Build A Contactor/relay

the d.o.c

Ok

i may be getting a little confused a bit stoned to why you need relays to switch 3 separate circuits.Can you just not put them in parallel? you are only switching the control circuit not the load circuit the thermostat should be more than capable of taking the current of the control circuit .

but saying that have you thought of a mini plc, along with appropriate contactors.It would give a lot more control and it would be more fun.

I should learn how to program PLCs but I'm only just getting to grips with this electrical malarkey, when I first got here I'd have a panic attack if I had to attempt anything more complicated than wiring a plug. So if I'm a little too pedestrian in my conceptualisation it's only because I'm utterly ignorant on the subject and can only make stuff using the few components I understand to a limited extent.

What I want to do is provide greater flexibility to my lighting, I've run with just one clock and two control circuits and a couple of contactors feeding trailing sockets that switched the same number of lights but I want to have a far greater level of control than that allows. With this each socket gets its own contactor that can be controlled either by time or by both time and temperature. In addition each column of three sockets corresponds to a line of lamps in the grow room and has it's own time clock so it can be switched independently of the others.

Peace

• Like 1

mate, just bite the bullet and buy a siemens logo or similar, they really are a piece of utter piss to program, especially for what you want to do, i reckon with the manual you'll have it sussed in a day or two

• Like 2

Too late, have already ordered most of the stuff I need. If I change the plan at this point I'm bound to f**k it up so I'm gonna try it my way this time and put the PLC at the top of my to-do list. Started work on the lid today.

gallery_45686_6316_48090.jpg

Forgot to mark out the fixing holes for the digital time clocks. Doh!

Peace

• Like 5

• 3 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 6:42 PM, scraglor said:

mate, just bite the bullet and buy a siemens logo or similar, they really are a piece of utter piss to program, especially for what you want to do, i reckon with the manual you'll have it sussed in a day or two

I agree with you about Logo. Really simple to use and light work for something like controlling lights, fans, pumps etc. connect the blocks and away you go.

Things like the Arduino would be good but I am not a fan of line code really. Nice that there are so many plug in modules available.

• 3 years later...