315w CMH. They work fine and dandy.

lazi

It was more one light covering 3' x 3' that I'm interested in. So 4 lights (1260w) to cover 6 foot by 6.

If you reckon that one light can cover 4 foot by 4, then 3 foot by 3 should be no problem.

@@lazi

I don't think that one 315w will cover a 4 foot area. Two gives a better umols per m2 than a 600w HPS does in a 4 foot space - I think it'll be fine in 3ft by 3ft.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest UK Caregiver

I use the 315w D Papillon with the 4200k lamp. It's very good! I even use the 4200k lamp for flowering too. Growing with such a supreme light that brings half the heat of a 600w hps it worth the money alone. Last grow the plants prayed to the light for the entire grow, literally from seed to harvest the plants just loved it! I run it in a 1.0m bud box with 4 x 32w osram leds. I believe the 4200k peaks at 630nm, so the leds complete it nicely with 660nm in there. I don't weigh my weed, but reckon it produced 80-90% of what my 600w 400v lumtaek produced. Also I can get the D Pap as close as a 250w hps. The hand test feels like the 250w hps gives off more heat. The light spread is just so good. I bought it used, but would easily pay £475 of fleabay which comes with both lamps. The drop in light at 12'' away and 18'' away is minimal.

• Like 4

@UK Caregiver

Nice set up, I like your use of the LEDs - thats the proper way to do it IMO! Keep us posted on those little ones under the cups will you? I used the mastercolour lamp for flowering on my last grow and thought it was awesome - much like yourself the plants seemed to pray to the light from taking them in until the accidents started happening, but I won't go into that lol but I thought I'd tried the agro lamps for flowering this time round and I am much more impressed with them for flowering, the buds are ginormous. Much bigger than I've had when myself and friends have grown it under HPS! I'm keen to see how you get on and importantly what the flowers look like when they're in the final weeks - I think they look a bit different under CMH, bit more wild looking.

Peace :v:

Guest UK Caregiver

@UK Caregiver

Nice set up, I like your use of the LEDs - thats the proper way to do it IMO! Keep us posted on those little ones under the cups will you? I used the mastercolour lamp for flowering on my last grow and thought it was awesome - much like yourself the plants seemed to pray to the light from taking them in until the accidents started happening, but I won't go into that lol but I thought I'd tried the agro lamps for flowering this time round and I am much more impressed with them for flowering, the buds are ginormous. Much bigger than I've had when myself and friends have grown it under HPS! I'm keen to see how you get on and importantly what the flowers look like when they're in the final weeks - I think they look a bit different under CMH, bit more wild looking.

Peace :v:

I will do. I'm doing a journal here which I just started. Those little ladies are sweet skunk auto's on day 2 from seed. I'm growing with the lumatek 400v on 440w, the D Pap and also couldn't resist a grow with the philips master 400w 4500k on a mag ballast, after the last grow with white light, I just had to try it. I know the philips master isn't cmh, but it's not too far off. It makes looking at the plants crystal clear.

• Like 2

Decided on a 630w dimlux dual CMH unit for my first look into these. About £570 delivered from Europe.

Replacing my last magnetic ballast in the house. Be glad to be rid of those boiling hot plastic pieces of crap.

Gonna try it between a couple HPS for the rest of the cold weather. Then maybe try it in my veg tent in summer to replace a Sunmaster FX doing 250w in summer to 600w now in winter. See what sort of wattage I can handle in summer with it. Fully dimmable so confident in year round use.

Will have to do a full cycle with just it itself aswell. Been researching for a long time.

Just need to get the funds together and it's next grow buy next month or so. Can't wait.

I'm still not decided on which bulbs! Probably one of each lol

• Like 2

@@Stoned Whale

I'd love one of the 630 dimlux/epap units I'm a bit annoyed at myself I dropped the money on the maxi's instead to save a few quid but ah well thats life isnt it - can't wait to see what you can do with it! I would two two of each lamps, use the mastercolour for veg/last weeks of flower (or 50/50 them) but seriously get the agro lamps I am so impressed with them in terms of plant growth over the mastercolour. We'll see what the yields like in a couple of weeks :v:

• Like 1

With the various brands of 315w lights, I think it comes down to which reflector you prefer. For a 4 foot by 4 space, the single bulb Maxibright reflector doesn't look so great. For a 3 foot/1 metre square space it looks ideal.

With my mates Double D-pap, there is more heat and light just to the side of the bulbs than directly under them. Just about covers 4 foot wide on the side of the cab that the ends of the bulbs are pointing to. The reflector itself seems to spread out a fair bit more than 4 foot. So 2 Double D-paps in an 8 foot by 4 space would do nicely imo, the crossover light should aid growth.

• Like 1

@@lazi

I'm thinking about just swapping the E40 on a normal reflector for the PGZ off the maxi's, any suggestions on which reflector? Parabolics would be nice, but I don't have the space for 4 in my 1.2 x 2.4 lol

• Like 1

@@Stoned Whale

I'd love one of the 630 dimlux/epap units I'm a bit annoyed at myself I dropped the money on the maxi's instead to save a few quid but ah well thats life isnt it - can't wait to see what you can do with it! I would two two of each lamps, use the mastercolour for veg/last weeks of flower (or 50/50 them) but seriously get the agro lamps I am so impressed with them in terms of plant growth over the mastercolour. We'll see what the yields like in a couple of weeks :v:

If I could have found a single 315w for £300 I think that would have leaned me towards the single bulb unit but the price for the double was saving too much.

