Flushing In Hydro

Owderb

Guest podgy

To each their own... But I suspect if i go Owderb's way I'll get a good head-start on vegging, and I'll bet there's no difference in my smoke cause of it.. If there is I'll say so.. but I doubt it... :guitar:

stealth If your pebbles are that full of salts it probably means you have been overfeeding .

• Like 3

well for me i always used to flush for 5 days but the last few grows i have done i have flushed for 2 weeks and to me there is no difference in the taste at all but i think flushing for the 2 weeks does give me less of a yield lol so for me its going back to me 5 day flush :yinyang:

• Like 2

stealth If your pebbles are that full of salts it probably means you have been overfeeding .

I am under for the majority of the time and that's a low 1.6 on the old EC meter, but if it crawls higher I add some fresh water. The EC DOES rise as I'm sure you know, and this is generally due to stored nutrients.

I'm sure its an each to their own situation here, ...

What I should make sure to say is that when I begin my pure tap water flush, its not long before the nutrient levels are back, so in my own way I too am keeping the nutrients flowing DESPITE using just tap water, for two weeks.

Eventually the level falls to about 0.4EC

Good luck with your grows everyone, I'm not suggesting anyone reduces their crop size here, but mines just for me, and so its extra squeaky clean.

• Like 1

Guest Cannabaceae
FLUSHING IN HYDRO OWDS WAY

The question on flushing keeps arising on the boards and although each individual has their own way i thought i'd give you my thoughts on it

I used to be under the impression that a two week flush was needed at the end in hydro but have since changed my mind completely.My way of thinking is that starving a plant for any amount of time is detrimental to its progress so for me two weeks is a definate no no

What i now do whether in a hydro system or hand watering in coco is 2 weeks from cropping i start to reduce the phosphorus.I cease using any boost/pk13/14 seeing as these have a large amount in and i start to reduce the ec too seeing as plants dont need as many nutes late on.

I run at an ec of 1.8 max no matter how i grow in hydro so i'll drop my ec to 1.4 with the food being made up of 50/50 grow/bloom for 3-4 days,then i'll drop that to 1.0ec till theres only a week left.

The final week i just feed 1ml/grow up until the last 2 days which i'll use just tap water.

What ive found with me not feeding excessively is that if i feed just water i get yellow leaves after just two days,and if this is a fortnight from the end your plant is stressing for 2 weeks and not reaching its potential.The early yellowing leaves also tells me that if my plants are yellowing after just 2 days they have no excess of nutrient in them and my feeding throughout has been pretty much ideal

Ive tried all different methods over the years and thought i'd try and take a leaf out of the organic pot growers book and reduce phosporous towards the end and just use grow in the make up

Less phosporus means a better burn and smoother smoke,and my bud using this method is as smooth as ive ever had it

Plus I believe that it helps with yield seeing as the plant has a little food to keep going throughout its life

I also believe that folk that insist on using high ec's can address the flushing issue earlier and start to drop their ec's 3 weeks before chop.This will help reduce nutrient levels in the plant without affecting its growth because as i said earlier the plant doesnt need as much food towards the end

And as a final word,if you do use plain water for however long dont ph down it cos all you are doing is putting in exactly what we are trying to get out

Also if I find a better way that suits me i'll have to update this

Owd

Nice post owd i get the exact same probs as you describe i also notice from your diary i use the same nutes at the same ec so i am going to give this a try in a few weeks :D In the past i tended to skip a weeks flushing as the plants used to look so bad

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice Owderb. I have a few question for you if you don't mind.

I have not got an EC meter so am unable to monitor the EC level but I am using Dutch Master flower at the moment and am due to change the solution tomorrow and wondered what you would advise. Tomorrow will be day 44 of flower. Should I reduce the amount of nutrient I give them for the next 7-10 days and then switch to plain water for the last few days or do I mix in some Bloom mix with the flower for the next 7-10 days. On previous grows I have used flushing solution but money is a bit tight so would prefer not to have to buy any if possible. I can attach pics if it helps

Cheers

Edited by Dawkins
  • Like 1

Tomorrow will be day 44 of flower. Should I reduce the amount of nutrient I give them for the next 7-10 days

All depends on how long a flowering period you have

Just stop using any pk13/14 with 2 weeks to go and reduce your basic foods ec mix.Makes no difference how long a flowering period you have,just do the same thing.

You have to be able to judge when the plants are going to finish,I use clones so i know how long they go

Owd

• Like 1

Using NFT 205

I have a couple of days to go on my Orange Bud and have been flushing for the last 4 days. I always have trouble keeping my EC down and is normally up around the 1.8 2.0 region. So 4 days ago i emptied my tank of all water and nutes and filled with 15 litres of water only. Left it for about 10 minutes and went back and checked my EC reading and it was at 0.4. Spot on.

Next night i went back to check on things and my EC reading had gone up to 1.2 ?? Now i think i know why this is. The Orange Bud im growing is massive and the root system is nearlying coming out of the top tray on my NFT tank and has gone right in below in the water res and is not kicking the arse of smoothering my water pump.

The next night the EC is back to 1.8 again...:oldtoker: and this is with just filling with water each time.

I have a m8 who only flushes the last few days of his grow and his weed always taste far harsher than mine.

Im sticking with 6 days flushing at the minute.

• Like 1

Guest The Sheriff

Cricky thats a pretty hefty jump , i did notice the "run of" from the trays upped the ec of mine a tad prolly 0.6 - 0.8 but nothing like that i simply changed the res on the second or 3rd day witch isnt a prob as on the first top up of fresh water just put in the amount they will drink in a couple o days , have you checked that meter ?

Cricky thats a pretty hefty jump , i did notice the "run of" from the trays upped the ec of mine a tad prolly 0.6 - 0.8 but nothing like that i simply changed the res on the second or 3rd day witch isnt a prob as on the first top up of fresh water just put in the amount they will drink in a couple o days , have you checked that meter ?

Took my ec meter to a m8's house tonight to check its reading properly and its spot on.

As i said i think with the amount of root system i have the run off from the tray and what roots are already swimming in the tank has made the ec rise very quickly again.

Took my ec meter to a m8's house tonight to check its reading properly and its spot on.

As i said i think with the amount of root system i have the run off from the tray and what roots are already swimming in the tank has made the ec rise very quickly again.

Some of my roots have started to grow into the water too. Is it better to pull them out and place them back on the root mat or are they ok in the water?

B)

Edited by Dawkins
  • Like 1

Guest jiffa

owd i have used this method for the last 2 grow (dropping ec and switching back to grow nutes ) but this time im usin canna coco nutes and there is no grow nutes :ninja:

should i just drop the ec as i would normally ?

and i have tasted no difference

Cant see why not mate,but drop it quite low the final week

Owd

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 1