CANCARD

Sid the Seedkiller

6 hours ago, ratdog said:

so you have a diary here?

This kind of attutide does my head in. There arno pissing rights to growing cannabis and uploading images online. If anything, it's more cautious and paranoid not to publicise online that you're breaking the law regardless of whether you think the authorities would be able to work out that you were. 

If people want to be super cautious like that then they should be respected for it I think given how severe the consequences of getting caught are. 

Edited by soto
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, bartman said:

I’m not sure. Patsy? Maybe? I dunno. 
I would advise anyone against registering for any card. Actually no, there is a card that I think is worthy to be mentioned.

It is a card/pamphlet put out by Release.org

Called a ‘Bust Card’. No false promises of immunity from the law but does give the best advice and numbers to call on the card in the sad event of a bust. No personal details on it.

Call them if you want one. It’s just a pamphlet that happens to be card sized with advice as to what to do and say in the event of a bust.

I recommend Release.org ‘Bust Card’ :yep:

Firstly they're not promising immunity, quite the contrary. As for Release, we use to hand out bust cards to people, there's some great advice on there and one of the first things their Bust Card says is: "There may be times when if you give an innocent explanation for what you have done, the police may leave you alone."

I think subconsciously to do this it helps to acknowledge that despite any horrible interactions you may have had with them in the past the police aren't a complete bunch of c*nts. There are some coppers that when presented with some facts, may leave you alone. That is basically what Release are saying. Like it or not but being in possession of one of these cards offers an explanation as to why you're in possession of cannabis.

e2a: conversely sorry, they're not your friends either but then that goes without saying really given the business they're involved in.

Edited by soto

@soto My problem is the data collection/security and also who carly associates with. I don’t trust the set up.

Also I don’t like the idea of separating medi use from cannabis consumption in general.

The thought that a medi user gets a different deal with the law than a non medi user is divisive, hierarchical and imo unfair.
We’re all in this together.

Let’s grow. :) 

e2a Carlys Amnesty which is not Cancard admittedly but is a Carly initiative, was reg’d at Steve Moores businesss address. 18 Hanway St, London.

On the application form for Carlys Amnesty one of the declarations is this:-

I am seeking amnesty to grow my own cannabis for medical purposes.  

Why would Steve Moore be getting involved with any initiative that pushes for home grow rights?

He has stated that self medicating is not to be tolerated.

That doesn’t sound right to me. Does it to you?

Edited by bartman
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, soto said:

This kind of attutide does my head in.

sorry mate but it was the holier than though attitude that just because we don't have a card we are somehow sat on our arses doing fuck all for anyone else.

• Like 4

Thinking about these cards and looking back over responses I was left quite confused last night so can someone help me here and explain why you need /want a Cancard?

This might be a bit of a rant but it's something I feel quite strongly about as I feel a lot of people try to be "activists" or "supporters" for legalising cannabis and are getting it completely wrong.  Don't get me wrong for all the people who need medical cannabis who aren't able to grow it should be legalised and like @bartman said this should be across the board and not just those with medical needs. What I don't understand is the people on here going for it! I'm not calling you out but you're confusing me....

People using this system for some form of protection when getting caught with cannabis in public, do you really need to be so blatant about it? I am all up for freedom but if your in an urban area smoking then you're asking for a tap on the shoulder from the boys in blue, look at the places where it is legal you still can't walk around blazing it up. I get it if you don't like be told what to do but at the same time have some respect for those around you who genuinely find the smell putrid and disgusting, I guess its called manners. Also its a bit to entitled for my liking that we feel we should be able to do whatever and where ever we want regardless of others. Each to their own and all that but lets not be dick heads.

If you think it helps move legislation forward, really you think a card will help? No again I don't mean to offend anyone but look at events like 420 in Hyde Park, running around smoking a doobie dressed as a giant fucking ganja leaf is not the way to do this in fact the only thing it does is boil my piss. Do you really think this portrays a good argument to why it should be legal? I'm not convinced we need to put forward an argument of normality but let be honest this is all about money for the corporates and governments which is why I am convinced they lean towards the synthetic cannabinoids as the profit margins are much better.

It might help if your grow gets busted! Again I'm not so sure about this one as really we shouldn't get busted growing and it fits in with a lot of aspects of life...prevention is better than a cure. Now I know there are different circumstances and those who get busted just out of the feds turning up for something else then seeing a clue or a smelling your grow, that's just shit luck I guess but for the majority of people it's because they want to show off to mates and look cool or sell the damn stuff. Why not look at ways to prevent your grow being compromised rather than a "life line" in the the event it is. If you're local plod already now what you do and haven't busted you, then that in itself is reason not to get a card as they really cant be arsed with you. However what about the day when they have sod all to do or some copper is just shit at his job and decides that today is the day they will raid your grow, personally if my local plod knew what I did I would shut it down and go GG out in the countryside. 

