Flushing In Hydro

Owderb

Just found this thread and grow in coco using canna a+b, also have been using ph water for one or two weeks at end (but not any more !) of grow. Canna is for grow and bloom so i can't just use just grow nutes, would it be ok to use it for the last week owd ? Good thread, very enlightening, thanks

• 3 weeks later...
hey stelth, there is a hydro flushing agent on the market which i am going to try. i am due down in 5 weeks. you use it in the last week of flower.

Used in the final week of plant growth, VitaLink Flush will flush excess nutrients and residues, which can be detrimental to yield. However, flushing old nutrients, such as Nitrogen with this Flush can substantially increase yield and quality by creating a root stress that drives energy stored in the plant upwards to the reproductive organs.

If you do not all ready know where to get it drop me a PM and i will send you in the correct direction.

Hope this helps!!! and good luck fellow farmer.

it says on the bottle to add in conjuction with ur nutes

this cant be rite can?

• 2 weeks later...

Now this n00b knows to use grow at the end with no bloom - why is this not explained on feeding schedules ? Great thread, good info cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

hi there i followed this advice on my last crop of sensi northern lights and the end product smokes like a dream,no chemical aftertaste whatso ever,thanks for this advice

FLUSHING IN HYDRO OWDS WAY

The question on flushing keeps arising on the boards and although each individual has their own way i thought i'd give you my thoughts on it

I used to be under the impression that a two week flush was needed at the end in hydro but have since changed my mind completely.My way of thinking is that starving a plant for any amount of time is detrimental to its progress so for me two weeks is a definate no no

What i now do whether in a hydro system or hand watering in coco is 2 weeks from cropping i start to reduce the phosphorus.I cease using any boost/pk13/14 seeing as these have a large amount in and i start to reduce the ec too seeing as plants dont need as many nutes late on.

I run at an ec of 1.8 max no matter how i grow in hydro so i'll drop my ec to 1.4 with the food being made up of 50/50 grow/bloom for 3-4 days,then i'll drop that to 1.0ec till theres only a week left.

The final week i just feed 1ml/grow up until the last 2 days which i'll use just tap water.

What ive found with me not feeding excessively is that if i feed just water i get yellow leaves after just two days,and if this is a fortnight from the end your plant is stressing for 2 weeks and not reaching its potential.The early yellowing leaves also tells me that if my plants are yellowing after just 2 days they have no excess of nutrient in them and my feeding throughout has been pretty much ideal

Ive tried all different methods over the years and thought i'd try and take a leaf out of the organic pot growers book and reduce phosporous towards the end and just use grow in the make up

Less phosporus means a better burn and smoother smoke,and my bud using this method is as smooth as ive ever had it

Plus I believe that it helps with yield seeing as the plant has a little food to keep going throughout its life

I also believe that folk that insist on using high ec's can address the flushing issue earlier and start to drop their ec's 3 weeks before chop.This will help reduce nutrient levels in the plant without affecting its growth because as i said earlier the plant doesnt need as much food towards the end

And as a final word,if you do use plain water for however long dont ph down it cos all you are doing is putting in exactly what we are trying to get out

Also if I find a better way that suits me i'll have to update this

Owd

VERY INFORMATIVE, CHEERS

• 3 weeks later...
Great thread very helpful :notworthy:

wicked thread Owderb, I think im going to try flushing like that myself. Many thanks

Ow an Jiffa, nice arse by the way ! :yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest peace&quiet

Owderb couple of questions here..

Im following hesi,s schedule and should be using the last of my pk 13/14 on week 8 & flushing week 9 with plain water.

Since I water/feed every other day is it worth me reducing the nutes for week 9? Do I flush with water daily instead of every other day?

How much water do I put thro a 6.5 litre pot? is it 2x 6.5 = 13 litres :crybaby:

If this is the case Im going to have to bring them out the tent to do so..for a week daily! thats gonna be a pain in the arse.

Any ideas?

p&q

Flushing doesnt mean putting loads through the pot

You just water when needed but with just plain water....Its actually starving it not flushing

Owd

Guest peace&quiet

Cheers fella

pwewwww! I had images of me dragging them out on a daily basis and sending my water rates sky hi with 13 litres per plant a day :wink:

Rekon its worth feeding for half of week 9 I could still get a couple of feeds in and then leave them an extra day or two so i could run some plain water thro?

Appreciate your help.

p&q

P&Q -

I'm following Owd's method too. All I did was make sure I flushed my coco thoroughly through with the organic flush mix. I took the plant out of the tent, put it on a bucket, and poured about 5l through (in a 6.5l pot). It's my feeling that flushing the medium thoroughly ensures no residue is left over (for non-organic folk in coco). Canna's flush product also suggests putting a multiplier of the pot size through to flush, so I'm fairly sure it's not crazy stupid. It's not essential either but I reckon for the first flush if you can you should.

Again, my minor personalisation to Owd's method. He's the man, what he says goes over any of my spraff...

GN

I mainly do scrogs nowadays due to being addicted to the technique (do not need any more bud i keep telling myself) but as doing a scrog taking the plants out to flush through with organic or canna flush is not an option - came close to Owds method this time round, and its all rosy - each to their own, but it is one hell of a good place good place to start!

Z

• Like 1

It's my feeling that flushing the medium thoroughly ensures no residue is left over

If by residue you mean salt build up then flushing 20 gallons through wont do anything. You cant just wash a salt build up out of the root system with water, in fact not with anything.

When you get a salt build up on your pots or reservoirs look what effort it takes to get it off when it comes to cleaning

The only time I can think of that flushing copious amounts of water through any medium was advantageous is if you have just made a mistake with feed and you flush it out quickly

Owd

• Like 1