Jim's Competition Diary

Organic Jim

Hi CK :king: hope you're good.

Yeah, it's a tricky one isn't it? It looks like an overwatered or dried out plant in compost would, I think. I was certain you couldn't overwater in compost, and the pots weren't dry. The droopy leaves aren't wilted though, still firm and alive, just not very happy. :doh: What have I done to the girls!

But on a lighter note, here's those Taigas in some "sunshine" I think it's called...

:eat:

gallery_16392_4204_114284.jpg

gallery_16392_4204_66715.jpg

gallery_16392_4204_95833.jpg

Looking nice and bushy with very straight, rigid limbs.

gallery_16392_4204_240658.jpg

gallery_16392_4204_236330.jpg

gallery_16392_4204_302874.jpg

gallery_16392_4204_207972.jpg

• Like 1

And this is a shot of the HPS dual spectrum glow with everyone in place.

post-16392-0-98409500-1334388189_thumb.jpg

note to self DAY 32

b.t.w. it's moving house day next week, so don't expect much sense or updates out of me after the weekend! :skin_up:

Thanks for watching and for any advice you all have.

Jim :yahoo:

Hi Jim - the Taiga is looking superb. That looks set to give you a good harvest.

I am hoping that the Think Different's perk up a little bit after a day of drinking just water. Top watering them with a weaker feed than the Taiga looks like the best bet for them. Hopefully that will allow them to regain their healthy vigour.

And good luck with the move mate.

Hey Oh Jay, sorry to hijack ya awesome diary dude but I thought I'd let ya know what's happened with ck's droopy drawers lol

In a last attempt to solve this little issue, I moved the light right up by a good 20cm "just to see", I didn't think this would work however upon checking them this morning, I opened the door and they just looked at me as if there had never been a problem.. All upright and smug, little feckers haha, so I'll give them another day to make sure then gradually lower the light back down :yep:

I'm not 100% sure this was the problem and wether they would have perked up today anyway but they look better today than they have since moving into the Treehouse so CK's happy :)

You seem a little more relaxed about it than I Jim so I'm confident that with your wealth of experience you will turn those ladies around in no time.. I'll be routing for them pal

ATB

:yinyang: :yinyang:

P.S. Good luck with the move :yep:

Edited by CannabisKing
  • Like 1

interesting tip from you there C K. Jim switched from metal halide to HPS a few days ago so could that change have had anything to do with it? re temperatures, transpiration?, light proximity?. Jim, your use of metal halide for the first few weeks on the auto's got me thinking quite a bit about the early phase of auto growth. Especially given the way the Taiga has shot up. Good luck with the next few days ....and the house move too...

• Like 2

And this is a shot of the HPS dual spectrum glow with everyone in place.

post-16392-0-98409500-1334388189_thumb.jpg

note to self DAY 32

b.t.w. it's moving house day next week, so don't expect much sense or updates out of me after the weekend! :skin_up:

Thanks for watching and for any advice you all have.

Jim :yahoo:

Hey OJ, Looking good mate. I hope the TD perk up in the next couple of days. In the little experaince ive had, I have seen a trend of plants having to adjust to any new light source.

So fingures crossed :)

P.S. How do you get the HPS picture to not have lines all over it, I know people say its light balance but I use an iPhone so dont have it?

ATB Sparkles

Edited by MrSparkles
  • Like 1

...I thought I'd let ya know what's happened with ck's droopy drawers lol

In a last attempt to solve this little issue, I moved the light right up by a good 20cm "just to see", I didn't think this would work however upon checking them this morning, I opened the door and they just looked at me as if there had never been a problem.. All upright and smug, little feckers haha, so I'll give them another day to make sure then gradually lower the light back down :yep:

You seem a little more relaxed about it than I Jim so I'm confident that with your (cough) experience you will turn those ladies around in no time.. I'll be routing for them pal

ATB

:yinyang: :yinyang:

Hey mate, I have raised the lamp up a good few inches. This seems like sound advice as the plants will be in a much more 'gentle' situation. Last thing I want is to stress these chicks.

• Like 1

Tony, thanks for calling in. I wonder if the new autos are better off on one light all the way through?

The other newer automatics I have done indoors were done solely under the MH lamp. It would be interesting to learn if changing lights is bad for the latest autos. :unsure:

Mr. Sparkles, how nice to see you again dear sir.

Interesting that you noticed a change in plant behaviour after lamp change. Was that with automatics?

Cheers for the input guys.

