Thermostat To Override A Fan Controller

oldtimer1

• 7 months later...

A quick sketch/diagram of how a standard room thermostat to override a fan speed controller works.

Hey OT, does the fan speed controller in your diagram have power to it initially. I'm thinking of making one with a Honeywell T6360B and this speed controller below but pretty confused cos I'll have 2 power plugs! One to the honeywell thermostat and one supplying my fan controller already. :unsure:

post-13685-1172014283.jpg

• 7 months later...

Wow this is so cool! I can design whatever I may need man...

I'm just in the build, bu I have many opions.

How can I use an "ECO Technics Evolution" Digital Fan/Heater controller to be bypassed by a thermostat and increase fanspeed as the temps hover?

(Or would I be better off just making my own from scratch maybe?)

PS! I'm in 230V-land

^^^ i have the same question about a similar unit... but the unit im looking at eeds to be panel mounted and wired to sockets for equipment. If id thought the eco could be made to bypass a speedo id have got one ages ago but i guess theres no real reason why not.

Edited by growguy yorks

actually i bet if you you follow the directions using a relay that OT1 did for OCC with his habistat cool control thermostat((which i may end up following if my current idea doesnt pan out)), and put that on the cooling output of the Ecotechnics evoloution.....it would work...better check with a spark to be sure though.

Edited by growguy yorks

Hi again fellows! I've been reading and looking at pictures of fan-controller diagrammes for some days and need to get mine up and running soon. (Getting cold here now and I'm right in the mid-bloom of my main crop, so I wanna make it stable temp wise now) :wink:

Could somebody please help me understand this further?

I have 16A 220-240V course in my growroom.

For venting the bloom tent I use the lower wattage 125RVK now on a 15-300w light dimmer outlet, but wanna make something better and possibly usable for when I get my RVK160 soon. (It's about 90w I think, and the current 125 is only 35w or something.)

But over to the actual questions I have:

Here at my hand a couple of thermos and a simple 0,05-0,5A speedo, but hav trouble figuring how to wire. (Basicly I don't understand where output is and which terminals to connect at eachothers.... (Can't see where output is from the diagram either, maybe just because I'm all blank at this electronic language.)

Heres the speedo diagram and a pic of the following terminals: arrow up - arrow down - N - N - ~ w/slash "/" across the wave mark

(Due to file size I must send the thermo pictures in the next post... And do please bear over with me, as I'm new to this site and not familiar with all features yet.)

post-23132-1191687048_thumb.jpg

post-23132-1191687081_thumb.jpg

Here's my thermostats diagram, and the terminals are numbered 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

I'm not sure, but it seems like I some how can use this for both cooling/heating by changing the brown "L" between terminal 2 and 3.

(But is this device just supposed to (dis)connect the L and the N with each other at a given temp? -And if so: can I just have this thermostat remotely connected to the controller by a 2-3m long dual core flexible lamp-wire?

post-23132-1191688089_thumb.jpg

post-23132-1191688110_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cannalingus

try to get a clear pic of that label on the thermostat, it will tell which is the cooling output and which is the heating output...my danfoss RMT230 had a label in much the same... there will be 2 numbers one with an arrow pinting up and one pining down...the up is heatng the down is cooling. on mine the input is one, the cooling output is 3 and heating is 2..... its most likely that 1 will be the live input for yours too...if logic is anything to with it :wink: but i dont know if it is. you can email the manufacturer and ask them what contact does what if you like. to test which is the cooling output you could wire an extension lead to it, connect the live from the plug to the input, dont cut the earth and neutral, then connect the other cut end of the live to one of the output, plug a radio into the socket and turn the dial to room temp, then use a hairdryer to warm the stat...if it switches the radio on as it heats up then your on the cooling contact....... if not try the next contact.... that label will tell you which 2 to test, it might even mean you dont need to.

ignore what i justposted..... it doesnt look like ur live input is 1 i dont want you to blow urself up....

OT1 did a diagram for one using a relay....you might need that as opposed to the simple method

up arrow live in,down arrow switched output,just give full power out when the unit is turned on,n is neutral,not needed,but handy if your wiing the unit inline and slash/squiggle is varible output

• 1 month later...

