Diy Led Lighting (F-series samsung strips)

Key

Hi TokeyFolks, and cheers :cheers: @Key for luring me into even more internet overload :unsure: Any more success stories??

so, looking through @Key guide, thought I had ordered 3x LED MOD FSERIES GEN3 3500K STRIPS, but after having numerous pages open and :skin_up: etc, have actually ordered and received 3x LED MOD FSERIES GEN3 3000K STRIPS. My question is where does it specify wattage per strip or info to work it out so I can order the right driver? 

and then......probably more questions to follow lol 

@lap1ngtong  SI-B8V521560WW‎ ? if so could run 3 on a ELG-240-48A or a HLG-240H-48b i think 83ish watts at 1.66a each strip at max but dimmable with those drivers, I could be wrong im still a noob.

Hello @WhyNotEyy, cheers for response the number on order is  SI-B8V261560WW, lol looks like I got it totally wrong, but  I should still be able to set something up with these should'nt I?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lap1ngtong said:

Hello @WhyNotEyy, cheers for response the number on order is  SI-B8V261560WW, lol looks like I got it totally wrong, but  I should still be able to set something up with these should'nt I?

hi :) yeah you should be able too just single instead of double row diodes HLG-120H-24A i think would be best driver for those will still run at 1.66a ish each but at about half the wattage (i'm not checking this properly though so could be wrong) not terrible 

@WhyNotEyy looking at this single strip with 72 chips/led/diodes/lights??? (36a,36b) as 1/4 of @Key's 150w, 2x double strips build would suggest this strip is 36w and the lights/chips/diodes lol 0.5 each? or is it amp x volt which according to digikey is Current =1.12a x Vf =23v which is summat like 25/26w??? Which one? or is there more?

lol i'll get there!!

18 minutes ago, lap1ngtong said:

@WhyNotEyy looking at this single strip with 72 chips/led/diodes/lights??? (36a,36b) as 1/4 of @Key's 150w, 2x double strips build would suggest this strip is 36w and the lights/chips/diodes lol 0.5 each? or is it amp x volt which according to digikey is Current =1.12a x Vf =23v which is summat like 25/26w??? Which one? or is there more?

lol i'll get there!!

@lap1ngtong
Honestly i'm bloody clueless too  lol

i was using amp driver can provide divided by the amount of strips to pick driver at correct voltage doing the same for max wattage of driver divided by amount of strips to work out how many watts its gonna pull but i think Current x Voltage is probably more accurate for actual output 
this is what the the data sheet for that strip says (could be wrong its late)
LT-F562B

Operating Current (If)      - - 1120 1800 mA -
Operating Voltage (Vf) - 21.9 23.0 24.2 Vdc
Power Consumption     - 24.5 25.8 27.1 W

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 3:05 PM, Key said:

Diy led lights (F series strips)

T

his is a diy thread, for the diy guys, to diy a diy led grow light..Its the cheapest way to get a decent led light.

Im not going to get too deep here. This is a basic guide with parts list with product codes to google, rather than a how to build it.. 

“what wattage do I need for my space”

large.chart1_1024x522.jpg

Strips.

The Samsung f series strip. This features 144 Lm561C S6 bin leds. Driving them at the currents listed in the parts lists will achieve 2.2-2.35 ish µMol/j at system level.

Warning! Don’t be fooled by the cheaper boards/strips.Genuine strips have the Samsung logo and are fully CE compliant.

Heres the parts numbers for the strips.Google will give you the supplier.

3000K SI-B8V521560WW

3500K SI-B8U521560WW

4000K SI-B8T521560WW

3000k and 3500k will do veg and flower for weed, just buy whatevers in stock. 4000k might be useful for mums or lettuce, micro greens etc

Strips cost £28 each or you can get a discount on ten+ (including vat which they will add at the checkout)

Drivers  are easy to find, again just google the part number in the lists. TME is the best place to get them. Ill put rough prices so you know whats the right price to pay.

heatsinks you want U channel aluminium. 1 3/4” wide 1” high and 590mm long. This is a very common size and easy to get.

Framework  you want 1/2” by 1” Unequal aluminium angle(Or whatever you can get. staiir nosing work great). For the length you need it a little smaller than your tent. So 60cm tent get 40cm angle. 1.2m tent get 1m angle. Just get it as big as possible.If your tent is 1.2m or bigger build it in two lights. Max spread is the game here. More points/angles of light over the area = “penetration”.