The way I see it and it seems many other UK420'ers is this is a scam / con, first of all whose pockets are we filling with this and what benefit does that bring us? What are the motivations behind the data capture? Sure it on an encrypted server but the fact your details promoting the fact the you smoke ad grow copious amounts of ganja is just sat there waiting for someone to uncover it, misuse it, sell it or just plain grass you up to the feds is enough to give most stoners the uncontrollable fear.

We are quite lucky really, we can buy seeds and all the equipment we want, we have access to all the information surrounding growing and processing cannabis, its almost like they are saying as long as you don't take the piss and be blatant or deal then we really couldn't give a damn, just don't be a dick about it.

Like I say I hope I don't offend anyone but just have a little think to yourself... do I need to divulge to anyone the fact I am involved in this scene because as much as we want it to be legal it really isn't and a card doesn't change the law.

I would like to hear some decent arguments for the cards, if anyone actually does have one.

Edited by Kush Lover
I should learn to proof read!!
  • Like 2

Hi Kush Lover, some of the questions you've raised can be answered by reading about Cancard on their website. There's a lot of info on there, including a stop and search guide, how to use your medicine and interact with the police and what cancard is and is not. 

I think referring to this as a scam is completely unacceptable. If you want to see an example of what a scam actually is, maybe check out the work of Jim Browning against Indian scammers on YouTube.

Edited by lildaveham
Unnecessary quote pls use the @ function

Apologies @soto maybe I shouldn't of jumped in with the term scam /con but this is what's wrong with the whole situation, why should someone be treated differently because they have subscribed to a £20 per year card. That's creating an unfair status for some on the "justice" system and also looks like profiteering to me. Like I say I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I have read their website and this is why I wanted to hear from people who have first hand experience rather than just reading the website. 

The main benefits seems to be a guide what to do when stopped by the police and access to legal information and how to medicate. I don't see what a fully grown adult would benefit from here as most of know how to interact with the police it's not hard and at the end of the day they are human beings not some mighty authority out to get you, we aren't getting so high we can't speak (I'm an annoying stoner I go into super productive mode) and if I get in trouble with the law I can find a solicitor.

All the above can be found for free or by reaching out to a community like this one so I was just trying to ask people what their personal motivations are for this because it confuses me.

Edited by lildaveham
No need to quote the above post
  • Like 1

@Kush Lover No dog in this fight for me, but I think you’re on the wrong foot if you think the government needs to be persuaded of the “truth” regarding cannabis, as though they’re going to do a legislative about face when they realise they’ve been in the wrong all this time.

They already know the truth, they’re quite happy being the largest exporter of cannabis in the world after all...

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/inside-britain-biggest-legal-cannabis-farm-explained-medicinal-marijuana-769414

It serves a purpose for the Government to use legislation as another of the ways we’re controlled, and to stitch up a “free” market for their cronies. That’s it really.

Legalisation is coming, all it took was the Americans to show how much money is to be made off the back of it. First it’s medical use, so the public get to see you don’t grow two heads and, more importantly, it is a beneficial plant.

Slow drip, drip, drip of positive news stories over a couple of years, which is already happening, who’d have thought back in the nineties there’d be positive stories regarding cannabis in the daily mail?..and that’ll probably undo the 50 years of propaganda the public have been subjected to, alongside lots of earnest discussion regarding how their cannabis is different from the bad cannabis they so bravely ruled against.

People coming out (or being forced out) and explaining the benefits of cannabis to their peers has been the most honest and brave attempt to change the law, it certainly has altered the social perspective, but in terms of legalisation, just follow the money...

Edited by Gimps
Tidy up.
  • Like 6

I see where you ae coming from @Gimps and I do agree the government know the "truth" and will do an about face my issue is that the way people go about "persuading" from the end user level. Pharma, corporates and the cronies will get it pushed through in time which is why these drip, drip stories are in the press and you see CBD and ganja leaves appearing on shampoo bottles so I'm not doubting that.

What I am doubting is the need for the card and to give up your data while it's still illegal. I don't see a reasonable argument unless I have been a muppet and there is some small print that you will get off scot free.

I hate to sound sceptical but when it says backed by the police...I'm sure it is but living in an area where the police still don't turn a blind eye to a little bud or two I don't see how this card will help.