Hmm...what I need to be able to do...and I'm sure loads of other peeps too, is to have fans idling at lights off, then kick into a higher idle speed when thermostat kicks on. At no point should my fans run at max (noise and outlet constriction reasons). Any idea's on that? (2 output relay/2 dimmers and a thermostat?)

This is live only connections for preset low night fan speed controlled by the lighting timer relay, lights on will switch to higher preset fan speed.

It would be easy to adapt the circuit go to full fan speed or a third fan dimmer by adding a thermostat to override both fan dimmers as a third option to deal with high temperatures.

This is a great thread!! Just what I was looking for!!

Here is what I want to do:

I would like to have my inline fan set on two different speeds:

- idle speed so that it runs all the time to control the smell at night and when cooling is not required

- fast speed which gets triggered by a thermostat in the grow for heat exhaust.

So I guess instead of a light relay, what I want is a heat/thermostat relay.

Can this be done? Here's my grow box plan, the fan isn't drawn but it would be just between the hood and the can filter.

Thanx,

Pepe B)

the quoted post from ot1 is using TWO fan speed controllers so you can have a different slow speed for day and night.

all you need if you just want slow then fast at high temp is a thermostat and a speed controller

(i would use a variac or auto transformer as dimmer switches are actually quite bad for motors, they not only cause high slip due to low voltage running they also cause harmonics both of which cause over heating of ac motors and for capacitor run motors cause noise and vibrations, a 0.75 A variac is available from maplins for about £30 google it, this is what airforce fan controllers use)

Yeah, I already have a temperature fan controller, here it is:

http://www.midwesthydroponics.com/products.../scat_30158.jpg

And a fan speed controller (not a dimmer):

http://www.hydroempire.com/store/product_i...roducts_id/1225

And a digital timer as well:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...tegoryID=502289

As well as a 6 inch 449 CFM fan. I guess I would need one more fan speed controller if i want two speeds: idle and medium depending on heat during the day period.

But I wouldn't know how to wire all of this stuff up together to work properly.

I guess I should wire the fan to the idle speed controller. But if the heat gets above a certain level, I want to second speed controller (medium speed) to kick in. But how do I get the the temperature fan controller to switch from one speed controller to the other? I only know to plug the temperature fan controller to either on or off according to the temp.

The temperature fan controller doesn't really offer the option to switch from one speed controller to the other, it only has the option to turn the power on or off. How do i wire the whole thing so that the temperature fan controller switches from one speed to an other?

• 2 months later...

Another great one youve done whazzup.... its really great seeing all these you keep throwing out for us...

Im getting really interested in all this electronic stuff... I mean i like doing DIy stuff anyway and have done a few bits for my growroom following instructions, but I might buy a book on electronics for novices and a beginners kit like one of those kitchen timer or cycle timer kits or something like that and start to learn about electronics properly....

Id love to be able to make my own contoller using the remote probe thermostat module with hi/lo switching outputs and min max memory from Maplin instaed of a bought thermostat.... It would have that modules hi output switching between selected(variac/stepped) and full speed, and have a 24hour timer and a cyclestat circuit built in -the 24hour timer switching the whole system over from constant mode to cycling mode via a relay - ie the timer is set so that when the lights are on, the system runs constantly, the speed being controlled and switching to high when the temp rises. The 24hour timer(set to coincide with the lighting controller) switches over to cycling mode-ie running 1 minute every 6 minutes for example or whatever is the ideal. Being able to run it for cycles instead of being limited to the mechanical timer increments or unreliable digital timer that may not have enough settings anyway means you can have the ventilation off most of the time during dark period, but still not have stale/excessively humid air, obviously that depends on ur rooms size and conditions.

That Would be My ideal ventilation control system, -close climate control when the lights are on-but allows the fans only to be on just enough to keep the air fresh when they off -thats good if ur somewhere where noise from fans running late at night could get you busted, -my logic being the less time it spends running at night when theres no traffic and street noise to drown it out the less chance of someone hearing it. So better for it to be only on just enough to keep the conditions good.

anway nice work whazzup....you keep putting em out dont you, :) the growshops are tembling in fear

ill be using that finder relay you recmmended for my atc/5step setup.... my last post was just me throwing an idea around....

So u got an atc8oo huh.... I was super pissed when i saw they were outta stock... Im planning to get 2, and use one to contol my tank temps....

I look forward to seeing the 3step/atc unit you make

Edited by growguy yorks