Grower not a shower

13 minutes ago, Green demon said:

Hey dude the seeds/lings should get going quicker in the coco vs root riot once sprouted.

I started my first load of seeds in coco and watered with just rhizoctonic and they instantly showed deficiencies. 

I now feed seedlings in coco from the get go, just a low EC of .8. A&B, root stim, and cal mag.

I was planning on starting on starting the formulex after swing the first set of leaves but since the coco had dried out I decided just to make some up now and give it a very light watering. Each seed only got 10-15ml of water. I’ll use the leftovers to keep everything moist, including the pellets then switch to ionic grow after seeing some leaves 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, botanics said:

Grow them well bud, will tag along :lucky:

Nice one mate. With experience like yours around hopefully you can catch me before I do anything stupid haha 

• Like 2

Anyone got any ideas about this ec reading of 0.0 in my tap water? Could it really be 0 or is my stick not calibrated properly?  Would using fluid at 2.76 instead of 2.8 make a difference during calibration? 

• Like 2

That's a strange one mate, the calibration fluid seems fine it's always like that 2.76 and not 2.8. 

I'd definitely get a loan of an EC pen just to check everything is ok, I've never heard of tap water with zero EC it always has something in it.... even rain water has a very low EC reading 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crentz said:

That's a strange one mate, the calibration fluid seems fine it's always like that 2.76 and not 2.8. 

I'd definitely get a loan of an EC pen just to check everything is ok, I've never heard of tap water with zero EC it always has something in it.... even rain water has a very low EC reading 

When I made up that little bit of formulex and SuperDrive I tested it and the ph Dropped to around ph6.3 (from 7.4) and ec went up to 1.2 so it’s reading something. I’ll see if I can get a shot of one off a mate

• Like 1

I get 0.0 from my tapwater as well, see what it reads once you've mixed your feed, mine comes to life then.....

I've had the same truncheon for years and has never let me down, doesn't need calibration and I trust it.

I grow dwc so ec is pretty critical and I'm getting the same readings every week on res change,

measured by the feed/ water ratio against the truncheon. With zero readings from the tap my peak feed level is 0.9

:oldtoker:

• Like 3

Hello mate....try this nute calculator for ionic/formulex  I can only get it to work in internet explorer.  It will give you an idea...best with large quantities but with a syringe and jug you will manage fyi I just gave it a go for fomulex for 250ml if your tap water is 0.3 to give you an ec of 1.0 you'd need 0.9 ml of formulex

http://www.growthtechnology.com/calc/

Edited by sroporilshoot
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I get 0.0 from my tapwater as well, see what it reads once you've mixed your feed, mine comes to life then.....

I've had the same truncheon for years and has never let me down, doesn't need calibration and I trust it.

I grow dwc so ec is pretty critical and I'm getting the same readings every week on res change,

measured by the feed/ water ratio against the truncheon. With zero readings from the tap my peak feed level is 0.9

It jumps up after adding feed do maybe we do just have really nice tap water haha. 

The HortiStick was £100 so not like it’s garbage and it’s fresh out the box. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, stu914 said:

If you guys are getting zero EC from tap water then your lucky fuc**rs:D no need for ro water. 

Formulex has a ph stabiliser in it mate so this is why it drops your ph down:yes:

I use reverse osmosis water that has a ppm of 9 and ph 7, when I mix my nutrients the ph drops to 5.6..... I leave it at 5.6 and it usually drifts to 6.0 and stabilises after a day or so:D

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sroporilshoot said:

Hello mate....try this nute calculator for ionic/formulex  I can only get it to work in internet explorer.  It will give you an idea...best with large quantities but with a syringe and jug you will manage fyi I just gave it a go for fomulex for 250ml if your tap water is 0.3 to give you an ec of 1.0 you'd need 0.9 ml of formulex

http://www.growthtechnology.com/calc/

Thanks bud. I’ll see if the laptop will fire into life and have a look at that. 

Move git a jug and few syringes for mixing and a big bucket for when things ramp up. 

Stupid question time. How do you mix your nutes? This is how I think I understand I and will run through as if making up 1ltr of water according to bottle instructions. 

1. Full jug to 1l and test ph/ec

2. Add 5ml formulex. To do this I suck up some water from the jug into the syringe followed by 5ml formulex. 

3. Add 1ml SuperDrive. I follow the same method as anove

4. Squirt each syringe back into the jug and mix. 

5. Retest ph/ec and adjust using ph up or down as necessary. 

6. Water each plant until slight slight run off 

• Like 1

Hello mate...I don't use coco and only use ionic one part hydro/grow. formulex for mebs 3 days.   How I do it is, get me amount of water  (tepid)  use that calculator then add the required dose to the water.  mix it a little and check the ec...it should be somewhere near what the calculator says  I don't know about the other stuff but that will bump up the ec.  Any you have in riots are okay with what's in the riots, until you put them in your media, if the medias inert, you'll have give it something.  The riots are fine, just don;t let them dry out, they won't if your careful, try not to get them to wet or tamper with them.

Let them have a couple or 3 days in the riot before moving in to the media

Cheers

• Like 2

Just now, Crentz said:

That's where your 1.2 EC is coming from mate, 1ml of super thrive is crazy:(

Formulex says to have an ec of 1.0 so 0.2 isn’t too much of a worry especially if I can just use a little less. 

Doesn't help me to tell if my tap tap water really is ec 0.0 tho. If it really is 0 then brilliant. But if it’s higher and I don’t allow for it I’ll do all sorts of damage. 

Feeling slightly better after hearing @stu914also has ec0 tap water but still gonna try to borrow one

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sroporilshoot said:

Hello mate...I don't use coco and only use ionic one part hydro/grow. formulex for mebs 3 days.   How I do it is, get me amount of water  (tepid)  use that calculator then add the required dose to the water.  mix it a little and check the ec...it should be somewhere near what the calculator says  I don't know about the other stuff but that will bump up the ec.  Any you have in riots are okay with what's in the riots, until you put them in your media, if the medias inert, you'll have give it something.  The riots are fine, just don;t let them dry out, they won't if your careful, try not to get them to wet or tamper with them.

Let them have a couple or 3 days in the riot before moving in to the media

Cheers

Cheers mate. 

I’ll get that calculator looked at later on once the wee man is in bed. 

• Like 1