Rock Dust.

murran

TBH Mate you don't find a lot of people even mentioning rock dust on this site only a small % use it. Anything you said has already been discussed in the thread if you have read it, You and your mate have come on and said people are wasting their money and using it is pointless,And complain when other people disagree with you

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

Your opinion is appreciated but it won't be by everybody. Few people approach the subject in an evidence-based manner.

Thanks catweazle1. Knowledge is not for everyone, some are destined to remain ignorant. Cheers.

27 minutes ago, Jimboo said:

TBH Mate you don't find a lot of people even mentioning rock dust on this site only a small % use it. Anything you said has already been discussed in the thread if you have read it, You and your mate have come on and said people are wasting their money and using it is pointless,And complain when other people disagree with you

If i'm complaining then we are not in the same universe.   I'm out of this. Have a good one.

39 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

If i'm complaining then we are not in the same universe.   I'm out of this. Have a good one.

Yeah, I knew that when you said you didn't know what No-till was.

• Like 4

On 8/25/2019 at 7:12 PM, Newfie_Grow_Dr said:

I can suggest that you save your money and your time. Rock dust will do nothing for your grows.

12 hours ago, Newfie_Grow_Dr said:

Buddy13. I came here to gain some knowledge and to share some. I have read all threads in this post before my first post, and "I", have understood it. I joined this group because I thought a bunch of like-minded people, sharing knowledge, not self-centered individuals promoting their own agenda, would be a benefit. The thread is about "rock dust" I gave my opinion after reading the thread because I thought my knowledge would be appreciated. I did not expect to be chastised for giving an opinion based on fact. I think bashing your head against a wall is a good thing from what I have read, let me know when it puts some useful information in there and removes ignorance, then we can continue the discussion.

If you are a proponent of rock dust, good on ya mate, but don't senselessly bash others for having a different opinion. Not exactly what I would call welcoming for a newbie........... 

sorry dude just a bit fed up of people coming in, talking shit, getting found out and then fucking off leaving their shit misinformation behind. 

if you want newbie bashing; fuck off you amateur geologist ;)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

I'm out of this. Have a good one.

if only you'd decided this a few posts back...….:clapping:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Newfie_Grow_Dr said:

I see where you are trying to go, and to be honest I'm not about debunking what you or others say, but rather giving a scientific explanation for the general misled populous. As someone who works in the metals mining industry in a scientific role, I believe I have a conceptual understanding of the discussion topic. I was not including phosphate or lime, but rather directed more towards the glacial rock, azomite, basalt etc. type "Rock Dust" being sold and used by growers, and expecting some miraculous plant growth.  Phosphate, depending on the form, is insoluble in water, with the exceptions of what is produced for plant fertilization, which is water soluble of course. Lime is used more as a soil pH modifier, and not so much as fertilizer available to plant use. The benefits of purchasing and applying rock dust to plants hoping to get monster plants from the contained elements, is not going to happen. I could go into what is required for refining elements from mined rock, and it involves a lot more then just pulverizing to -75 micron, but it is not necessary for this discussion in my opinion. 

The point I was trying to put across is; don't waste money on rock dust, get yourself some good organic compost and you will have all the mico/macro elements you need, and your plants will thank you for it. All of the elements in the compost have already been taken up by plant matter and remains in the composted stocks, leaves, stems etc and is readily available for you plants to use. You do not get that from rock dust, a complete waste of money.

I go to the beach and collect kelp, pulverize in my blender with some molasses and bananna juice. Lots of good elements in the kelp and already in the form available to plants, and my buds are beautiful, big, plump and juicy sticky!!:-)

But hey, why not, I have access to tonnes and tonnes of rock dust, $10 a pond, just let me know much you all need and I'll be glad to sell some snake oil :-). Sorry, had to throw that in there, but honestly and seriously, don't waste money on snake oil. Save your money is what I am saying.

You seem a little confused. This thread is about feeding and growing living soil, not providing nutrients for direct plant uptake. All fungi excrete enzymes that break down complex chains into material that can be ingested as food, and in the case of ecto and endo mycorrhizal, that can then be exchanged upon request by the plant. 

