autodog 3: Frisian duck + autos

@@DutchPassionTony, the cuts have been a success and I didnt lose any.

It was easy to do, only need Clonex and clingfilm to make clones, a cheap mini propagating box.

One 3 pack of fem seeds has grown me a flock of Frisian Ducks.

The first 3 top cuttings rooted fast about 3 weeks to pot up. Other cuts took a bit longer to root, so for me growing from seed seems quicker and less fuss.

Its very satisfying to grow out the cuts and essential knowledge if growing on a tight budget.

The auto Mazar and the auto Blackberry Kush are hatched, small and perfect but the auto Euforia isnt showing yet so Im

going to pop annother seed and from my collection, an auto Colorado Cookie to keep her company.

The Forest Dream fems are doing ok, but the auto Frisian Dew which are 4 days younger, make them look slow.

The Dreams are going into my grilla plot today cos they re growing through their 6l airpots

Now the indoor grow is so quiet, I've settled into a nice rythm of popping auto seeds 3 at a time, potting up 2 weeks later into 5 or 6 litre pots and planting in ground at about 4 weeks.

Seedlings in starter pots come in the light at night time and outside again in the morning.

Autos veg outside in the 5 litre pot for 2 weeks.

Turn up that big light!

@@912GreenSkell thanks for the compliment good buddy.The Auto Fris Dew Im impressed with the power and vigour of growth so far.

The 3rd plant is only half the size of the other 2 though

Yeah, Im following your method where I can, 912 style. You're my backyard guru.

This is where I've been goin wrong with the Forest Dream... pots too big for vegging a sativa and coco waay too wet. The girls have been planted out in a sunny grilla plot. Very awkward to get into with tools to redig the soil and carry in 2 five week old plants through thick undergrowth. They look happier in the much drier native soil ( some chick pellets and fbb in april )

They've got plenty of space to spread, about 3' square each, well dug and reasonably derooted. I hope.

Need to get back now to camo the bare earth with grass cuttings and plant debris.

Airships and other airborn steam punk pirates seeking loot

@@912GreenSkell thanks for the compliment good buddy.The Auto Fris Dew Im impressed with the power and vigour of growth so far.

The 3rd plant is only half the size of the other 2 though

Yeah, Im following your method where I can, 912 style. You're my backyard guru.

Being a guy that grows every seed that sprouts(unless there is something seriously wrong with it) i can say for sure that not all plants are meant to be gigantic. Some seeds have limitations right out of the gate. Currently on my end:

DP Brooklyn Sunrise Day 24

Day 24 Brooklyn Sunrise Auto

DP Autoultimate Day 24

Day 24 autoultimate

Haha yeah i know! Right out of the gate that AU was a rough start(broke the soils surface with a yellowing cotyledon)....and with autos a rough start means a diminished size and eventually a diminished harvest.

The A. Brooklyn Sunrise looks good mate happy days

My A. Durbans are slow now, I think cos they're in coco in pots outside and the pots wont dry out. Going back to soil.

The A. Brooklyn Sunrise looks good mate happy days

My A. Durbans are slow now, I think cos they're in coco in pots outside and the pots wont dry out. Going back to soil.

I was actually just talking about this on another forum. The guys i was chatting with, were saying that Coco generally gives younger seedings a slower start than soil. No idea why, but the guys i am referring to really know their growing! But in the end they have grand plants, which is all that really matters!! I run my girls in PromixHP.

Thats interesting... I use compost and coco side by side indoors under hps and in my set up the coco seems faster in veg than compost. That's why I tried a few of the outdoor potted plants in coco to give them an early boost. It hasn't been successful because the pots won't dry out. I reckon the coco was holding rainwater and soaking up dew and moisture from the air so they couldn'nt thrive or feed, wet roots.

The plants in compost in pots have been fine by comparison.

I planted up the Auto Durbans into 5l compo pots and they cheered up straight away despite the disturbance to the rootball which was loose, unformed.

Very pleased with my early Duck plant out. I have to expand the cages often enough. The cages protect the plants, but now I set them out for training the branches too. The Wood Duck is over 4' wide, very bushy, the 50l Duck is chest high.

All my outdoor girls that are in pots are growing in Verve compost from the Home store, quite cheap but not bad.

Im using tomato food at half strength (1.2 ec). I hope it's not a sin cos the plants seem to like it

Its all a grand experiment my friend!! Very interesting indeed!

4' wide wood duck= awesome!! Nice man...gonna be awesome!!

