Build A Contactor/relay

the d.o.c

Guest THE PUFFER
i reckon it would be touch and go

:nervous: fek that mate...

I'll go to growell :oldtoker: Dont wanna burn baby...

Heres a relay rated at 30A for £6.99

http://www.maplin.co.uk/product....=Finder

If you need bigger than that, you could go to a local electrical trade counter and ask for a contactor (these go up to 100's of amps)

Another thing...Most relays have more than one set of contacts. If you connect these contacts in parallel, then they would share the current flow...eg 2 sets of contacts rated at 10A in parallel would have a current rating of 20A

HTH

MrB

• 3 weeks later...

High there,

Nice, informative, article DOC, but one thing makes me wonder - Skunkaroo is from the UK, and his part list is from Maplins.

The relay and socket are JG54 and JG60.

I bought the parts from Maplins today and made a relay,as per Skunkaroo's instructions.

How come you thought the original instructions were aimed at an American audience?

It justs seems strange that you'd have such a "nightmare" sourcing UK parts, when the parts were all UK-listed in the first place?!

Mr.Bucket: the relay you posted is not the type required - follow the instructions and you'll have a fully working timer relay.

All the best,

Trichome

Hi Trichome

I know that relay wont fit the standard relay base. Spade connectors would need to be used. Orinoko Womble was worried that the 10A contact rating wouldn't be enough for his 1000W lamp. The 30A relay I suggested should easily handle it. You could use any bog standard timer with it.

Should have explained myself better   :blush:

thanks

MrB

DOC,

I don't know how I didn't notice the first time I read this thread, but you want to very careful! Going on the pictures you have posted, You have not used 3 core flex! It's extemely important to make sure all earth wiring is bound to a common point in the box. If a wire should come loose on your HPS, your reflector could become electrified! This and water in the area is asking for trouble! I am time served electrician so please heed my warning   :stoned: By selling them without earth continuity you could be looking at a jail term if someone gets hurt :confused:

Not a sly dig at you mate, but electricity is dangerous stuff if not treated right  :peace:

Thanks

MrB

Mr Bucket, I was also thinking about what you pointed out, and thats whats stopped me from building one, although I would like too. Would it be simple to mod it with 3core so it was all nicely earthed? If some one could do this it would be greatly apriciated, and Im sure others will think so too. A definite build for me if done.

Thanks

Sorry for the delay Burnah, I didn't notice your reply.

Yes it's dead simple to mod the DOC's design. Just fit 3-core in place of the 2-core and connect all the earths together in the box. It would also be better to use a metal case and attach all the earth wires to a nut and bolt that passes through the case.

MrB

• 2 months later...

been away a while ,sorry about the delay

on my own site i state that the design is adapted to supplies i could readily find ,unfortunalty there is no maplin where i stay so i had to use a store most people could find

i did not adapt it to three core because i am not an electrician like yourself and i followed skunkaroos instructions with my parts ,although my cousin is an electrician and he inspected it and said as long as all my contacts and wires were screwed in tight it would not present any problems to me

although i will present your quandry to my cousin and see if he thinks i need to adapt further still

thank you for drawing this to my attention Mr B

the d.o.c :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the updates people, Ill be making one of these with some 3 core wire then, hopefully all will work out ok :rolleyes:.

hey the doc

Contactor??????

I have a normal timer from screwfix for my 250 hps and have had no troubleas yet, this is not a fire hazzard is it

electrics timers lights wiring this is not my fortey, i was happy laying bricks

all learning many thanks sj