The Light Deprivation Society.

Punta Roja

Hi guys, love this thread, some fantastic plants on show.

Am really keen to join the light deprivation society this year !

A couple of questions if anybody would be so kind as to help! I realise there may not be any one size fits all type answers, though am looking for a rough guide.

1) how big should I let my plants get before starting the 12/12 ? I was thinking of doing the shed method, so I don’t want them too big. Not too tall so they fit comfortably in shed, and small enough to carry around and move about.

2) is it ok to top and train them to keep them small? I see in some of the pics the stems and main branch are almost knotted like a pretzel at the bottom of the plant ! How do I achieve that? Is there a link to a video or grow diary that shows what you have to do in the early stages ? 

ideally, I’d like small bushy plants, forced into flower early. What would be the best method of achieving this? 

kind regards, and many thanks in advance ! 

• Like 3

As soon as it's legal and I have all the licenses ready, I'll have dozens of these with supplimental LED lighting thanks very much. 

Year round growing. Anywhere, anytime, any temp. The sun would improve the flavours even in winter months, and save a ton in energy. :yep:

• Like 14

12 hours ago, SkunkOscar said:

Hi guys, love this thread, some fantastic plants on show.

Am really keen to join the light deprivation society this year !

A couple of questions if anybody would be so kind as to help! I realise there may not be any one size fits all type answers, though am looking for a rough guide.

1) how big should I let my plants get before starting the 12/12 ? I was thinking of doing the shed method, so I don’t want them too big. Not too tall so they fit comfortably in shed, and small enough to carry around and move about. About a third of the height you'd want when flowered... so say 12 - 18"

2) is it ok to top and train them to keep them small? I see in some of the pics the stems and main branch are almost knotted like a pretzel at the bottom of the plant ! How do I achieve that? Is there a link to a video or grow diary that shows what you have to do in the early stages ? Yes by all means... that plant was nearly a year old when done... it was a clone. check out 

ideally, I’d like small bushy plants, forced into flower early. What would be the best method of achieving this? Six to eight weeks veg top at fourth node then top again.

kind regards, and many thanks in advance ! 

ATB

PR

• Like 1

Hi punta Roja, 

thank you so much for taking the time to reply. That is a brilliant response, just what I was after as I was unsure what to do.

I spent most of yesterday morning looking through that thread, some absolutely stunning plants in there, fair play to you all ! 

Really looking forward to giving this a try now! Got loads of different ideas running through my head on how to go about it. 

hopefully be able to get something, though never going to get plants looking as good as yours.

thanks again ! 

• Like 2

On 2-11-2020 at 1:35 AM, DutchFox said:

55-BB0713-77-D0-4-E87-9-AEA-DEB22-E07-D3-CB.jpg

made from bamboo and ducktape...

the plants amnesia haze...DARK GREEN..were all the same as the one on the left of the middle of the pic.....all the rest you see are foto plants without LD...

this spot was too wet....so the fotos are not perfect...but that was extra goodies....the main dish was 32 x amnesia haze LD   in 25 liter pots....:)

very rewarding i must say :)

Edited by DutchFox

• 2 months later...

Hi again !

looking for some more help and advice please.

I have just started trying to force a plant. I am putting it in a mini storage shed type thing, then covering it up with a black sheet which is usually used as a cover for outdoor furniture.

I got inside the little shed yesterday with the cover on, and as far as I could tell it was pitch black with no light leaks.

this morning, I came to get her out and put her in the sun.

I was expecting her to be droopy and ‘asleep’ still, however, she looked wide awake and leaves all pointing upwards. As if she had been out all morning and had already woken up.

is this ok ? Or does this mean that it is not dark enough, and I need to further lightproof the shed ?

appreciate any help or advice,

thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

@SkunkOscar I can just imagine you crouched in the little shed... been there. How long did you spend in there?

I wouldn't worry too much at this early stage, the plant is probably adjusting to the new lighting regime. I'd be more concerned about lack of growth due to low temps.

And best of luck going forwards, all being well you'll be enjoying a smoke in July.

What strain is it?

Hi punta Roja. I was hoping you would reply, many thanks for doing so !

it is just a purple Maroc, nothing too exciting or exotic! I’m hoping that the forcing will work on that strain, or are they semi automatic, meaning it won’t work anyway ? 

I wasn’t crouched in the little shed for too long ! I got someone to shut me in there, luckily they didn’t leave me in there, as the lock is on the outside and they could have left me in there forever haha . 

I did it in full daylight and I noticed there were light leaks coming through the gaps, however, when the cover was applied too, it felt pitch black to me and I couldn’t see any light leaks anywhere.

i was just a bit surprised when I got her out this morning as I was expecting her to be droopy like you see them sometimes at night, but she was the opposite and looked as if she had been under lights all night, not in the dark !

it’s my first time attempting it so wasn’t sure what to expect.

thanks for the response and reassurance, I will carry on as I am for now then, unless you think the strain might be unsuitable for forcing ? I’m just experimenting really after being inspired by your pics and posts on this thread and the other one.

thanks again for reply,

kind regards. 

• Like 1

@SkunkOscar I'm sorry to say but I wouldn't put the effort in for a PM, you'd be better off doing a proven indoor strain to your taste... you've still got time... plenty.

My collection this year consists of:

TH Seeds Strawberry Glue Cake Limited edition Regs

Barney's Pineapple Haze Regs

Sweet Seeds Mohan Ram and Sweet Tai

Plus some Kalashnikov Autos.

Edited by Punta Roja
  • Like 1

Ah that’s a shame, I feared that may be the case. I’ve got some autos too, so hopefully I should get something this season. I’ve got a few freebie indoor seeds leftover so I might give them a go too. I just thought I’d use the PM as I had an old packet and thought I’d use them to experiment with.

Out of interest, do you say that because forcing won’t work with this strain ? Or will it just hermie or not flower ? Or just not yield very much ? 

ive got three others which I suppose I will just have to leave and wait rather than force, though was hoping I could force them and keep them small and not have to wait until autumn ! 

thanks for help and advice, much appreciated.

• Like 1

The PM was an underwhelming smoke... left me wanting...life's too short... pop them freebies.

• Like 2

Haha fair enough ! I take your point.

i love reading about what and how you guys grow, and would love to get to that level myself one day.

it was more about learning the method for me this year, so I'd be happy with anything really, plus it will probably all end up in the slow cooker with some coconut oil anyway !

though I hear what you're saying, and I'll have a root through, see what freebies I have left too.

thanks for the tips and pointers, hope you have a good year.

kind regards.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Week two of the discipline...

medium.IMG_3717.jpg.acc63a2df5fc8070d066e03796f92d9e.jpg

L-R Barneys Pineapple Haze regs x 2. Sweet Seeds Sweet Tai clone and 2 x TH Seeds Strawberry Glue Cake regs

@Asha605... are you joining in again this year? Hope you're well.

ATB

PR

• Like 7

@SubSpecies   Thats a mighty fine lookin lady :yep:   Shes gonna be a big girl by the looks of it.    The crystal candy is one of the very few sweets i have not run yet but does sound nice. 

Your light dep efforts look to be paying off and similar to my own,   For the little effort it should pay off ,  i think i will be procuring more material to start dep on a few others that i wouldnt mind a longer cooking time.       i cant help thinking i should have started a few weeks before i did with mines due to such a long ass grow ahead of me.....12 wk indoor let alone outdoors lol   

• Like 3