Refilling carbon filters

distracted

Guest anon133

if you are bothered then order the airpurification pellets rather than the newly listed "hydroponics" pellets .... both are the same thing

Those are the very same pellets I've bought from them before, but not with Paypal.

No problem paying by Paypal then?

Ta

A

• 3 weeks later...

Well I bought 5kg for my 150mm Rhino Pro thinking it would be enough, but it only filled it halfway up, meaning I need another 5kg. This shits getting expensive, but I suppose it's cheaper than buying a new CF.

To save money I'm tempted to just top it up with the old activated carbon.

Edited by Artificial Emotion

Well I bought 5kg for my 150mm Rhino Pro thinking it would be enough, but it only filled it halfway up, meaning I need another 5kg. This shits getting expensive, but I suppose it's cheaper than buying a new CF.

Did you not work out how much carbon you needed first? just to check how much more you need the calcs are in the first post

Guest anon133

I wouldn't advise re-using the old carbon, especially if you're replacing it because it's 'spent'. If you really have no option though it would be better to thoroughly mix the correct amount of old carbon in with the new carbon and then refill the filter housing using the mixture.

It's lifespan will be reduced and there's also no guarantee it will filter out 100% of the odours.

Is it really worth saving £40 or £50 to risk getting busted 'cos the filter wasn't working properly?

A

• Like 2

I wouldn't advise re-using the old carbon, especially if you're replacing it because it's 'spent'. If you really have no option though it would be better to thoroughly mix the correct amount of old carbon in with the new carbon and then refill the filter housing using the mixture.

It's lifespan will be reduced and there's also no guarantee it will filter out 100% of the odours.

Is it really worth saving £40 or £50 to risk getting busted 'cos the filter wasn't working properly?

A

No I decided against using it already. I only really considered doing it briefly before coming to my senses. I was just pissed off that it's costing more than I thought. I do agree with you though, it's not worth it.

Did you not work out how much carbon you needed first? just to check how much more you need the calcs are in the first post

I did but I must've used completely the wrong figures! Silly me, I must stop doing important stuff like this when stoned. Oh well, you live and learn!

It's going to take a lot of carbon if 5kg only fills half way, maybe that is why the rhino's apparently last so long? The carbon looks like the carbon you took out I assume? I used about 8kg in my 8" budget filter

The activated carbon that was in the Rhino is finer but still in bits really, like it's been crushed slightly, whereas the activated carbon I bought is in granules the shape of little cylinders (like mini pegs).

Here's a photo of the original activated carbon that was in the Rhino CF distracted.

med_gallery_51167_3924_93763.jpg

Hi AE

what size is your rhino CF again ?

just wondering as i still have my old 6" x 600mm & if it takes 10kg or less then im onto a saver, a new one costs £140 :ouch:

6" 150mm sized one that fits all 6" fans. The 5kg fills it to above halfway, so 10kg will fill it to the top and probably give you a little to spare. I would go for it. Good thing you've saved it and not thrown it away. I'm certainly glad I kept mine!

I've seen another shop that sells activated carbon for a few quid less, however activated carbon trading delivered so quick and were so reliable that I'm strongly inclined to just stick with them because they're tried, tested and trusted.

theres 2 versions of the 6" rhino, 300mm & 600mm length.

just checking in case i needed to buy 4 x 5kg :doh:

:rofl:

heres my 6"x600mm hanging in the tent & rhinos size guide.

gallery_36349_2174_67412.jpg

gallery_36349_2174_123748.jpg

I just measured it and it's definitely 600mm tall. Hope that helps mate ;)

I think you've got the same one as me by the looks of it.

theres 2 versions of the 6" rhino, 300mm & 600mm length.

just checking in case i needed to buy 4 x 5kg :doh:

:rofl:

heres my 6"x600mm hanging in the tent & rhinos size guide.

I make it 18.8 litres of carbon pellets or roughly 8.5 kg of the same that you need JH

^ that sounds about right. With the amounts they sell at activated carbon trading (1kg, 2kg and 5kg) you may as well buy 10kg because it would work out cheapest per kilo.