Refilling carbon filters

distracted

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I could see myself doing this.

Buying a new one is too much $$$ when a simple hack like this refilling is less $.

I can get lots of carbon at Petsmart in the fish section.

I just bought Marineland Black Diamond Carbon earlier this week for another hack I came up with.

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/supplies/filters-and-filter-media/filter-media/marineland-black-diamond-carbon-5036506.html

Edited by corky1968

• 7 months later...

I empty them inside a bin bag to keep dust down.
I stand them in another while filling.
Before filling I hold the inner and outer tubes at 50mm apart using little bits of 2x2 held in place with a screw through the outer mesh. Just 4 blocks round the top which can be removed when the filter is half full. The position of the inner tube can't be changed after filling, so getting it right matters.
I put a plant pot in the inner tube to stop carbon falling in while I jug it full.
I slap it silly and rock it back n forth at intervals during the fill. Rocking it squarely back n forth makes it thump like rocking a brick or any other square item.
In the lid I put a foam donut made from camping mat foam. This adds some compression. Often a few more rocks back n forth will lead to more carbon going in. The compression is nice as it takes up any settlement gap that could be created.

I buy a few 50L sacks at a time. It's the minimum order quantity to get it wholesale. I'm using virgin Australian at the moment. It has more of the right sized pores than typical stuff, though not as good a ratio of good:bad pore sizes as coco, which has rocketed in price.

Wear a dust mask! every surface around you will be black after this.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Just recently refilled mine 5" filter cost me only £15 for the activated carbon and works bloody brilliant.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just refilled 3 filters and wanted to say thanks for the thread and bumping it to encourage more folk to do it.

The Rhino pro had crushed carbon and the cage was very well built and secured to the bases. The cheaper filters just had The middle tube sat in place and held in with the top of the filter.

large.IMG_20181011_201052_028-810x455.jpglarge.IMG_20181011_201056_770-810x455.jpglarge.IMG_20181011_201104_170-810x1440.jpglarge.IMG_20181011_201117_420-810x455.jpg

• Like 4

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow what a great thread!  does anyone still read it though?  Have found a company selling "Premium activated carbon pellets 4mm" in a 25kg bag for £25 & £10 delivery anywhere in the UK, does this sound too good to be true?

@Joint hogger sorry for picking on you but know you are still active on here & see you are refilling your filters.

Edited by coolfire

I only tried changing the carbon once & it was a messy affair, plus I couldn't guarantee it would filter smelly air properly,

So these days I prefer to buy replacement filters for peace of mind.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

I only tried changing the carbon once & it was a messy affair, plus I couldn't guarantee it would filter smelly air properly,

So these days I prefer to buy replacement filters for peace of mind.

Ok thanks, now I'm in a bit of a dilemma! So did you notice smells outside of your room once you replaced the carbon?

Could smell it sightly, the difference with the filters is that when the filters made they use a vibration plate to settle the carbon & this fills any voids.

thats why I think its worth it to buy new filters, so if you are in the market for a new filter, avoid rhino pro's. 

• Like 2