6step guide to making your rvk silent

Guest leepy

My ladies are 4 days old now and oscillating fan is already causing a bit of pain, but if you say that my RVK with this setup shouldn't be as loud, I'll be a happy man :bong: I'm getting my box made literally now :moptop:

• 2 months later...

Tried this myself but I didn't think it made a huge difference. The box is ontop of the tent tho so a bit of resonating, I counteracted this by putting soft buffers by the horizontal poles and also underneath the feet of the tent, I'm looking for a speed controller which should bring the noise down nicely

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm this works for fan buzz due to fan controller on a rvk150a? 

Just brought a smscom twin controller + the rvk and the buzzing has really annoyed me. Had I of known I'd of brought a rhino or a ruck fan

no @Dazoot, it wont make a great difference as you'll still hear the buzzing.

tbh mate, there's not a lot of fan makes I've came across that don't suffer fan hum with that type of controller

but its also weird as some different sizes of the same fan don't suffer from fan hum.

your only option is to try to return the controller if its new & see if you can get a refund or you can afford to get

a better controller that's got a transformer in it, or if that's a no go, you could try selling it elsewhere.

• Like 1

Right, I've prepped a box and got the foam, but might not bother now.

It's all hooked up and is a pain mid flower to swap it out for the 5" tt for a night then swap back especially if no great result.

I've found a variac controller that's £35, not thermostatic like the smscom tho.

Brought the smscom on a auction site (due to advice *smh*) so will have to resell 

What an annoyance, by going bigger on my exhaust it was supposed to be quieter when running at lower rpm. Not really worked out

Edited by Dazoot

Just a follow up to confirm,

I decided to box it up as I had brought the foam etc and it made very marginal difference. 

To cut a long story short, I've brought a xpelair wac1 today and have removed the smscom. If you've got fan buzz and it's an rvk I can 100% confirm - don't waste your time, upgrade the controller or change the fan

• Like 2

I hope you remembered to wrap the fan & ducting up with cling film, it can make all the difference from being able to get back into your fan or not   lol

& yes, the wac1 controller is a good cheap option for 4" & 5" fans, here's a wiring diagram for it incase you don't have it.

gallery_36349_2174_22587.jpg   gallery_36349_2174_85388.jpg

• Like 2

Yeh I wrapped it in bags 

Just having a toke and peeling all the foam off now.

Cheers for the diagram, looks easy enough. Quick question tho being as the wac1 is 75w max load and my rvk is 59.4w can I safely couple up a 7w xpelair 100mm extractor at the same time on the same control??

Would allow me to have control of intake and exhaust off the one controller without buying another wac1

• 3 months later...

yes, as all the moving parts are inside the casing, if your using expanding foam, wrap the fan with cling film first, makes it a lot easier to get into the fan.

• 2 years later...
On 6/1/2009 at 7:40 PM, Guest leepy said:

Right people i came up with this idea about 5yr ago and it works a treat .But iv seen a few posts recently asking dose it work , is it safe bla bla bla

So iv just knocked one up for my new room so thought id show ya's how to do it it took 10 mins max

1st step post-13162-1243880967_thumb.jpg get a box the fan will fit in

2nd step post-13162-1243880983_thumb.jpg wrap the fan in a bin bag or cling film this is so the foam dosent stick to ya fan

3rd step post-13162-1243880989_thumb.jpg once its wrapped up place it in the box

4th steppost-13162-1243881003_thumb.jpg iv put the ducting on the fan to save time later make sure you tape around the ducting real good

5th step post-13162-1243881012_thumb.jpg fill with foam i normaly tape the whole thing up 1st but i did it this way to show ya it

6th step post-13162-1243881020_thumb.jpg rush like a fucker to get it tapped up b4 the foam gets every were

and there you have it one boxed fan :rofl:

Large motorcycle cargo nets or rubber bungee chords.

if the isolation box is made of wood, then screw in hooks with jack chain.