Rock Dust.

murran

Can anyone provide me with in-depth details on the rock dust, I already have it in my soil but wanted more detailed information regarding the matter.. Ps. I would check this whole post but I can't see much on rock dust from the pages I've checked other than verbal slur!

1 hour ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

@GB12345 what type of rock dust do you have for a start? 

Glacial, volcanic, sweepings up from the local stonemason? 

Volcanic and basalt... and I'd like to think the glacial rock dust is the best here? Like the purest untainted rock dust there is... been reading through all of Jeff lowenfels books as well which has been helpful but theres just so much to learn about all of these elements

Edited by GB12345
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 11:02 AM, GB12345 said:

Volcanic and basalt... and I'd like to think the glacial rock dust is the best here? Like the purest untainted rock dust there is... been reading through all of Jeff lowenfels books as well which has been helpful but theres just so much to learn about all of these elements

I got some volcanic rock dust, a good brand, but put in too much.  Resulted in it moving to bottom of pots, making them stay "wet" on the hygrometer.  So backed off on watering.   Waiting to switch to 12 L pots with little dust applied.   Also have the mycorr bacteria and molasses, as I think thats what plants need to be able to access the minerals in the dust.   I don't know much about it, but trying it anyway in first proper grow.      It sounds good, but as a noob,  do Not add too much.  It will just gravitate to bottom when mixing soil.   

On 26/10/2019 at 11:02 AM, GB12345 said:

It's mostly inert.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/42952904?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/26/2019 at 6:54 PM, Newfie_Grow_Dr said:

Buddy13. I came here to gain some knowledge and to share some. I have read all threads in this post before my first post, and "I", have understood it. I joined this group because I thought a bunch of like-minded people, sharing knowledge, not self-centered individuals promoting their own agenda, would be a benefit. The thread is about "rock dust" I gave my opinion after reading the thread because I thought my knowledge would be appreciated. I did not expect to be chastised for giving an opinion based on fact. I think bashing your head against a wall is a good thing from what I have read, let me know when it puts some useful information in there and removes ignorance, then we can continue the discussion.

If you are a proponent of rock dust, good on ya mate, but don't senselessly bash others for having a different opinion. Not exactly what I would call welcoming for a newbie........... 

Your post was painful to read.  In that it reminded me of the back pain carrying a 40kilo bag of useless rock up the stairs, then faffing about mixing it....reading your post, carrying it back down to outside shed,  where I grimace every time I look at the accursed crushed rock I paid a lot for!    The science you present, is pretty much incontrovertible evidence for me, as you work in the relevant field.    Thanks for your post.   No need, ever, for people to be unkind on here.    After all,  aren't 420 afficionados meant to be cool and kind ? :)       Happy xmas to you.    I look forward to reading more of your posts, as you clearly know your growing.  

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 9:46 PM, MyDisplayName2000 said:

OK, we're back on track again I guess :)

I only looked at the thread to see if adding a touch of rock dust might be good and ended up wondering why people got so drawn into some kind of rock throwing contest :)

Let He Who Has Not Chucked Rockdust about, pick up the first bag :)  

• Like 3

I've been using Andesite rock dust for years now.  Go for the high paramagnetic value.  >8,000**

This is my experience and I could be wrong... Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

rock dust being touted in the press today as global warming saviour in the farming world,  we should all sprinkle a little rock dust going forwards to help mother earth and our little ladies,  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/11/2019 at 2:34 PM, pepe16 said:

I can use it to pour over the catshit in the Garden then....:(    Bastard neighbourhood cats use our big garden as a communal Cat Crappery.

Get some ground black pepper sprinkle over your garden the cats won’t want to visit again

On 7/26/2020 at 4:00 PM, Dotti20 said:

Get some ground black pepper sprinkle over your garden the cats won’t want to visit again

Conversely, two of my cats love the smell of black pepper and will dig and scratch wherever it is 

• Like 2

I read, earlier in the thread, that ot1 recommended 2 handfuls of rock dust for every 15 litres of soil. I weighed up two handfuls, rougly 350 grams, that's a little over half of what's suggested on the bag I have (label says: 2 kg per 50 litres, I would use less though). Is that still considered a good amount to use?

Edited by Cashmere Moments

• 5 weeks later...

i scored some rock dust off my m8 put some in with an all mix pot up, its only my 2nd grow but all mix seems to run hot and i got some weird colouring on the fan leaves but it settled down and the new growth and roots looked boss. I would use rock dust as a wee bump for micro nutrients