Build A Contactor/relay

the d.o.c

:oldtoker:

If anyone wants a to switch a smaller current up to 16A

You can buy a Horstmann 425 Coronet Central heating controller (single pole mechanical type) from any good electrical retailer for about £20+

All you need to do is buy a 4 way extension lead ( about 5 meters length ) take the plug off and connect these wires into the output terminal on the unit . Just get another length of 3 core mains cable (13Amp length about 3 meters) connect it into the input terminal on the unit and attach the plug to the other end. Get a small peice of wood and screw the unti unto it.

You now have a 24 hour timer that can switch up to 16A.

Hi D.O.C.

I read your timer relay thread with quite a lot of interest as I'm a newbie to this I was wondering about the surge taken, amperage wise, when cranking up HPS lights.

I also noticed that on your finished product you have a nice mains cable protector/clamp leading into the casing. I mention this as on another D.I.Y project on this site, converting the low bay type hps light, the mains cable is going through a hole in the metal casing with no grip/protection or anything, i feel for safety sake a rubber grommet should be used at least.

I only mention all of this as a safety precaution to anyone out there attempting anything like this as volts JOLT but amps KILL! :oldtoker:

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I found this post very informative, and thought I could add to it by supplying a specific part number, for a timer switch that is rated at 13A (Resistive) 5A (Inductive). Maplins sell one for £14, and is part number VJ58N. They do mail order too, so if you dont have a store near you...

My first post!! lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi D.O.C and everybody else.

A mate of mine has been messing around with Diodes and reckons that a industrial type IE one from a street light is able to cope with the Inductive load

If thats the case

Im not a electronics buff

but would a Diode negate the need for the manual switch

it could be fitted between the timer and the power out side

a heavy duty diode of that type is about £1

if itll work then u cannie get no cheaper than that can u? :cat:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi wugahuftamump,

I'm in no way an expert either, but I think a diode only allows electricity to pass one way? :)

Flux.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

If you are like me and need heat sometimes when the lights are off

Why not re-wire your contactor to have another socket , a NIGHT one ?

The Night socket is where u plug in your heater(s) and it only gets

switched on when your lights are off .. handy for propagators too.

To expand all you need is another length of 3 core cable and a socket to

wire it to.

The diagram is pretty clear but any questions just post

post-21-1058405809_thumb.jpg

Night and day power strips is a great idea shad, looks like a rats nest the way I've done mine. Opens up a world of possibilities, hydro guys can have 2 heaters in the res, different fan speeds etc.

PRS (Dale St. Liverpool) have surplus (but new) 10A relays at £2.50 and £3. One type needs a base, the other doesn't and has spade connectors. They're controlled by 12v, so a cheap option if you've got a 12v mains adapter going spare. 3 contacts, so 30A possible.

Don't know if they'll do mail order, but I'll ask if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just a crazy idea,but how about wiring a small 15w lamp between neutral and pin 5 of the relay,put the light outside the grow room so you have a visual indication of when its dark.

Also as a rough guide if your unable to obtain the start up current from the manufacters, multiply the lamps wattage by 1.8 and use this figure to calculate the current rating required

Edited by Themadhippy

• 1 month later...

A very usefull read ... thanks to everyone who has contributed. I hopefully will be buidling a contactor soon ... I didnt get one for my 250w HPS as I had been informed by some that it was only really necessary if it was OVER 250w ... and by others that I should get it to be safe.

The short version is I was a fool ... the timer blew, and now I have to switch on the lamp about 6am in the morning ... every morning :)

Thinking of giving the building a look into ... looks fun and cheaper than buying.

• 2 weeks later...

link not working?? try this

they havent got JG54 in stock, and the thing is, I need a contactor NOW (i have a half flowered clone under a 70, and want to get it under the 250 ASAP)

its QC81C im looking at, will any double pole 10a 230v 8 pin relay do???

there are two bases too, would it be a PCB or a DIN socket i want???????

does anyone know anywhere else i can get cheap relays online????? ive been searching ages but cant find anything (all i can find is links to bloody search engines) ;)

[b-Dr]

Edited by BushDoctoR

its QC81C im looking at, will any double pole 10a 230v 8 pin relay do???

all that matters is its a 230v ac coil,and the switch contacts are rated for 10 amps at 230 volts(or more) A.C

does anyone know anywhere else i can get cheap relays online

not so cheap but

TLC stocks em as does cpc

but the best bargin maybe here look for Ref: Q0036,16A/25OVAC 2P C/O ex-equipment Push-On terminals.

there are two bases too, would it be a PCB or a DIN socket i want???????

din rail,if theres an option go for top hat,its the most common type