Refilling carbon filters

distracted

• 4 weeks later...

Such a good post this. My headache is where do you throw a CF away but this has completely solved that problem.

Will give it a a go next year when the CF's need changing.

If carbon is left in its bag and not put in the filter does it still have a shelf life or is it only when air passes through does it start to degenerate?

:)

Edited by Ital B

Every thing is refillable to say its not is ( like in so many examples)a spurious comment designed to keep us believing that problems can only be solved by throwing money at em with no roomfor ingenuity or inspiration Babylon ( oops 6 in,t morning and already shit faced

ital, you could always dismantle the filter, all you need to do is drill the rivets out, take of lid off,

empty carbon into a few black bags doubled up then squash the outer steel mesh til its as flat

as possible & bag up the metal bits, a much more easier way to get rid of & a lot safer.

• Like 2

ital, you could always dismantle the filter, all you need to do is drill the rivets out, take of lid off,

empty carbon into a few black bags doubled up then squash the outer steel mesh til its as flat

as possible & bag up the metal bits, a much more easier way to get rid of & a lot safer.

Thanks, thats definitely the way to do it.

How are you getting along with yours, are you happy replacing the carbon, and do you think the carbon you're replacing it with is as good as the original Rhino carbon with the same 'life expectancy'?

Edited by Ital B

• 6 months later...

I've just come across this thread after searching for what to do with old carbon filters. I hate throwing anything away and wondered if anyone had any brilliant ideas on how to repurpose them and now I find they can be reused. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@@distracted or anybody else, I don't think greens sell this activated carbon anymore. Just had a look and can't find it on their site. Is there anywhere else that sells this in small amounts? I found somewhere on line but looks kinda industrial and I only need enough for one filter.

Edited by Chester Copperpot

They don't anymore mate, you are correct, but I can't endorse any supply points as a mod, I would say that apparantly a good supplier is mentioned several times in this thread, I never used them myself. Personally I'd search for activated carbon granules and take it from there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine swears by using a premium quality cat litter to refill his and tbh i cant ever smell growings on at his house

I wouldn't risk it myself, the real stuff is available and not too expensive so why use cat litter and risk your liberty?

• Like 1

A friend of mine swears by using a premium quality cat litter to refill his and tbh i cant ever smell growings on at his house

your friends a fool & your sense of smell is fucked lol cat litter lol