Gorilla - Grow Diary Attempt

AKPOG

On 25/06/2018 at 6:01 PM, Dinafem-Mark said:

So far from what I can see both 1 and 2 look very healthy. Nice dark green, no signs of any deficiency or needing feed so I would just keep things as they are unless you think other wise ;)

Thanks @Dinafem-Mark , much appreciated :yep:

On 25/06/2018 at 6:01 PM, Dinafem-Mark said:

Your half way into the stretch phase which looks quite minimal so far :)

Oooooohhhhh! Why did you have to mention stretch mate?! Gorilla 2 has leaped into stretch mode now, so I've had to bondage her up some more! :chains::smoke:

They both seem to respond ever so well from topping, tying & would make a superb scrog! The bottom branches have all leaped to the top making an excellent canopy on Gorilla 1. 

Gorilla 2 might need some more training to keep her down at the other plants canopy though. 

So it's becoming more apparent by the day that I have differing phenos, so I hope to have a variation in effects once harvested :bong:

Until next week :yinyang:

• Like 1

Update, but not a satisfying one! :thumbdown:

Basically, Gorilla 2 has male bollocks all over it! Now I'm as modern day as the next guy, but I'm afraid hermaphrodites aren't something I'd let live :pitchfork:

Here it is (Gorilla 2 Hermaphrodite):

large.5b33f70e62a81_Gorilla2_13daysHermaphradite_2.jpglarge.Gorilla2_Hermaphradite_3.jpglarge.5b33f70758078_Gorilla2_13daysHermaphradite_1.jpg

I haven't composted it yet, as I'm hoping someone will say they are not male flowers amongst female ones, but I doubt it & in which case it's coming down tomorrow & I hope my other girls have not been pollinated already?

Gorilla 1 is doing fantastic so far though, so without further adieu:

large.5b33f6feb438e_Gorilla1_13daysFlower_2.jpglarge.5b33f6fc778a5_Gorilla1_13daysFlower_1.jpg

Temps have been hitting in the mid 30's, so I've switched my digital ballast to 400W , which has helped. Although I've just ordered a DarkStar Air Cooled reflector foe use with q dedicated fan, as this summer is getting hot hot hot!  I hope then I'll be able to switch back to 600W and get a bit closer to the canopy.

Gorilla 1 is a lovely bushy stocky plant, which is a gem to grow so far, it's such a shame about Gorilla 2, but she was a runt at the start & if there are 1 runt per 10,000, then I'm the poor fucked that gets it! lol:rofl:

Until next time :yinyang:

• Like 6

I'm no expert on this, but they certainly look like a set of nuts to me, let's hope #1 makes up for his kinky twisted lil sister :)

I guess as #2 was the runt of the bunch it's more likely to suffer from a dip in the cheap end of the gene pool, I'll keep an eye out on mine as well, just in case it's something the strain has tendencies for. 

• Like 3

Right! I'm so gutted about Gorilla 2 that I can't yet have the heart to pull it! So I've pulled all the male flowers I could see off for now & see how it goes for a few days. 

I'm sure more male flowers will grow, in which case as soon as I see any more then this plant is going on the compost!

:yinyang:

• Like 2

if its a male, why bother wasting light on it? 

I would just pull it to save any possibility of it seeding anything, to be honest

• Like 3

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

if its a male, why bother wasting light on it? 

I would just pull it to save any possibility of it seeding anything, to be honest

Thanks for your reply mate. It's not a male though, it's a hermaphrodite, with mainly female flowers on. 

However, as you say, if it continues having male flowers them it's getting composted. But the sad thing is that the main female flowers are coming on better than the genuine female Gorilla so far! :wallbash:

• Like 4

Yeah thanks mate, I am aware & it's coming out I think. The only reason I've considered keeping it & give it a 2nd chance is because it's a diary & it's so healthy with good looking buds forming.