The metal work you can buy cut to order online, or a local shop will do you it cheaper. Heat sinks cost around £4-5 each and framework is a couple quid.

All the wiring/wagos/bolts ect be found easy on shitbay/scamazon. Or any local electrics shop. Make sure you get solid core wire. And your power cable is a 10amp one.

Are you still here? Heres a chart, I think it makes sense lol

large.chart2_1024x226.jpg

Heres a list just in-case it doesn't. Prices are the max you want to pay really, you should get it a bit less if you get the metal cheap.

150w. Total cost - 130ish

l 2x F series strips.

l 1x HLG-120H-48A driver (£40 max)

l 2x heatsinks

l 2x unequal angle.

l 2m 18awg or 20awg solid core wire.

l 2x 3 way wago connector.

l Old kettle lead for the plug.

l 3 core cable connector.

l 20mm thermal tape roll

l Bolts/nuts/rivets (whatever you want to use)

210w. Total cost - 170ish

l 3x F series strips.

l 1x HLG-185H-48A driver (£45 max)

l 3x heatsinks

l 2x unequal angle.

l 3m 18awg or 20awg solid core wire.

l 2x 5 way wago connector.

l 20mm thermal tape roll.

265w. Total cost 220ish

l 4x F series strips.

l 1x HLG-240H-48A driver (£55 max)

l 4x heatsinks

l 2x unequal angle.

l 4m 18awg or 20awg solid core wire.

350w. Total cost 280 ish

l 5x F series strips.

l 1x HLG-320H-48A driver (£80 max)

l 5x heatsinks

l 2x unequal angle.

l 5m 18awg or 20awg solid core wire.

l 2x 6 way terminal block

420w. Total cost 340 ish

l 210w kit parts x2.

530w Total cost 440 ish

l 265w kits parts x2.

700w Total cost 520 ish

l 350w kit parts x2.

The build its self is self explanatory really. Mount the strips last so you don’t damage them. Get the tape lined up right before sticking it as it WILL NOT come off once on.

Wiring is the only tricky bit. Its a parallel wired system. All negatives from the strips go the the negative on the driver and all positives from the strips go to the positive on the driver.

Here a quick paint wiring diagram, to show how to do it.

large.chart3_1024x647.jpg

I don’t mind helping out, if you have a question, just post it on the thread. It is a low voltage system (47V) but still be careful, take time stripping wires right, cable tie them to the frame. If you can see any exposed core you have fucked it, try again.

DISCLAIMER- key accepts no responsibility for damage caused to persons, or property. This is not electrical advise, just a parts guide.

Don’t pm me asking where to get stuff , post questions in this thread. PMs will be ignored.

@mods Any issues with this please let me know.

What would be the ideal build for a 1.5m x 2m canopy size in a 2x2x2 grow room with limited access (hence the smaller canopy size to leave space to work) many thanks

Sorry in advance for the questions but definitely going to build one of these lights to suit my needs but im completely confused as to how far apart you place the strips on the framework would love your advice please @Key

Thanks Mate 

• 5 months later...
On 28/07/2018 at 3:05 PM, Key said:

Diy led lights (F series strips)

T

his is a diy thread, for the diy guys, to diy a diy led grow light..Its the cheapest way to get a decent led light.

Im not going to get too deep here. This is a basic guide with parts list with product codes to google, rather than a how to build it.. 

“what wattage do I need for my space”

large.chart1_1024x522.jpg

Strips.

The Samsung f series strip. This features 144 Lm561C S6 bin leds. Driving them at the currents listed in the parts lists will achieve 2.2-2.35 ish µMol/j at system level.

Warning! Don’t be fooled by the cheaper boards/strips.Genuine strips have the Samsung logo and are fully CE compliant.

Heres the parts numbers for the strips.Google will give you the supplier.

3000K SI-B8V521560WW

3500K SI-B8U521560WW

4000K SI-B8T521560WW

3000k and 3500k will do veg and flower for weed, just buy whatevers in stock. 4000k might be useful for mums or lettuce, micro greens etc

Strips cost £28 each or you can get a discount on ten+ (including vat which they will add at the checkout)

Drivers  are easy to find, again just google the part number in the lists. TME is the best place to get them. Ill put rough prices so you know whats the right price to pay.

heatsinks you want U channel aluminium. 1 3/4” wide 1” high and 590mm long. This is a very common size and easy to get.

