315w CMH. They work fine and dandy.

lazi

@badbillybob

Cheers mate, I have had a look at those 240PARs and they look sweet, I am currently using a Spider famer 1000 to light a corner of the tent occupied by a very tall plant but realistically that won't cut it to replace a 315w . 

@SkyRiderhow do you reckon the light output compares between the CMH and the PAR 240 and why do you wish to go all LED can I ask ? Is it for the long term costs/efficiency or do you reckon it affects quality too?  

@ledgrowlights-CraigI've taken a look at your lights and they look sweet man. Would you recommend the PAR 240 as a straight replacement for a 315w CMH ? Is there any advantage to running a CMH Elite with a LED fixture vs 2 LED fixtures alone re spectrum in my space.? I am not so concerned re cost of electricity, and I don't have a continuous grow. Temps are a worry though in summer especially! 

Cheers, 

DS

Edited by desertshaman
Grammar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, desertshaman said:

@SkyRiderhow do you reckon the light output compares between the CMH and the PAR 240 and why do you wish to go all LED can I ask ? Is it for the long term costs/efficiency or do you reckon it affects quality too?  

Hard to tell properly, I'm comparing a used CMH to a brand new LED, however the cheap light meter I had seemed to think I got about a 10% increase in brightness. For me it was about saving money too, I've had some issues with dodgy CMH reflectors and popping lamps one after another gets expensive.

• Like 2

if i can afford, I worked 1 year under CMH 315. I will not say that a single CMH 315 is equivalent to a 600w hps. No..

It's a very good lamp but not worth a 600w hps. I was able to harvest more ,than 500Gr with a 600hps. But not with a 315CMH ;) Two 315CMH lamps easily exceed a 600w hps!

But not a single 315 ... It was my transition between the passage of hps (after 20 years) and other lamps. CFL no, I already knew... CMH was nice but the light is aggressive.

Often it is better sativa with CMH (the plants stretch less than in HPS) but I finally opted for the Leds.

But CMH are beautiful flowering machines ;) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SkyRider said:

Hard to tell properly, I'm comparing a used CMH to a brand new LED, however the cheap light meter I had seemed to think I got about a 10% increase in brightness. For me it was about saving money too, I've had some issues with dodgy CMH reflectors and popping lamps one after another gets expensive.

Cheers bud. Yeah I've had one lamp failure this round and a scare where I thought I had a busted ballast but it sorted itself out. Very annoying cozy you can't exactly pop out for a bulb ...

I've been using cheap 'mazon LEDs for veg and they worked a treat. Am sure I'll invest in a nice unit soon as and when I feel the itch. I do like cmh lighting so might keep one cmh bulb in the room alongside led especially for temps in winter...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, desertshaman said:

@ledgrowlights-CraigI've taken a look at your lights and they look sweet man. Would you recommend the PAR 240 as a straight replacement for a 315w CMH ? Is there any advantage to running a CMH Elite with a LED fixture vs 2 LED fixtures alone re spectrum in my space.? I am not so concerned re cost of electricity, and I don't have a continuous grow. Temps are a worry though in summer especially!

In terms of photon output they'll match or beat a CMH. As to spectrum, I know there a lot of people out there who swear by CMH spectrum but I honestly think a good quality full spectrum LED (like the PAR+) will give you as good a quality end result as anything. I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences with mixing CMH and 'full spectrum' LED spectrums though.

• Like 1

Sorry ledgrowlightscraig the@function isn't working for me...

Thanks for the reply and good to know. I might be investing in one soon then! 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I'm just wondering if someone can reaffirm what I'm assuming to be right, please? 

My CMH bulb blew and I have been using the 315 ballast ,but with a 250w bulb. It's working fine but I might just use a 150w bulb instead. The energy bill is frightening! I'm guessing the wattage used isn't more than the bulbs wattage, just because the ballast is larger or over specified?  

I have an LED but want the HPS too, for extra heat .

3 hours ago, Michael Luchóg said:

I'm guessing the wattage used isn't more than the bulbs wattage

The other way around. The ballast is what draws the wattage.

1 minute ago, GSZZ said:

The other way around. The ballast is what draws the wattage.

Thankyou. I needed to know that. I was wrong, burning or wasting 65watts for a while, tut. I'll pick up a 150w ballast and bulb sometime before next winter . Putting a 150w bulb in a 250w ballast or 315 isn't economical at all.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, beebs said:

Do CMH reduce stretch compared to HPS?

I think so. I've grown the same cuts under both light and the buds are ''probably'' a tad tighter under CMH but definitely mature a few days faster. 

• Like 1

I'd imagine it would depend on which bulb, I know Philips do 2 different colours. Can't recall what they are though. In theory the veg one would reduce stretch. 

I've never flowered with mine but have done with the metal halides in a E40 fitting that are about the same colour temp. I'm not sure it was very noticeable though. 

Just now, KC said:

I'd imagine it would depend on which bulb, I know Philips do 2 different colours. Can't recall what they are though. In theory the veg one would reduce stretch. 

I've never flowered with mine but have done with the metal halides in a E40 fitting that are about the same colour temp. I'm not sure it was very noticeable though. 

Why do you prefer blasting them up in veg with the cmh rather than the LED ? Does it give you better leaf temps and structure ? What's your reasoning behind that matey? 

16 minutes ago, Danny killerZ said:

What's your reasoning behind that matey? 

My led is in the loft flowering and the cmh is in the veg tent. I'd have replaced it with an led but when I purchased it I bought a spare bulb which was £100 so I'm reluctant to ditch it just yet. 

• Like 2