Looking For TV Series Suggestions

Boojum

No-one mentioned House of Cards yet? Thought the first season was excellent.

Not seen the US version yet, but if you haven't seen the original BBC one you really should, it was superb (as were the other parts of the trilogy - To Play The King and The Final Cut). Francis Urquhart was a brilliantly slimy, amoral character (who was a great representation of politicians and political ambition), superbly played by Ian Richardson.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 4

Not seen the US version yet, but if you haven't seen the original BBC one you really should, it was superb (as were the other parts of the trilogy - To Play The King and The Final Cut). Francis Urquhart was a brilliantly slimy, amoral character (who was a great representation of politicians and political ambition), superbly played by Ian Richardson.

QFT! - "You may well say that, Mr. Boojum. I, of course, couldn't possibly comment." :)

• Like 1

Is House Of Card good ? (British version) Its on Netflix just now.

I'm into Politics and have heard its good but does look dated. I've also heard "The Thick Of It" is also a good.

• Like 2

British TV used to make great drama, but nowadays it's mostly shite and (I've said it before) the US does TV drama much better (they do a lot of utter shit, as do we, but their best it generally head and shoulders above our best - my list in my OP is an example, all the recent TV drama I've thought was exceptional has come from across the pond).

But if you haven't seen some of the greats of British TV drama you should check them out. Off the top of my head some must-sees to add to the House of Cards trilogy include :

Edge of Darkness

GBH

Our Friends in the North

Tinker, Tailor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People

Brideshead Revisited

The Monocled Mutineer

The Singing Detective

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit

State of Play

Bodies

Red Riding

• Like 4

Is House Of Card good ? (British version) Its on Netflix just now.

I'm into Politics and have heard its good but does look dated. I've also heard "The Thick Of It" is also a good.

Yes, House of Cards was superb.

The Thick of It is brilliant, savage political satire (Yes Minister with fangs and claws lol - I loved Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister too). Malcolm Tucker is a fucking legend lol A truly brilliant (and joyously sweary) monster :) I absolutely recommend it.

• Like 3

I've seen the American one, the British one is next after Orange is the New Black. That's funny in parts, I'm only 3 episodes in though so we'll see how far we get with that.

• Like 1

Yes, House of Cards was superb.

The Thick of It is brilliant, savage political satire (Yes Minister with fangs and claws lol - I loved Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister too). Malcolm Tucker is a fucking legend lol A truly brilliant (and joyously sweary) monster :) I absolutely recommend it.

Thanks, my Dad has been saying the same for a while - i will start watching "House of Cards" tomorrow then onto "The Thick Of It".

"The Sopranos" is being mentioned throughout this thread and I agree it is one of the best (if not the best) series/work of t.v produced however I cant highlight enough, DO NOT WATCH THE LAST EPISODE - it has the worst ending to a series EVER!!!! Do not spoil this magical piece of t.v. I have watched the full series twice now and i still do not understand why they finished on a note like that - Awful.

On another note, a wonderful comedy series called "Still Game" is brilliant. It is one of our national treasures (i,m from Scotland). An example;

Bobby The Barman; (as Jack and Victor walk into the "Clansman Pub") "Alright Jack, You look as if you are putting the weight on!"

Jack; "Aye that's right Bobby - Every time I shag your Mrs she makes me a sandwich"

Haha- still laugh every time I think about that- best banter ever! watch,watch,watch!!!!!!!

Edited by jimcfcmoc
  • Like 4

Oz is pretty good.

As is the first few series of Spooks.

Orange Is The New Black is a good N'flix series.

Utopia is OK

Luther is awesome.

Weeds up to series 3 is good.

Bored to Death and Eastbound And Down are good comedies.

It's Alway Sunny In Philadelphia is all kinds of funny.

• Like 2

Thanks, my Dad has been saying the same for a while - i will start watching "House of Cards" tomorrow then onto "The Thick Of It".

Thing about House of Cards is that you've kinda got to switch your perception to the times - Britain in 1990, a decade of tory misrule and Thatcherism, and a kinda more naive time when people didn't realise that politicians are all lying bastards. It is of its time (something that all political drama is, and indeed has to be), but that makes it no less good as a drama.

• Like 1

Thing about House of Cards is that you've kinda got to switch your perception to the times - Britain in 1990, a decade of tory misrule and Thatcherism, and a kinda more naive time when people didn't realise that politicians are all lying bastards. It is of its time (something that all political drama is, and indeed has to be), but that makes it no less good as a drama.

Thanks Boojum. I'm defo going to start watching tomorrow. The reason you have mentioned is sort of why i haven't watched yet. Although not a Tory, the main character reminds me of Peter Mandelson for some reason - slippery character.