315w CMH. They work fine and dandy.

lazi

I have been reading, searching, more reading and am having a hard time finding out which is the best and quietest ballast for 315w? I don't mind a bit of Buzzing at lights on, but can't have continual buzzing when in use, especially if i end up with a few.

Loads of companies make them, many i've never heard of, or had no experience with. Maxibright seems the most common but there is also the OG Phillips ballast (look very DIY), Lumatek i don't see much about, apart from the post above. Gavita (i've seen cheap'ish) do a full CMH fixture, but I guess it's Chinese made now? 

I was going to go LED but it still feels abit "bandit country" in some regards and the companies that are doing good work still seem undecided on the best spectrum. So i think I'll wait for it to mature a bit.

@GSZZ Sorry to summon the CMH genie, (and you must be sick of this), but you know more than most.

Edited by finku
  • Like 2

@finku Sorry to let you down but I've only ever really used the maxi offerings - and they all buzz in order of loudness: the compact, the old black metal ones, and then the digi ones (the purple ones).

If you don't mind a 630w fixture it might be worth looking at the revolution micro offering? 

• Like 2

I can't hear my maxibright cmh, it makes a little noise when it starts up but that soon goes. Warmer than i thought though, I mean i can leave my hand on it but it's warmer than the old magnetic it replaced 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

@finku Sorry to let you down but I've only ever really used the maxi offerings - and they all buzz in order of loudness: the compact, the old black metal ones, and then the digi ones (the purple ones).

If you don't mind a 630w fixture it might be worth looking at the revolution micro offering? 

Thanks! Is that order, Compact = loudest and Purple = quietest or?

Had a passing glance at the Deva but thought they were using proprietary bulbs, but on second look, maybe not. It's to replace a 600w MH/HPS so 630w is fine. I only thought multiple 315's for the flexibility.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been reading this whole thread, currently on page 72 out of 252, very informative. 

I’ve done 3 grows, 2 with HPS and 1 with CMH, 8 plants each time. I use Large Diamond reflectors. 

My first two was under HPS, 2 lamps hit 52oz and 40oz (4 plants burned, tent temperature hit 35 degrees) 

Switched to CMH for this reason as heat was becoming a problem and managed to hit 54oz with 4 lamps. 

I’m always looking to improve, this is how I stumbled upon this thread. Since reading I’m going to switch to Philips 942 for Veg and Agro at the start of the 3 week of bloom. 

I keep reading about LST is supposed to increase yield and more consistent buds. Could anyone vouch for this?

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Just now, cymrudotcom said:

what 315w do people use is there much of a difference between maxibright and phillips ?

i use maxibright ballasts and phillips bulbs

Just now, ratdog said:

i use maxibright ballasts and phillips bulbs

can you tell me more please do you mix bulbs is there a full spectrum or swap from veg to flower ?

Just now, cymrudotcom said:

can you tell me more please do you mix bulbs is there a full spectrum or swap from veg to flower ?

no mate but i do have 600w full spectrum led in there with them, i only have the cmh in there to increase leaf surface temps tbh, when it warms a bit i will remove one. i use the same bulbs right through with no issues, i like to have some cmh in there because it seems to speed up flowering by a week ime. not sure which bulbs they are not tbh, it's several years since i bought them.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, cymrudotcom said:

I use one of each in flower and its a different world for trich production and resin versus anything not called LED (my next investment). Phillips 930 & 942

• Like 1

Mine has started to give serious whine at times, and always at start up for few mins most times it goes away but the odd day now it will keep the start up whine. I'm going to have to bin it as I live neighbors on all sides of me and canny be bringing any attention, I think they are great bit of kit and had no problems at the start, but if they are only going to last 2 or 3 grows (In middle of 3rd grow) or was, then no point.

its the bulb that's rated for 1000's hours, you would think the ballast would 5x or 10x that. plus £140 notes you think they would last

rant over :D

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Hi all..

Just wondering what would be your recommendations for two cmh reflectors in a 1 m tent..

I currently have a sunsystems lec and maxibright focus reflector.

The maxibright will be too hot to run in summer and I don't think I'll fit two lecs in there ..  is there another smaller vertical reflector I could use?

Alternatively I was thinking of running a led fixture alongside the lec reflector..

Cheers all 

DS

• Like 1

if you decide torun a LED, your temps will be easier to control. id go with a 240 PAR from @ledgrowlights-Craig.

im using one of these to fill a space at the end of a row of gavita 600s and its holding its own.

im actually surprised at just how effective it is, for the wattage. escuse the crap pic, but this lot are under it. large_202.JPG

• Like 6

Just now, badbillybob said:

if you decide torun a LED, your temps will be easier to control. id go with a 240 PAR from @ledgrowlights-Craig.

I've just done exactly that, switched from a 315W CMH to a 240 PAR from Craig/Adam. Can't say I've noticed a massive difference in temperatures yet, but the light output certainly isn't disappointing. Still running a single 315W CMH in the room though, think I'll be switching that out soon for another 240 PAR.

• Like 4