Yeild and veg / flower performance seems impressive under any of the bulbs but everyone seems to rave that little bit more over the agros! lol

With the various brands of 315w lights, I think it comes down to which reflector you prefer. For a 4 foot by 4 space, the single bulb Maxibright reflector doesn't look so great. For a 3 foot/1 metre square space it looks ideal.

With my mates Double D-pap, there is more heat and light just to the side of the bulbs than directly under them. Just about covers 4 foot wide on the side of the cab that the ends of the bulbs are pointing to. The reflector itself seems to spread out a fair bit more than 4 foot. So 2 Double D-paps in an 8 foot by 4 space would do nicely imo, the crossover light should aid growth.

This was my biggest issue, and why I took so long to decide. I am supplementing a canopy not a sole unit grow, so the maxibright didn't look right. But I kept reading reports exactly like you say about the dimlux reflector / double d-papillion like reflectors, where they cover about 4ft depth but the reflectors can adjust how far wide the spread goes very well. The 630w apparently still puts good amounts of light down at 2m wide spread.

I want to fit it between two 1m parabolics, running dimmable 1kw lumatek 240vs (600 in summer or with the MH in between, unsure about the CMH), I currently supplement a MH in middle at times. Space is about 2.8m by 1.5m wide out from wall. Work space in between the two 1000 /600ws when I don't have the MH in between and just create a giant canopy when it is.

I hope to be able to supplement the majority of both of these 1kws with the unit, and have a nice solid mostly CMH supplemented by the HPS at either side in the middle for the truely lovely stuff. In summer maybe abandon both HPS and just do a flower with the CMH, depending on jars and stuff I suppose.

My veg tent is 2.4 by 1.2 and I run a 250w - 600w (time of year dependant again) alongside a big T5 panel (seeds nd clones nd mums). A 1m parabolic is covering about 2m by 1.2m with the T5 the rest at one end. I think this 630w unit would cover this area better than the parabolic, better veg spectrum, dimmable for time of year etc.

So two perfect situations I think for the 630w unit to be tried out in I reckon...

@@lazi

I'm thinking about just swapping the E40 on a normal reflector for the PGZ off the maxi's, any suggestions on which reflector? Parabolics would be nice, but I don't have the space for 4 in my 1.2 x 2.4 lol

This is what I was waiting on someone to do and I was gonna follow along with some DIY myself but not too sure I can be bothered! lol

What about some contraption like this made for the CMHs? I'm not sure youd fit even two of these in a tent that size but god damn I bet it'd be bloody great spread if you could.

https://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=283599

Baudelaires dual parabolic guide. There are pics that make it look like you'd maybe get two in a 1.2 by 2.4.....

Every time I'm browsing lights I can't help but want parabolics, never had the even heat and coverage from any other shape.

E2a: 4 in a mega reflector like this I just found furthur in baudelaires thread! http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=550339

Edited by Stoned Whale
  • Like 2

good bump for finding Buds thread about the dual para :yep:

& for those thats interested, he also put 2 80cm para's together as well & he said that they'd be ideal in a 1.2 tent.

he's got a few pics of the para half way down on page 4 of his original thread. Here

• Like 2

This is what I was waiting on someone to do and I was gonna follow along with some DIY myself but not too sure I can be bothered! lol

What about some contraption like this made for the CMHs? I'm not sure youd fit even two of these in a tent that size but god damn I bet it'd be bloody great spread if you could.

https://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=283599

Baudelaires dual parabolic guide. There are pics that make it look like you'd maybe get two in a 1.2 by 2.4.....

Every time I'm browsing lights I can't help but want parabolics, never had the even heat and coverage from any other shape.

E2a: 4 in a mega reflector like this I just found furthur in baudelaires thread! http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=550339

good bump for finding Buds thread about the dual para :yep:

& for those thats interested, he also put 2 80cm para's together as well & he said that they'd be ideal in a 1.2 tent.

he's got a few pics of the para half way down on page 4 of his original thread. Here

haha I've considered the multi parabolics! But I quite like the idea of each lamp being in its own reflector, that way there are more points of light from above making for a more uniform canopy - I've thought about maybe using adjusta-wings, but I dunno about open reflectors as there is a lot of light lost (maybe if I put them head to head?)

I use lower wattage CMHs too. It's not well known, but people are growing with them all over europe.

They are used everywhere as shop lights ( Philips CDM-T & Osram Powerball HCI ).

You can get a used 150W kit with an electronic ballast for about 30€, new bulbs are about 10€.

They work just fine, much better than HPS. The light spectrum is much closer to the sun as well.

You won't be disappointed :).

I have looked for the 150w cmh as my ballast will run them but I can't find them

Wizard :oldtoker:

• Like 1