Refilling carbon filters

distracted

anyone know the best way to dispose of used carbon pellets ? is burning on a wood burner an option ? anyone tried ? ta in adv

it should burn I'd have thought as it's charcoal, maybe not unaided but fed into a hot fire with open vents then why not?

thanks, i'll give it a go on the burner today anyway and post back later ... if able ! lol

Edited by distracted

Guest The-Green-Machine

Top stuff!

My Carbon filter is getting on for a year old in Jan/Feb but it's still working a treat atm.

Good to know I can refill it for half the price of buying a new one plus it saves on having to dump the bloomin thing when it's dead.

Thanks OP!

hi just to report back that carbon pellets can be got rid of on a fire , must be burning well before adding about a cup full or so at a time so as not to smother fire.It just slowly starts to glow then gradually turns to ash. will take a while to lose an 8'' cf's worth though ! hope this isnt too boring just tying up a loose end

:spliff:

I just put a bit in my compost bin (which is big) and make sure it is well mixed with yard and kitchen debris. Continue doing until you've gotten rid of it all. Another option is to bury it.

Randalizer, it is possible to regenerate activated carbon by heating it up, I'm not sure though, if this can be done in a kitchen oven. I don't have carbon filter myself, but if I had, I would definitely try to regenerate it before throwing away.

Randalizer, it is possible to regenerate activated carbon by heating it up, I'm not sure though, if this can be done in a kitchen oven. I don't have carbon filter myself, but if I had, I would definitely try to regenerate it before throwing away.

I believe the temperatures needed are beyond most home ovens capability. Do correct me if I am wrong though. I think you need special atmospheric gases as well when cooking the carbon.

Edited by Randalizer

I believe the temperatures needed are beyond most home ovens capability. Do correct me if I am wrong though. I think you need special atmospheric gases as well when cooking the carbon.

Well, as I said, I'm not sure if 250C will work, but 500C most likely will. Carbon will not react with air unless it is red hot. Someone need to do an experiment :guitar:

Well, as I said, I'm not sure if 250C will work, but 500C most likely will. Carbon will not react with air unless it is red hot. Someone need to do an experiment :)

If I can be arsed, I'll do one. May take a few years. :yes: :wink: I do want a cooking oven for arts and crafts so who knows. I may go into the filter recharging business. Now there is a niche market! :rofl: Wonder if I can get Lake to invest in me? :g:

btw

Has anyone else noticed how much heavier their cf weighs after it has been used? After three years of filtering, my Mountain Air seemed really heavy compared to a new filter.

Edited by Randalizer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you refill a Rhino Pro, a Mountain Air filter or another high end CF with activated carbon will it really work like new? I always though there was somethin special they did to the filters to make them work better than cheaper CFs other than just fill them with plain activated carbon.

If you refill a Rhino Pro, a Mountain Air filter or another high end CF with activated carbon will it really work like new? I always though there was somethin special they did to the filters to make them work better than cheaper CFs other than just fill them with plain activated carbon.

Randalisers Mountain Air filter contained a more crushed pellet than my budget or it's refill material, which is why it's in a baggy, this will give a tighter porosity and more air resistance but also more surface area to clean the air.... a filter filled with fresh activated carbon will work be it brand or budget although a pellet filled brand filter will not I suspect last as long as the original, but if you refill it after a few grows and save money in the process does it matter?

My budget CF didn't even last one grow. I could smell it towards the end of the vegetative period as I was entering flower, hence my concern that it won't work well enough to start with from the beginning.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is that the budget filter you used in the picture?

The reason I ask is you have rivets,mine has hex bolts I dont know if its a new design or what or its just the bigger ones but does any one know if the carbon is actually different between the budget and cf range?

I know there was a mention of different carbon pellets but in which filters?

See now I did have the 6" budget but it was cheaper to buy another 6" then get it re filled but now im thinking I could of easily driled it open re filled my self and bolted or riveted back together.

Any way I chose the cf1000 due to re fill not knowing much about re filling but now im thinking,crap I could of saved 100 quid and brought the budget and drilled it my self and re fil when time comes.or have I really got a better filter for the extra money with better carbon?.

I guess my question is basicly,is there difference between the carbon used in them as they give shorter use times on the budget and if it is different,is there a better carbon I should get for it when its re fill time?

I read 1 fiters description,not sure if it was rhino or another but they were pricey for small ones and the filter lasted way longer,thats the kind of thing im trying to get too here,budget filter filled with the carbon the longer lasting ones have or is it all rubbish and there just the same,just different sizes and looks (the carbon).

Any chance of a quick guide like 4" filter needs bla bla kg carbon and 5" needs ba bla and so on as I dont understand some of the maths invoved,like the 15000 cm/ccs for example.

Great post and I also recon the budget filter is advertised un re fillable to make you buy another or the expensiver one but now a days it seems cheaper to just buy a new one on the smaller filters,kind of thinking I should of stook with my 6" now and drilled it open,I dont know cheaper places for carbon but I do know that I could of replaced my 6" with a new one rather then go my local shop for a re fill,not the case with my cf1000 though,hence the questions.

If its £30 to re fil a 6" I would say have a look about as Ive seen new for a litte more.

Best carbon to use would be appreciated.

Sorry for long boring post and thanks in advanced.

Edited by distracted

• 3 weeks later...

I've read here somewhere that the only special thing done is a vibration table is used to help the carbon settle in (thus packing more in). It's been mentioned that a washing machine or dryer could probably do the same thing for the home enthusiast.

Edited by Randalizer

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

if you are bothered then order the airpurification pellets rather than the newly listed "hydroponics" pellets .... both are the same thing