Edited by lildaveham
Unnecessary quote
  • Like 2

Our legal helpline is up and running! The fabulous team at Mackrell Solicitors will assist Cancard patients who require support. While we are already seeing compliance from police encountering a patient in possession with a card, there may be further issues that sit outside of this remit, such as family court matters, employment law etc.

As a Cancard registered patient you have full access to legal support and advice free of charge. You can get in touch with them via whatsapp during office hours or an email enquiry.

Rest easy and have a great weekend!

cancard.co.uk/legal

Why would they go to all this trouble if they wanted people to get caught? It ain't cheap employing solicitors. 

I've seen a lot of happy people obtain a cancard but to be honest my biggest concern is possible the attitude of some people when they get their cards. The police have already called the helpline to verify if the person they've stopped sas a genuine cancard, which might just be due to the sheer number of people but I just fear it may be due to a brazen attitude from some users and a misunderstanding as to what Cancard actually is. 

It's not supposed to be a licence to smoke weed publically, you should do your very best to avoid the police. It doesn't surprise me that people may not be doing this, I see a lot of public cannabis use where I live, mainly kids, I warn them there's a high chance they'll get caught as the area where I live is heavily patrolled by a police.  But they couldn't give a fuck. 

Edited by soto

On 03/02/2021 at 3:47 PM, Kush Lover said:

why should someone be treated differently because they have subscribed to a £20 per year card. That's creating an unfair status for some on the "justice" system and also looks like profiteering to me.

Why should someone who "qualifies" for cannabis based medicine be treated differently if they can't afford the cost of a private prescription? - that is the crux of the matter.

I am undecided about the practicalities of this scheme. It is an unsatisfactory solution to an absurd problem. It seems like a roundabout way of reintroducing the defence of medical necessity which was nullified by government diktat many years ago. Now that medical cannabis is legal, and its use in treating various conditions is acknowledged, withholding access on purely economic grounds is a gross travesty. This is apparent to all, except, apparently, NHS chiefs and the government. We have a government that hates cannabis and the NHS, but loves money, especially when it ends up in the pockets of family and friends.

Given the situation, unilateral action by progressive elements in the police/CPS/judiciary is to be welcomed. There are those who say that it's not up to law enforcement to decide what laws are enforced; ordinarily I would agree, but when the lawmakers prove to be as incompetent and unrealistic as this lot, surely it's a matter of common human decency.

The weakness of the scheme is that it is unilateral. If it had the backing of government it wouldn't be needed. If the moratorium is extended to cultivation and production, the goverbent might be goaded into action, simply to protect potential profits. I await test cases with interest.

• Like 6

If you think about the concise selling pitch ,as quick as the wind up toys out to make a million and selling it  ,well it might catch on and turn legitimate but currently it's a con , in my amateur opinion .Read the news from Bongme for twelve years and it keeps you mindful ,on your toes .

Edited by Michael Luchóg

I dunno, maybe some people need to ingest a little bit less THC?. Kindof makes you see patterns where there aren't any sometimes :) I am sure all kinds of shenanigans are going on with the activists and the money folks and the tories and their mates in particular but personally, I'd just like to be able to grow some CBD for me and some THC for my wife for mainly medical reasons and not worry about having my front door smashed in and some POCA bullshit unleashed on me. I am not going to let perfect be the enemy of good and I've seen the pattern occurring over in the USA, Canada and a few EU countries regarding the normalisation of cannabis use, starting with med use as  @Gimps noted above and I see it going a similar direction here. Cancard seems to be blazing a trail regardless of who may or may not be involved. It will be interesting to see how it pans out over the next few months and years, given the Pandemic and Brexit shitfest situation. Could go either way.

Incidentally, money-grabbing shits aside - the government needs plausible deniability, they don't want to be seen as the enemy of the people by being proactive on decriminalising recreational drugs. Being tough on crime is top of the hand-wringing list for your average Daily Mail reader and they're still the ones populating the focus groups it seems. So - legitimate medi use is the ONLY way things are going to change.  

• Like 2

I apologise for saying that the only thing I worried about was people brazenly smoking weed with a cancard. The conduct of the police officers is the main concern. 

There is a post on reddit by the way where a police officer confiscated someone's prescribed cannabis, despite showing the officer their prescription and I think their MedcannID. 

I'm just saying, it's going to take some time for things to change. On the same thread there's posts from some police officers arguing against Cancard. I'm just saying be bloody careful, if you're going to use it publically, please try not to get caught. 

Edited by soto
  • Like 3