Thermostat To Override A Fan Controller

oldtimer1

Hi All

Not a first time grower but first time in loft in NFT

God! I was unprepared for the massive task of enviromental control. managed to hold temps between about 27c lights on and about 18-19c lights out. this will fluctuate though depending on ambient temp outside.

This thread has been an interesting read but I was just wondering what would be the easiest and cheapest thermostat to buy and install to control the electric/oil heater i have in the room. Top temps at lights on arent a problem but lights out sometimes can drop quickly. The oil heater has a built in thermostat but not good enough for this aplication.

Any advise would most appreciated as at the moment im pulling my hair out and checking every 12 hours to adjust the enviroment.

Right, fresh back from screw fix and ive bought a Horstmann HRT3 room thermostat.

My next question is what is the correct way to wire this up so it will switch the oil rad on when temps drop below x degrees?

there are four connections, listed as per instructions,

1 - L (line/mains/Live supply)

2 - Do Not Use

3 - Load (Heat/Call for Heat)

4 - N (Neutral)

Any diagrams or walkthroughs would be a great help

Not when your paranoid about getting it right so you down burn your loft down :stoned:

I am asuming the live to live, neutral to neutral, on load sends live as trigger to heater and neutral from heater runs back to plug?

if this is it then its going in this afternoon

run neutral from the heater back to the neutral in the thermostat, so you have one cable in from plug and one cabe out to the heater, but other than that, you're right

• 10 months later...

i dont understand this idea exactly.

there is 1 fan controller and there is also 1 thermostat.

for example,we set the fan controller as '' maxiumum''

also we set the thermostat as '' 27 celcius''

so,if the room's temperature is higher than 27,fan would work full speed .is this true ?

and if the room's temperature is lower than 27,which speed would fan work ?half speed ? or would fan stop ?

and for example again,i want fan to work at half speed when temperature of room is lower than 27.

and i want fan to work at full speed if temperature of room is higher than 27.

is this possible ? how?

(i read all topic and i tried to understand a but my english is not good ,sorry)

a thermostat is a simple switch, but rather than your finger pressing the switch, it does it automatically at the temperature you set it too. you set the fan controller to half speed and the fan is powered through this, when the temp climbs to your 27'c the thermostat switches the fan controller off and full mains voltage oto your fan to run it at full speed

If you wanna save yourself the bother of making 1 of these look for a seller called sparky4uquads on ebay. He knocks these together for a reasonable price. I paid just under £60 for a humid/thermostat with day & night settings & a 4 gang socket.

sounds good to me, how would i find this seller on ebay? what would i tipe in the search box?

• 3 months later...

hi,

i was wondering how i wire my fan controller up to work with a thermostat.

i have done some drawings to show what i have, i have tried myself but keep blowing the fuse on the controller.

thanks for any help,

post-33303-1239832922_thumb.jpg

post-33303-1239832929_thumb.jpg

seriously!? all it is is a swithc, on or off! :cat: brown wire from controller to number 1, brown wire from number 2 to fan. neutral from controller to neutral on fan

ok,

where would i wire in the live/neutral to make the fan run at full speed then?

so the thermostat switches between low speed/ full speed.

thankyou.

hah, sorry, brown wire from plug to no.1. the thermostat simply bypasses the controller. connect the fan and controller as normal. then add the switch into the circuit, so when the switch closes, it puts the 240v from the plug, onto the the live going into the fan. it is an electronic controller and not a transformer/stepped controller