It will be interesting to see how big the Ducks get, but it sounds like they've had a great start so far. I think a lot of people would walk straight past a Frisian Duck and not give it a second glance

You re right Tony people dont notice them. They could be in grown in view but mine are concealed. In pots, trained, they actually resemble strawberry plants at the moment. Im amazed how big they have become and how hardy, putting on growth through the whole chilly month of April, and now its warm, they're rampant, big mothers

@@912GreenSkell, awesome indeed good buddy. I've got one Duck growing in a 10litre spliff type hole, she looks well but tiny against

her sisters grown in big digs 912 style.

The autodog's first and second grows are posted on the Autoflowering pages and I loved seeing

my project on the screen, meeting some top growers and sharing the joy of home cannabis

growing.

I'm grateful to uk420 for this and also to Dutch Passion for hosting what I hope will be

my grow diary for late winter into spring

gallery_96585_12382_58751.jpg

These are the autoultimates above, shown at 7 days, now at 22 days

Below, the auto night queen seeds going into coco/compost mix

gallery_96585_12382_352095.jpg

The auto nightqueens are showing their first pairs of leaves now.

4 autoultimates

4 auto night queens

most excited about the ducklings

gallery_96585_12382_133894.jpg

These are fems and all three are popping up their heads. Above, my planting kit

Hoping these babies will be growing in my garden and gorilla patch in april,

cloned if we can get that far

gallery_96585_12382_185075.jpg

I ve wanted to grow these since I heard about the purple flowers and cunning ducks foot leaves

which I believe should blend in with the shapes of the native plants round my garden.

I ordered these and the autoultimates direct from DP and paid the extra for the uber courier service, swift efficient.

The auto night queens were obtained local retail, cheaper

Here is the grow room gallery_96585_12382_75226.jpg

Autoultimates a few days ago, seedlings under mesh sun screen.

Plenty of space for the autodog to sunbathe

Good seein your comments and advice

and any random stuff

Thanks for lookin, talk soon

dog :oldtoker:

I love your grow room

You re right Tony people dont notice them. They could be in grown in view but mine are concealed. In pots, trained, they actually resemble strawberry plants at the moment. Im amazed how big they have become and how hardy, putting on growth through the whole chilly month of April, and now its warm, they're rampant, big mothers

@@912GreenSkell, awesome indeed good buddy. I've got one Duck growing in a 10litre spliff type hole, she looks well but tiny against

her sisters grown in big digs 912 style.

Hell yes buddy!! Rock n' rolling now!! Now that you have a solid wide root base and an opened canopy which will allow maximum sun absorbtion through the many exposed leaves, the growth will be sweet from here on out!

So this is the point where i would start thinning out weak underformed branches. If a secondary branch is formed on the underside of a primary branch it might as well be cut out, so better exposed branches won't get their growth sapped to weak under developed branches when it comes time to flower.

Edited by 912GreenSkell

I've only just found this diary and what a great read it is. Loads of good advice, great ideas and interesting plants. I'm growing Forest Dream outdoors at the moment too, and have just started some Auto Durban Poison, so it will be very interesting to watch how yours develop. I was surprised by the broad leaves on Forest Dream too, it doesn't look at all like a sativa at the moment – but that may change when it gets going a bit more.

I have a "no cull" policy too for exactly the reasons given by 912GreenSkell – you sometimes get really nice surprises from the ones which look like duds! Well, and I'm probably a bit too sentimental to cull them anyway to be honest. One of my Forest Dream seeds produced twins and I had to separate them, but instead of killing the tiny runty one I popped it into its own pot and lovingly nurtured it and now it's starting to grow like a rocket. So at the very least I've got an extra plant out of it, and I have a feeling it might be a good'un. Many years ago when I first started growing I had a stunted hermie which I didn't have the heart to pull up, and it turned out to have the strongest and most pleasant high of the whole crop – contrary to everything I've ever read about hermies. That taught me never to give up on anything unless it was truly beyond hope.

Best of the luck with the grow, they're looking brilliant so far. Love the Frisian Duck!

• Like 1

So this is the point where i would start thinning out weak underformed branches. If a secondary branch is formed on the underside of a primary branch it might as well be cut out, so better exposed branches won't get their growth sapped to weak under developed branches when it comes time to flower.

Hi dude, I was just going to ask you about this. Thanks. There 's quite a lot of trimming to do and I've made a start. Our sunny spell has ended in days of thunder and rain though.

gallery_96585_12382_177413.jpg

Here's a 15litre Duck cutting plant out in one of my new 912 plots. This babe is raring to go.