Edited by Cambium
  • Like 9

Dont normally willy wave as it's an internet Walter Mitty move but it seems de rigueur on this thread so.... I've participated personally in actual soil recovery studies for agriculture and soil recovery projects here and abroad, seed mixing and succession projects in recovered land (one example being samphire ho created from channel tunnel spoil), have a degree in a related ecological discipline as well as molecular biology. That includes phyto, fungal and bacterial remediation. Interestingly also microbial ore leaching. So I feel pretty well qualified.

Most 'rock dust' trials are based on agricultural crops and subsequent impact on yield. The results are mixed, studies limited and many show a net zero impact. This could lead to the conclusion that rock dust is 'pointless'. However when applied to weathered, demineralised soils the impact changes and data is poor.

None of that is relevant however to this sub forum which caters for those using compost and/or living soils/'no till'. If you have a full single use compost mix rock dust is less likely to be of benefit. If you have a living soil/no till setup and structural longevity is important then plainly it will be beneficial. Heavy organic mixes wont last for our purposes without a mineral skeleton substitute.

Also the idea that microbial chelation or breakdown of rock dust into useful and available nutrients takes a long time is factually incorrect.

I do agree that claims made by distributors are wildly overstated but that extends to just about every amendment out there so poking at it is a bit fish in a barrel.

From my point of view reviewing this thread the reason people have taken exception to views expressed is that they have been accompanied with self important phrases like 'educating the ignorant populous' . Suggesting we either agree with you and your boundless knowledge or are misled plebs. Which makes you sound like a prick.

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
  • Like 12

Look I see no point in dissing one another, I said in my first post in this topic from observation that “our general consensus is that the plants are studier and generally more healthy all round“

That was in Feb 07 it was true then and remains just as true today, as people who read my posts will know, I am into gardening naturally. I have used rockdust added to live active microbe rich compost ever since, the effect is stronger, healthier plants with really good root systems. I tried to outline my opinion on this in  March 07 here!

I am not interested in the chemical salt fixation with yield quicker faster attitude, this is what has destroyed and depleted our farm land its attitudes distort the thinking of food production worldwide supported by the agricultural multinational chemical/herbicide brigade who control food production today.

Good healthy organic compost inoculated with rockdust will give healthy plants, the reason is the rockdust promotes a healthy  bacterial/fungal micro heard, this in turn contributes to healthy roots and plants needing less inputs, if you are using larger containers so called notill the results are better and much more long term.

I use notil/no dig for growing my vegetables fruit GH etc, No fertiliser inputs needed just a 4 to 6 inch mulch of my garden compost every year, rockdust is added as a light dusting at the start of the composting cycle layer by layer as the heaps are made. Ornamental flowers etc still use my own garden compost and all are recycled through the garden composting system every year, nothing is wasted. I see no deficiencies all my garden is very healthy and produces much more than when I used blood/fish and bone. 

I do not ever try and tell anyone they are wrong, I do try and encourage people to garden and grow in a more sustainable way or organically however you define  that one of the most interesting books I have read is “We Want Real Food” by Graham Harvey! I think his outlook and insights on food production are pretty to the point.

Sorry if my viewpoint is boring but this is the organic growing forum and people keep jumping in with chemical concepts are the reality pov, the fact that this planets soil grew plants for millions of years without any fertiliser being needed being ignored astounds me.

• Like 17

8 minutes ago, oldtimer1 said:

one of the most interesting books I have read is “We Want Real Food” by Graham Harvey!

Great book. It's been a while, but it might be time for another thumb through.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, buddy13 said:

sorry dude just a bit fed up of people coming in, talking shit, getting found out and then fucking off leaving their shit misinformation behind. 

if you want newbie bashing; fuck off you amateur geologist ;)

Buddy13. you are nothing but an ignorant fucking pommie cunt. Now I'm coming down to your intellect level so you can fully understand and grasp what I'm saying. How about you take your toys and fuck off out of my sand box and leave your ignorant comments to yourself! ASSHOLE!

24 minutes ago, Newfie_Grow_Dr said:

Buddy13. you are nothing but an ignorant fucking pommie cunt. Now I'm coming down to your intellect level so you can fully understand and grasp what I'm saying. How about you take your toys and fuck off out of my sand box and leave your ignorant comments to yourself! ASSHOLE!

Image result for bob and vic handbags

• Like 10