But the last time I got a hermaphrodite was many moons ago & it pollinated itself but my other plants fortunately didn't seed, although it's not worth the risk of my other plants this time to be honest. :smokin:

• Like 3

On 29/06/2018 at 11:33 AM, AKPOG said:

Yeah thanks mate, I am aware & it's coming out I think. The only reason I've considered keeping it & give it a 2nd chance is because it's a diary & it's so healthy with good looking buds forming.

But the last time I got a hermaphrodite was many moons ago & it pollinated itself but my other plants fortunately didn't seed, although it's not worth the risk of my other plants this time to be honest. :smokin:

Personally I would get it out mate :(

Never good to see any hermaphrodite issue as we try to minimise this every step of the way. It could have hermied for a few reasons but I'm going to say heat stress :yep:

So sorry about this mate :( I'll get it reported to the breeding team to see if anymore reports have come in :bong:

Its never nice to lose a plant but would be worse to have a seeded crop. My advice would be to chop her/it/him down (not sure what's politically correct in this situation lol ) and let the remaing plants benefit from that extra light. Your yield will be reduced due to the loss of the 1 plant but now there is more lumens this could be made up :yep:

Let us know how you get on mate and as always thank you for the diary update  :)

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 3

Hi Mark,

It could be heat issues, so I'm dropping my digital ballast to 400W for the first few hours, then up to 600W later as long as its cool enough to keep my tent under 30℃.

Just in case it's sensitivity to a pinhole I don't know about I've pulled all male flowers off, which was all lower growth that was coming off anyway & made sure the room my tent is in is also dark to eliminate any light pollution possibilities.

I've been monitoring them & as much as every pistle looks like balls to me now, I can't see any new male tendencies yet! But if any more balls start coming through its definitely coming out.

I'll try and get some new pics up, as they are both starting to form some nice buds now & look so healthy! :bong:

• Like 3

I don't know if pulling the pollen off would actually resolve this - is it not a case of the plants genetics have been altered to produce male organs?  Once hermism is present in a plant, would it not be exceptionally prone to reproduce the male organs?

I'd bin it mate, or i'd be in there twice a day to check every node which is something I wouldn't like to try and maintain for 8 weeks.

Maybe (hopefully) i'm totally wrong on this one, it's not something I have any knowledge on.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, unity said:

I don't know if pulling the pollen off would actually resolve this - is it not a case of the plants genetics have been altered to produce male organs?  Once hermism is present in a plant, would it not be exceptionally prone to reproduce the male organs?

I'd bin it mate, or i'd be in there twice a day to check every node which is something I wouldn't like to try and maintain for 8 weeks.

Maybe (hopefully) i'm totally wrong on this one, it's not something I have any knowledge on.

If it has shown hermaphrodite tendencies then this is very likely to re occur even if you take of all male sacks. 

I have seen this before with only the bottom say 1/4 of the plant effected so node 5 and below after this the rest of the plant grew out fine and showed no more signs of this. With the heat being the way it is I'm not 100 or even 50% confident to say this won't happen or re occur. 

If you are vigilant and remove every make flower things will be ok but this is a lot of maintenance as you know.

Let us know how you get on mate and again really sorry this has happened. 

All the best 

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 4

Hi @Dinafem-Mark& @unity

To be honest, after reading your replies I could think of nothing else & decided to check again today & I found two more balls. I might have just missed them first time round, but I can't chance it. So as gut wrenching it was, I've followed the general advice & composted it. :puke:

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, AKPOG said:

Hi @Dinafem-Mark& @unity

To be honest, after reading your replies I could think of nothing else & decided to check again today & I found two more balls. I might have just missed them first time round, but I can't chance it. So as gut wrenching it was, I've followed the general advice & composted it. :puke:

By far the best move  :)

We never like to see this happen and we do massive vigorous testing to prevent these issue but even the best testing can not stop the occasional issue, for this please accept our apologies as I know how much work has gone in so far just to get to this stage. 

Now the problem child is not of the room. Try training those branches into the area where that plant was and all being well the gap will be filled with no significant loss of yield  :yep:

Best move imo  :)

All the best 

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 3