to ruin someone's life cos they smoke a bit of weed for medical reasons or waste time and money. 

As for it not being fair that recreational users are still vulnerable, well its still more fair than everyone being vulnerable isn't it?  Sort of like saying its unfair that the elderly get first dibs on covid jabs.

Still not convinced, fair enough, don't get one.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, soto said:

it's merely a defence if you get caught.

There is no defence dude. Mitigating circumstances maybe but no defence, sorry you are not correct there :) Except for medical necessity when faced with imminent danger of loss of life. R v. Quayle [2005].

Edited by bartman

Just now, bartman said:

There is no defence dude. Mitigating circumstances maybe but no defence sorry you are not correct there :) Except for medical necessity when faced with imminent danger of loss of life. R v. Quayle [2005].

You know what I mean. It's a defence, not a legal defence, although the fact that cannabis in the UK has been rescheduled should in principle give magistrates something to ponder. 

9 hours ago, soto said:

There is a post on reddit where a police officer confiscated someone's prescribed cannabis, despite showing the officer their prescription and I think their MedcannID

On the same thread there's posts from some police officers arguing against Cancard. 

8 hours ago, soto said:

It's not pointless

21 minutes ago, soto said:

If they follow the advice on the website, I expect the vast majority of people with a cancard will walk away from the police encounter with a better outcome had they not had one. 

The point is, it's almost entirely up to the discretion of the officers whether you get let off

You got lucky bartman, that's all. 

so by your own definition, ‘luck’ is what a card carrying person will be relying on too!

sorry mate it’s not going to work until the police just stop arresting people. a non legal, ‘id-iology’ card isn’t going to stop you getting arrested until the police agree to stop arresting people for cannabis use, possession and growth across the board.. they can do this but they haven’t agreed anything at street level, so it won’t happen

its actually quite dangerous because it’s giving people a very false sense of security/immunity against the law..

let alone the discrimination side of things the police and the canacard people are opening themselves up too.. because the law hasn’t changed.. 

sorry dude that’s just my opinion..

(spell)

Edited by twigs
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, twigs said:

its actually quite dangerous because it’s giving people a very false sense of security/immunity against the law..

I really don't think many people are going to be foolish enough to think that. Its made very clear in the application process.