the d.o.c

Bottom of the following page :

http://www.theheadgardener.net/catalogue/a..._Relays_35.html

Trac Timer

Can switch up to 400W without a relay.

Price:  £15.00 [22,14 Euro]

B) :bush: :)

I almost bought this, I really did.

Seemed a good offer, even though the website doesnt really look up to much and paying with my credit card didn't seem such a great idea, but oh well I put one in my online basket and proceeded to checkout ...

... Just to run over this again, this is a small, £15 timer with inbuilt contacter. How much would it way? Enough to justify a £7 postage cost? I severly doubt it. There isnt much that annoys me more than internet companies that keep costs down by charging excessive postage costs. I still remember trying to order a cd-changer cartridge from a cheap online store. This is a small piece of plastic that holds 6 cds, that a local store had tried to charge me £25 for. They were selling it for £12, but with £10 postage costs, regardless of how much or how little you buy.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I found this post very informative, and thought I could add to it by supplying a specific part number, for a timer switch that is rated at 13A (Resistive) 5A (Inductive). Maplins sell one for £14, and is part number VJ58N. They do mail order too, so if you dont have a store near you...

hi guys i noticed this earlier in thread and no one commented on it

does it work?

i have a 400w hps ( from evergreen £65-- it is a spanish version)

i think it says on the ballast that it is 4.15 amp is this the total load or does this get higher on start up and mean the average load

sorry if this is a dumb question but main flowering starts soon

also what are the best timers i am going to borrow one off of miss tarquins old man and he has about 5 different ones in the garage ( digital, manual and christ knows what else but they all look different

i think he might have grown himself once he doesnt even seem the sort to even smoke it but there is a load of extension leads, timers and floros and stuff in his garage

last 3 questions

are there any timers designed for inductive loads and is it safe to plug it into an extension lead with enviro, osc and extrator fan and also if the lights are such a strong load why do you only use a 5 amp fuse,

( sorry to ask but until 4 weeks ago i thought everything used a 13amp fuse)

thanks

TT

• 3 months later...
no, you wouldnt need a contactor for an envirolite..they are only used for HPS/MH lamps

sorry but my timer fused from turning on a 125W blue enviro-->so be careful people!, It was from a pound style shop but still cost £4, my other timer (also £4)has been swithing on my hps and another enviro(525W) :ouch: for months now , i stuck the other enviro on the multiplug today so its up to 650W, im gunna build a contacter this weekend. hopefully the lights will go out tommorow night :wassnnme:

tokintarquin, you can get some timers desined for switching high loads but you are better off getting separate contacter and cheap timer. you know what your getting and i reckon it'd end up cheaper anyhow

and you are ok plugin most things in as long as you dont exceed 3000W on one point, i think. the ring will have a limit as well. just make sure you double check everything, TWICE!

Edited by ukscroger

• 2 weeks later...

last night i woke at 2am to see that my light hadn't switched off! its a 250hps and after a week of using a timer without relay guess what im going to do now? :wassnnme:

i picked this up from site (surplus to requirements i was told). i think its a bit over the top and need advice on whether its ok to use and how to wire it. inside the cover its got a diagram with four/double and single with neutral configurations. anyone out there know if this will be any use to me?

post-102-1088937911.jpg

3rd floor the main thing to watch out for is the coil voltage and current rating if these are ok then something like this should work.whats the model number and manafacter? i can then look it up and double check my diagrams correct and that its suitable rated

post-102-1088979985.jpg

madhippy thanks for the reply, its an

MEM Autoline 3 Contactor

on the contactor it reads TYPE 22ACI 25A 500v AC1 MAX

COIL 347 230...240v 50Hz.

does that help? i wont try it if im not too sure but it would seem a waste if its suitable. anyway thanks again and send me a pm if you got any plumbing probs :ninja:

3rd floor

yep its suitable, mem are a very well knowen manufacter of electrical contol gear ,it can handle 15A of lighting per pole so youll be able to run 13.8k watts of lights of it (23 x 600watt lamps).

thanks madhippy music to my ears. chief sparks on site is going to wire it up for me tomorow, i'll post a pic of the finished article, thanks again :)

• 1 month later...

for the benefit of Nitramkram and to fullfill my pledge above heres how i got the contactor working. sorry but not very good at diagrams so ill try to explain and maybe someone will post a diagram.

See above for a pic of the contactor

You'll need

2 plugs

1 socket

1 metre +/- of 3 core flex (perhaps you'd need something more substanial if your using higher wattage lamps)

First Divide the flex into 3 and strip back the wires. on 2 of them attach plugs and the other a socket.

Next this contactor has 4 terminals either side of the coil. were going to use the 1st and second on the left, top and bottom. on the top, connect the flex with the socket to the top of the contactor. it doesnt matter which is live and neutral as long as you correspond in the next stage.

Next Stage connect one of the flexes with a plug to the 1st and second contact points below and corresponding to above.

Below Below that on the contactor there are two terminals on there own.

conect your live and neutral here of your remaining flex.

On all 3 flexes ensure they all meet at the earthing clamp on the contactor housing

Also ensure youve used grommets. tis good practice :smoke:

Now were ready to rock lol

the way this works is that when the 3rd flex is live via your timer the contactor recoils and makes continuity accross the other flexes. The lower flex, which has a plug on but no timer is always live but wont get to the lamp till the contactor is energised.

Really easy who needs diagrams eh? :ouch:

Disclaimer Im not an electrician but got this advice from a good sparks. im sure madhippy would prefer you to ask him about electrics than have you fry yourselfs :nerd:

Edited by 3rd floor felon