6step guide to making your rvk silent

Guest leepy

• 4 months later...

Just a quick question, what sort of rockwool insulation or hydro slabs?

Also me and large amounts of it don't get on

@@susat

rockwool

and for protection , paper suit ( try your local D.I.Y shop /wickes/B&Q,) gloves & goggles .

if you can , tape the gloves into the sleeves when they're on to stop any bits going up or the sleeves rolling up inadvertently.

Edited by Abe Froman

Cheers Abe , so should I use insulation rockwool or grow slabs it shouldn't make a difference but insulation type is gonna be cheaper.

Done myself in with rockwool 7/8. years ago my lungs never got over it 100% also doing roofs when younger , given no protection, no health and safety in them days.Use it now but wetted with masks. ;-)

• 2 years later...
On 16/05/2011 at 5:37 PM, sky said:

go for rockwool/isowool etc instead of foam , its only £3 a roll now :smoke: and better for soundproofing. some places do sheeps wool which i think is supposed to be even better

acoustic ducting definately makes the biggest difference to extract noise :)

Guys where do you buy acoustic rockwool for £3? Cheapest one I found is £15 Also B&Q are selling  Home Eco Loft Insulation, (L)3m (W)370mm (T)200mm (Sheep's wool loft insulation) for £20 a bag - would this work better that rockwool? Will be making 16"x20"x25" MDF box for RVK 150 A1 and looking for something to fill it with. Also haven't decided on exhaust ducting yet - go for acoustic or bigger size one?

Edited by Anchorman

5 hours ago, Anchorman said:

Guys where do you buy acoustic rockwool for £3? Cheapest one I found is £15 Also B&Q are selling  Home Eco Loft Insulation, (L)3m (W)370mm (T)200mm (Sheep's wool loft insulation) for £20 a bag - would this work better that rockwool? Will be making 16"x20"x25" MDF box for RVK 150 A1 and looking for something to fill it with. Also haven't decided on exhaust ducting yet - go for acoustic or bigger size one?

You are unlikely to get a reply from a 6 year old post.

i doubt they are using acousic grade for that price.

Quick question - is it OK to use MDP board instead of MDF for my fan box? Then I'd lay 5mm polystyrene inside and stuff it with sheep's wool. Thank you! 

I found this a waste of time, the airflow is what you need to control, not the sound of the motor, unless your bearings are fucked imho

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ratdog said:

I found this a waste of time, the airflow is what you need to control, not the sound of the motor, unless your bearings are fucked imho

I'll have to disagree when sooo many people reported fantastic results using cardboard box and expanding foam, then apparently MDF + rockwool is even better. I've got some sheep's wool and MDP boards, and can't find any info on MDP suitability when soundproofing the fan.

14 minutes ago, Anchorman said:

I'll have to disagree when sooo many people reported fantastic results using cardboard box and expanding foam, then apparently MDF + rockwool is even better. I've got some sheep's wool and MDP boards, and can't find any info on MDP suitability when soundproofing the fan.

No worries, I used plywood box and expanding foam, the whoosh was exactly the same, and that`s where the noise came from for me, maybe it depends on the quality of fan?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Anchorman said:

I agree with @ratdog whilst the fans are a little noisy, it's the sound of the airflow that's the loudest thing. 

I managed to silence the physical noise of my fan (5") just by wrapping a towel around it, nothing fancy. 

But the real sound decreases came from the acoustic ducting and the fan speed controller. 

The smaller fans aren't incredibly loud, it's the fucking whoosing and the turbulence from the air that's the problem. 

My extraction is probably about as quiet as it will get now. But the sound of the air audibly whooosing INTO the carbon filter is still relatively loud. Acoustic ducting will make a HUUUGE amount of difference. And hang the fan from bungee cords inside the tent. Fixing it to solid structures will create a vibration that will go right through walls. 

It's the oscillating desk fans that are going to be making the most noise! Big time! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, welshting said:

It's the oscillating desk fans that are going to be making the most noise! Big time! 

I found this to be a major contributor too, fucking pain when growing I the same room you sleep in

• Like 1

So my setup is as follows: CF filter inside the tent will follow by ~5 meters of aluminium combi low noise ducting which then goes to the attic. Inside the attic, on bungee straps, will hang my insulated box with RVK 150 A1 inside, then maybe 1 meter of exhaust ducting coming from the box to the roof's vent hole. I'll also get a variac for speed control, will ask your opinion later as I'm on the phone niw and don't have a link, found one for £47 not sure how good. I understand that whooshing will be coming from the exhaust ducting and for that one meter I have two options: acoustic ducting or 7" ducting. Latter then involves buying ducting reducer, both options mean that I'll have to buy more ducting :fart:  This spending just never ends :pitchfork:

@Anchorman sweet, if that's your plan and you're getting all that kit, then you can rest assured you've done literally EVERYTHING you can to make it as quiet as possible. 

They'll still be a little noise mind, that's simply not controllable. But doing all of the above will put a huge dent in the sound! 

As I mentioned above though. All your efforts will be thawted by the desk fans though. There's nothing you can do about the 50hz droning sound of an oscillating desk fan! It'll be 10x louder that your RVK extraction. 

Just a heads up, because like you I spent hours of time researching how to make my extraction quieter only for it all to be pretty much in vain as soon as the desk fans came into the tent. 

• Like 1