315w CMH. They work fine and dandy.

lazi

Never heard of them and google just brings up links for Chinese importers, I'd usually recommend going with manufacturers that test and publish the ballast and bulb performance for Par/umol output, but you pay your money and you take your chance, personally I'd pay the extra and get something trusted and proved as after all, we're not growing lettuces.

• Like 4

To be fair a 315w will keep the temps alot lower that the 600w hps but yield will be a few ounces less...then if you put 2 x 315w in the tent you will get an awesome yield but the temps will be similar to the 600w hps....if you want something good for the summer I'd recommend getting a good LED lamp...something that draws 300-400w will easily yield like a 600w hps with even better resin production in my experience..

Are you just making this up as you go along? What exactly is your experience?

• Like 3

@@CBDbob I do OK with temps in the summer generally speaking but my thoughts are this: If you can use these CMH bulbs then why wouldn't you? LED isn't something I'd need to get to learn to use I don't think so I'll rule them out for now. I'm thinking of giving these CMH bulbs a go. I don't understand it but just going by some of these posts it seems a no brainer...but then theres all these figures and talk about lumens and stuff and I'm lost. Then there will be those that stick to HPS and I won't understand that either lol maybe I should just put my head on the block and sod the consequences if any. Depends, obviously cost plays its part.

Edited by Chester Copperpot

Are you just making this up as you go along? What exactly is your experience?

Well sanctuary I have done several grows with an led lamp 420w actual draw and managed better yields than with a 600w...just because I'm new here dosent mean I no nothing

• Like 1

@@Chester Copperpot cmh provide a better spectrum of light than hps lamps and are slightly more efficient, we measure light from a fixture (bulb,shade & ballast) as par and not by lumens as this is light measured that the human eye can see, and not a measurement of what is useful for plants which typically will be listed as umol or micromoles.

Certain spectrums of light are more useful for plants so you may have two lamps that have similar umol outputs, like a hps and a cmh, but because one has a spectrum more tailored for plant growth it could potentially give you a improved yield and quality, it's more white,uv and blue light that is the improvement over dual spectrum and straight hps.

• Like 3

Well sanctuary I have done several grows with an led lamp 420w actual draw and managed better yields than with a 600w...just because I'm new here dosent mean I no nothing

Ok but that doesn't make it a fact, diy panels and expensive cob units are still only just matching cmh/hps de lamps if that, and there's still little proof of them doing so, I'm yet to see any led manufacturers release par outputs.

What are your yields from a 600w hps?

Nice one @@Mugwuffin :yep: Yeah the goonies, great film lol

Nah I got 2 600w magnetic ballasts with euro reflectors. I do have 2 diamonds too but I only ever use 1 x 600w light, the extra gear is just from buying new and not throwing out the old. Probably should get round to that actually. So no, I'd be starting fresh I can't use them ballasts. OK so the bulbs are 40 quid, would I need 1 or 2 of them to match the 600w HPS? Also what ballast(s)? If dimmable are OK I could go for that and still be able to use HPS if needed. I have looked online but not a lot about them. Greens don't seem to stock them and it looks like its a manufacturers gig at the moment but that could be me overlooking others. It's all about saving money isn't it and if this is the way to do it then I'm up for it basically :yep:

@@~Sanctuary~ thanks for that truely :yep: I got my head around that now. Why isn't this the norm, why still HPS. Probably because its new and/or people stick to what they know.. I got till mid this year before going for it.

Edited by Chester Copperpot
  • Like 1

This summer I'm going to run just the 400w CMH with some strains I've grown before to get a better feel for the bulb, I reckon go for a single 400w maybe double up later ? And you can get an Adjusta-watt 600w digi for around £120 (I have one, great build quality and a 5 year guarantee) but there are others you can get sub £100, will give you about 10% extra output too, aswell as a 'super lumen' switch to run 600w HPS at 660w ;)

@@Chester Copperpot I've left you a PM with the link to where I brought my lamp (good service, fast delivery)

Edited by Mugwuffin
  • Like 1

Ok but that doesn't make it a fact, diy panels and expensive cob units are still only just matching cmh/hps de lamps if that, and there's still little proof of them doing so, I'm yet to see any led manufacturers release par outputs.

What are your yields from a 600w hps?

My average yields for a 600w hps is around 18 oz and I grow lower yield higher quality strains like RP sour kush...the last grow with my led lamp (2 years ago) got 20 and a half ounces from autos DP think different and pineapple chunk... I reckon with a good photo strain I'd get 24 easy in soil....when I start my next grow I will do a dairy
  • Like 2

Laugh all you want...that just means you are a shit grower

How much do you get from a 600w? And have you ever grew with a good LED?

I'm not derailing this thread, so I'll leave it there and just remember to ignore you from now on :yep:

• Like 4