Rock Dust.

murran

Hi there,

I'm thinking about getting some Basalt rock dust from the seer centre to give a try on a grow.

Has anyone got any experience of this stuff and what is like, has anyone tried it and if so did they see any difference?

Any info would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Murran ;)

• Like 3

I and several friends are using rock dust, the general consensus is that the plants are studier and generally more healthy all round.

• Like 7

Yup , ive got some ... :unsure:

and can definately concur that my roots love it :punk:

god bless :(

redgrotto

PS/ i have aquired some Seer Rocksoil (compost with rockdust already added) accidently as well, do you reckon its worth trying for cannabis or what?

Dont wanna kill anything without researching first :wink:

cheers :D

Edited by redgrotto

A friend is just doing a side by side using rock soil with rockdust against either allmix or plagron royal(not sure which) :wink:

I'll let ya know soon enough...He's growing chilli's in them both by the way :(

Owd

• Like 2

No its basalt, marble would be like adding lime, not sure about granite.

Got to say the product is very variable, some bags very good and some more like gravel, the gravel type would be fine for long term in the garden, but the fine version better in compost.

• Like 1

I and several friends are using rock dust, the general consensus is that the plants are studier and generally more healthy all round.

Sounds interesting. How much basalt do you add to say a 6.5l pot of compost?

• Like 1

Sounds interesting. How much basalt do you add to say a 6.5l pot of compost?

Hi Bish,

i had asked OT1 the same question before i used the stuff, and he said he adds " Approx two handfuls per 15 litres, thats plenty I think. You need inoculant for it to work well."

Hope this helps mate :smoke:

redgrotto

Edited by redgrotto

I had a search last night and it seems basalt rock is regarded as a soil replenisher rather than an enhancer.

Home gardeners didn't seem to like it and said a lab soil test would be needed to see if trace elements needed to be replenished as the diy kits aren't accurate enough.

It seem's to be a good organic solution for replenishing intensely farmed land or barren moorland on a large scale but what about for a few pots in the shed.

There are other articles i found where there is talk of strawberries the size of tennis balls but also a study stating that adding it to an already rich soil medium inhibited growth.

When it was mixed with just perlite to create a growing medium it seemed to produce better results than a soil/compost mix with added basalt :smoke: .

Have you and your muckers noticed a difference in your crops or fruit/veg size yet OT1 as i've been wondering how to give me apple and cherry trees a treat as they have been standing in the same spot for 20+ years.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Would it make a fresh potting medium too hot adding these extra minerals at the start of a canna grow or would it be added when potting up a more mature plant.

Another interesting find is that quarries sell the same stuff for £17 a tonne whilst garden centres charge upwards of £15 for a small bag ;)

All i need is to fire up the vibratory plate and bag it up and hey ho were in business

G.A.T.I B)

• Like 1

Also is it truly organic as there is a posting that states because it is a by product of Mining it isn't and it is only allowed by the soil association by written permission and with special justification :innocent:

The chappie also states that there is no Nitrogen content so i'm a little confused as to the perlite/basalt test grow as some say it works well as long as a High N soil/compost is used.

G.A.T.I B)

Edited to take out an extra "as long" DOH.

Edited by GETAROUNDTOIT

Where do I get some basalt rockdust? Garden centre?

I want to make a couple of additions to my compost mixture. Calcified seaweed and Rockdust.

;)

• Like 1