Build A Contactor/relay

the d.o.c

Hi all,

not being electrically minded at all, would I be able to use an immersion heater timer controller?

seen them advertised for about £20+vat

specs below (from Maplins)

Operating voltage: 230Vac 50Hz

Switch rating: 230Vac 13A resistive or

6A inductive

Operating temperature: -10°C to +50°C

Dimensions: 115 x 74 x 50mm

Surely I could just wire the mains plug in 1 end & the lamp directly to the other?

please let me know asap, as I can get a lift there today

& if I can't use it I'll try to muddle through the build as I don't know any sparkies!!

dikki

I think there's a few peeps that don't use contactors, a mate of mine has never used one, he uses heavy load timers cost about £10-15 each.

Never used a heater timer so can't comment on that, Nigfis built my contactor by following this thread :no: ......

Elzzar :soap:

• 1 month later...

So now we have the home-made contactors, I wouldn't mind using mine to turn the heater on when it turns the lights off.

Looking at the relay, it shouldn't be too hard....

Anyone done this yet?

• 2 weeks later...

You're right, Welsh man of the valleys.

By feck, that's a long name. Welcome, by the way.

Anyways, I had missed the diagram. Cheers for that.

• 1 month later...

eBay's worth keeping an eye on for relays for those wishing to build a contactor. They tend to go cheap as there's little demand for them these days.. I picked up a 10A one plus base for 99p.. bargain :guitar:

• 2 weeks later...
just a crazy idea,but how about wiring a small 15w lamp between neutral and pin 5 of the relay,put the light outside the grow room so you have a visual indication of when its dark.

Also as a rough guide if your unable to obtain the start up current from the manufacters, multiply the lamps wattage by 1.8 and use this figure to calculate the current rating required

91344[/snapback]

I know what time my lights go on and off, as im sure every grower does, i mean, those timers dont set themselves now do they m8, lol, ;) ur toke m8, there u go. enjoy :yinyang:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am going to build myself one of these, i will try to build it so that it turns my heater on (as described earlier in this thread). I want to make sure I order the correct parts as I am pretty clueless with this sort of thing. I currently have a 400HPS, but i will shortly be adding a 250MH, what Relay switch would you recomend, will 10a be enough? A link to the actual item on maplin etc would be great, as i said i am useless at this so need to be hand fed a bit to make sure i dont blow the house up!!! Thanks for your help!!!

Bond

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

does anyone know what relay switch i should get for 2 lights (please see post above). Dont want to keep hasleing people, just havnt got a clue which one to get and really need to get this built!!! Thanks fr your help!!

Bond

• 2 weeks later...

great post unfortunately all the images ar enot loading for me so it gets very hard without visual aids.

if anyone has them and would repost them that would be great as they only went offline in the last few days

cheers

managed to retrieve three of the photos from archive.org, and bunged them back in - if anyone knows of any other web archives where I might find the others.............. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

whats up peeps??

i have built this contactor and it is having problems turning off :wassnnme:

it has no problems switching when there is no power to the lights, but when the lights have been on it wont switch off

inside, the relay looks like its trying to switch but cant

its wired correctly, and it is not a dodgy relay cos we bought another one with no luck

it wont even switch 1x400 let alone the full 2x400 & 1x600 that we need to run

we are running the 2x400 & 1x600 through a 10a mcb with no probs so surely the load couldnt be the problem for the 10a relay, right?????

can anyone help please??

i guess theyll have to be turned off manually for now ;)

>B-Dr<

whats up peeps??

i have built this contactor and it is having problems turning off  :headpain:

it has no problems switching when there is no power to the lights, but when the lights have been on it wont switch off

inside, the relay looks like its trying to switch but cant

its wired correctly, and it is not a dodgy relay cos we bought another one with no luck

it wont even switch 1x400 let alone the full 2x400 & 1x600 that we need to run

we are running the 2x400 & 1x600 through a 10a mcb with no probs so surely the load couldnt be the problem for the 10a relay, right?????

can anyone help please??

i guess theyll have to be turned off manually for now lol

>B-Dr<

341638[/snapback]

hi! m8 ...i think you need more amps!!!!1x400w uses between 3&4 amps but will pull even more at startup so really your only going to power 2 of your lights with a 10amp relay!............. lol ........bb