Have a great Saturday night

Hi Jim, I'm loving this grow

The auto community are still learning about auto's in many ways. You had got me thinking how significantly auto's benefit from the metal halide lamps at the start, they seemed to thrive under it. But I am not sure if bud and resin production would be good on MH all the way through. So I am sure they would need HPS at some point in the grow. Just like photoperiod varieties I am assuming auto's would need more of the red wavelengths than MH would provide.

But I am enjoying seeing this grow develop and am hoping the Think Different will improve in the next day or two. And then, with any luck we will start seeing the buds pack on weight. What do you think of it so far?

No I havent done any auto's yet :book: Mainly cuz i feel Ruderails weaken the genetics but what do i know lol:bong:

Have a great weekend.

Sparkles.

Mr Sparkles, you asked about the non-stripey HPS photos. I just hold the camera at different angles and locations until there are no stripes on the :hi: viewscreen (that sounds so 1980s sci-fi!)

Glad to report though, after 8 hrs out of the tent, in the bedroom and the lamp now raised to the top of the tent, the TD's have perked up. Sorry there's no photos but, you know... boxes everywhere, etc.

Tony, I'm really impressed with the Taiga, but the Think Different have proved to be less than Idiot Proof, the Idiot being me of course. :wink:

I think that maybe they need a less intense light than the others, is the famous TD. LED grow low intensity light?

Should see how she goes in the next few days.

Looking good everyone :B):

OJ

Edited by Organic Jim
  • Like 1

Hi Jim, glad to hear the move has gone well. And even better news is that the Think Different have perked up. Regarding your question about auto's and MHvHPS light. My personal feeling is that they need the red wavelengths to really pile on the buds and resin in flowering. The best Auto grows I have seen have been done under LED which use 75% red diodes and only 10% blue. Obviously I have seen great results under HPS too (http://www.dutch-passion.nl/en/news-and-development/dutch-passion-tundra-insert-name-here/)I am not saying metal Halide are bad for flowering, but my feeling is that MH allow the plant to get a great growth spurt going in the first 20ish days - just as your Taiga have done so well. But would MH lights all the way through give hard resinous buds? There is only one way to find out which is to try it.

First of all get this grow finished and who knows what plots we could be coming up with in the future heh heh. Seriously - we could try a full MH auto grow some time if you are up for it. But like I said - my current feeling on this is that MH may be a good way to start auto's and HPS a good way to finish them.

It is also very interesting to see the Taiga go head to head with Think Different. That is a first for me, and Taiga seems the more vigorous of the two. When Seymour Buds ran the first public grow diary (http://www.dutch-passion.nl/en/news-and-development/first-public-think-different-autofem/) he only had Think Different in the tent so he didn't have the problem of having to balance the slightly different needs of 2 strains as you are having to.

I can't wait to see the next photo's when you have got time to post them. In the meantime just keep looking after those auto's and this should be a very nice grow, and I hope a nice glimpse for you into what our auto's can offer. The next 5 or 6 weeks should be interesting to see, good luck with it Jim. I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am !

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, long time no reporting.

DAY 56 from sprouting

I've safely moved house and I'm pleased to say that the plants are doing OK.

Not fantastic, but OK.

The Think Different have been struggling with one or several aspects of the grow room. The lamp is still giving them grief although it's as far away as it can go. I've tried changing various things but it seems they like a lower pH than most plants I've grown. They seem happiest at around 5.5, with the Taiga preferring around 5.8.

The new setup involves a ready made air-hole to the outside, so it's fresh air into the tent and stale air right outside.

I'll be moving the lot into loft as soon as I can. The tent is absolutely huge in that box room.

I've done a week of Hesi PK 13/14 booster for what it's worth, the plants are on 1.5EC feed, but look like they want more.

This has to have been the trickiest Coco grow I've done to date, they seem to be quite finicky plants.

Smell wise, the Taiga absolutely STINK! The smell lingers for a good 2 hours, even without actively touching the plants they exude the most amazing fresh green Zingy skunky whiff, just makes you go mmmmmmmmmmmm

Here's the pictures then.

Think Different side by side.

Very Different from each other. No real smell as yet.

gallery_16392_4204_34100.jpg

The short one

gallery_16392_4204_179064.jpg

The other one

gallery_16392_4204_161196.jpg

Very long tall sativa looking buds forming.

gallery_16392_4204_323063.jpg

• Like 1

I feel that had I just stuck to one variety at a time, the Think Different wouldn't be running late (2 weeks left?) They also seem to have 'overfeeeding signals' at the leaf tips. :unsure:

gallery_16392_4204_97635.jpg

The light-bleaching is on the highest tips, they are going to be bent over once the Taiga are chopped

gallery_16392_4204_260149.jpg

gallery_16392_4204_154169.jpg

Edited by Organic Jim