Refilling carbon filters

distracted

• 1 month later...

I did what you said ... took me about half an hour, I looked a bit like a homepride flour grader in negative afterwards :unsure: but I spent 69 quid on activated carbon instead of 120 on a new c/f and that's a result.

Thanks distracted :yep:

LSD

So you're not supposed to get covered in black shite then :unsure:

I've been scratching my head over this one and then mrs deez pointed out that the groom caught fire a year or so ago :eek: soot innit.

Thanks again mate.

LSD

• 2 weeks later...

Any Irish friends do this and know where to source 4mm activated carbon pellets ?, or do we just have to buy a new cf? :yinyang:

Ask these guys if they can give you details of one of their customers that resells or see if they will sell direct:

Nova Q, they are in Dublin

• Like 2

Fair play distracted , I will get on to them, Many thanks Al :guitar:

Any good explanations of what I may need it for besides our favorite hobby obviously

Edited by Al Swearengen

Al's Al a Carte Restaurant? etc... it is used industrially to remove odours, volatiles, etc

Off thier own site they list several excuses for you:

SEWAGE, WASTE WATER, BLOOD, DRAINS, ABATTOIRS, BREWERY WASTE, SMOKERIES, MANURE, COMPOST, HOUSEHOLD WASTE, LANDFILL SITES, SEPTIC TANKS

TBH I doubt they care, a market is a market provided they aren't breaking the law

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking about the web, 3.5mm "aquarium" pellets seem to be much more easily available, and a substantially cheaper than 4 or 4.5mm "air purification" ones.

Does anyone know of a reason they wouldn't work just as well?

Possibly even better, since in the can, the 3.5mm pellets would have a greater surface area.

I was told but I can't confirm it without doing some reading that activated carbon for water cleaning is charged positively to attract negatively charged contaminants in the water like Cl- etc

whereas air purification charcoal isn't... if true then the correct activated carbon for the intended use is essential

• Like 1