Variacs

Rastajedi

Ok, that didnt work mate. One stage of the thermostat worked, switched the thermostat and smoke again!

I'm at a loss here is a picture of the thermostat wiring...

post-59510-0-31480500-1298314586_thumb.jpg

post-59510-0-33490500-1298314598_thumb.jpg

Does it matter which way round the live and neutral are on the variac, Its seems to work correctly if the Live is on output, and Neutral is on Input????

When Live in on input and neutral is on output 0=fast & 100=off?????

just had a look at the stat spec,it is a rts8? if so it wont do what you want it to do,the switching arrangment is spst (single pole single throw) you need a spdt (single pole double throw).you could add a relay ,one with a 240v coil and dpdt switching,or change the stat for something more suitable like a Drayton RTS 4

Right hopefully this is my last post on the matter!

I now have the following Thermostat: Danfoss RET230T Which is a "Single Pole Double Throw" Which by the way people is what you need!

Can someone clever please look at the attached photos and tell me where the 3 wires go:

Live to the fan

&

2x Variable lives from variacs

Thanks guys

SS

post-59510-0-86026400-1298398986_thumb.jpg

post-59510-0-77556000-1298399002_thumb.jpg

post-59510-0-78575700-1298399018_thumb.jpg

Edited by SexiSarh

terminal 3 to the fan,1 to the output of 1 variac,2 to the other variac output,and live and neutral to live and neural from the power in

terminal 3 to the fan,1 to the output of 1 variac,2 to the other variac output,and live and neutral to live and neural from the power in

I've only got 3 wires, the 2 variable lives from the variacs, and the live that goes to the fan. In the original wire diagram it shows just 3 wires going to the thermostat. Will that be ok?

As well as the variacs that stat needs mains to work,so tap of the live and neutral before the variac and feed them to corisponding terminals on the stast,you should end up with 5 wires at the stat.

As well as the variacs that stat needs mains to work,so tap of the live and neutral before the variac and feed them to corisponding terminals on the stast,you should end up with 5 wires at the stat.

Ok mate no worries, I'll get on it tonight. How come rastas therm only took 3 wires?

Will I need 5 core cable for this one?

How come rastas therm only took 3 wires

His stat was an electro mechanical type,using a bi metal strip to make and break the contacts,these work fine but can be a bit hit and miss as to the actual operating tempreture.yours is electronic ,using a sensor to measure the tempreture,should be a bit more scurate

if youve got some then use it,if not just use another bit of 2 or 3 core flex will do fine

How come rastas therm only took 3 wires

His stat was an electro mechanical type,using a bi metal strip to make and break the contacts,these work fine but can be a bit hit and miss as to the actual operating tempreture.yours is electronic ,using a sensor to measure the tempreture,should be a bit more scurate

if youve got some then use it,if not just use another bit of 2 or 3 core flex will do fine

Cheers mate, really apretiate you taking the time to help me. I'll have a crack tonight and post some pics when complete.

Thanks again.

As promised guys the photos of my finished: Thermostat controlled, 2 speed fan controller - You can set one dial to 40% for example and if the GR gets hotter than you have set your thermostat, then it switches to dial 2's setting e.g. 70% to cool it down then switches back to 40%.

So to summarise, parts were easy to source, putting everything together was a dodle the only stumbling blocks were the wiring for me and not knowing the correct thermostat to buy so my points of advice for others would be.

• Make sure the Thermostat is a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw)- I went through 4 Thermostats trying to get the right one!
  • I have made some notes to the OP's wiring diagram (I mistook the Power in for Fan socket power!) - Bloody stoneres! lol
  • Just a note my Thermostat has 5 contacts (That's why I have 4 cables leaving the box) 2 go to the Thermostat)
  • My Live went to Output in the end and my Neutral to Input - Not sure why but otherwise 0% was full and 100% was no power???

Anyway apart from the above minor hitches I really enjoyed making this and think it will improve my GR greatly.

post-59510-0-30736000-1298818835_thumb.jpg

post-59510-0-92221200-1298818848_thumb.jpg

post-59510-0-72497700-1298818861_thumb.jpg

post-59510-0-42242300-1298818879_thumb.jpg