Framework  you want 1/2” by 1” Unequal aluminium angle(Or whatever you can get. staiir nosing work great). For the length you need it a little smaller than your tent. So 60cm tent get 40cm angle. 1.2m tent get 1m angle. Just get it as big as possible.If your tent is 1.2m or bigger build it in two lights. Max spread is the game here. More points/angles of light over the area = “penetration”.

The metal work you can buy cut to order online, or a local shop will do you it cheaper. Heat sinks cost around £4-5 each and framework is a couple quid.

All the wiring/wagos/bolts ect be found easy on shitbay/scamazon. Or any local electrics shop. Make sure you get solid core wire. And your power cable is a 10amp one.

Are you still here? Heres a chart, I think it makes sense lol

large.chart2_1024x226.jpg

Heres a list just in-case it doesn't. Prices are the max you want to pay really, you should get it a bit less if you get the metal cheap.

150w. Total cost - 130ish

l 2x F series strips.

l 1x HLG-120H-48A driver (£40 max)

l 2x heatsinks

l 2x unequal angle.

l 2m 18awg or 20awg solid core wire.

l 2x 3 way wago connector.

l 20mm thermal tape roll

210w. Total cost - 170ish

l 3x F series strips.

l 1x HLG-185H-48A driver (£45 max)

l 3x heatsinks

l 2x unequal angle.

l 3m 18awg or 20awg solid core wire.

265w. Total cost 220ish

l 4x F series strips.

l 1x HLG-240H-48A driver (£55 max)

l 4x heatsinks

l 2x unequal angle.

l 4m 18awg or 20awg solid core wire.

350w. Total cost 280 ish

l 5x F series strips.

l 1x HLG-320H-48A driver (£80 max)

l 5x heatsinks

l 2x unequal angle.

l 5m 18awg or 20awg solid core wire.

l 2x 6 way terminal block

420w. Total cost 340 ish

l 210w kit parts x2.

530w Total cost 440 ish

l 265w kits parts x2.

700w Total cost 520 ish

l 350w kit parts x2.

The build its self is self explanatory really. Mount the strips last so you don’t damage them. Get the tape lined up right before sticking it as it WILL NOT come off once on.

Wiring is the only tricky bit. Its a parallel wired system. All negatives from the strips go the the negative on the driver and all positives from the strips go to the positive on the driver.

Here a quick paint wiring diagram, to show how to do it.

large.chart3_1024x647.jpg

I don’t mind helping out, if you have a question, just post it on the thread. It is a low voltage system (47V) but still be careful, take time stripping wires right, cable tie them to the frame. If you can see any exposed core you have fucked it, try again.

DISCLAIMER- key accepts no responsibility for damage caused to persons, or property. This is not electrical advise, just a parts guide.

Don’t pm me asking where to get stuff , post questions in this thread. PMs will be ignored.

@mods Any issues with this please let me know.

is U Chanel aluminium enough heat sinkage for these.. i have seen a guide that says it needs more. awsome post btw 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How does this build stand up now?

Are the strips still good value for the money or is there a newer/better strip out now?

Do these do the job? thinking of getting the 210w version for my 80 x 80 veg tent, 2 x 4000k and 1 x 3000k strips

@MyDisplayName2000 were these worth the money? are you still using it?

Edited by Subutai
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 01/08/2018 at 11:06 AM, Key said:

@Dope 150w works well. But there's no harm building the 210w if you have the budget. Just don't run it full wack to start with, always build up from 50% till you find the sweet spot.

fuckme 2 years ok that went quick.

@diyleduk

• Like 2

I see the f series are now down to £18 for singles £16 for 10+....

And if I'm looking at the right strips (I might not be) the hi influx are now down to £13/12 a strip depending how many you order...

I can see my bank account taking another wallop in the not too distant future lol

Other things too do/buy first though, need to double up the highlight for starters and maybe an extraction upgrade too...

Money money money eh!

• Like 4

I still have my f-strips, these done me proud and introduced me into "proper" led lighting  lol

I've since moved onto a qx board but i ended up sticking some of diyleduks heatsinks on the f-strips when i took em down even tho I knew I was putting them in a cupboard to be forgotten about I couldn't stand the thought of that ugly hand cut unfinished u channel heatsink no more lol

I may bring em out of retirement and make a little strawberry factory for the kids  

• Like 2