Thermostat To Override A Fan Controller

oldtimer1

Relay and base came today. Hopefully will have a go at hooking it up later. Just a quick question, is it ok to use 3A 3core cable for my fan? (safety first)

Edited by OCC

• 2 weeks later...

right if i got a had a cintactor with a co2 unit in one side and this fanspeed controler insteda of lights on the other would it work ok, with co2 first coming on 1hr after lights then releasing enough for the room then 10-15min later fans come on for 15min the nswitch off and enough co2 relesed and repeated until lights off,

would this work ? to control enviroment and co2.

can't quite understand bren, my relay works a treat and everything is working now, I also got an enclosed waterproof electrical box to put everything in, along with cable glands etc.

Just waiting till i feel a bit more awake till I do it all, been really busy with rl shit.

I was reading it's ok to use 3A cable for the fans, only reason I was asking was because of the inductive(sp?) load.

:wassnnme:

Guest Bluntdawg

If you wanna save yourself the bother of making 1 of these look for a seller called sparky4uquads on ebay. He knocks these together for a reasonable price. I paid just under £60 for a humid/thermostat with day & night settings & a 4 gang socket.

Guest Bluntdawg

Turned up today.My dads a sparky so im gonna show him this to see if he can knock a couple together for my homies & shit. Well worth 60 notes & i didnt av to get my hands dirty. If i leave feedback i also get 12 months warranty. Put that in ya pipe & smoke it. :blub:

The box on top is the dial to set the humidity & the digital box is to set the temps. Sweet as a nut m8. sweet as a nut. :smug:

post-11600-1142964209_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice thread oldtimer1, thinking along the same lines as yourself here's a post I put in earlier this year :yahoo:

This picture shows an evitomental control board for a 21 light set up.

All 21 lights are controled on a single time clock (5) and switched via 2No. 4pole 25Amp contactors (2).

The intake and extract fans are controled by a thermostat (9). When the temp reaches 25C and above the fans run via a contactor (1) at 100%. When the temp drops below 80F the fans are swithed to another cotactor (7) and this in turn can be adjusted from 80% to 20% depending on the outside temp via a speed controler (4).

When the lights are off the intake and extract run on 20% and the heater circuit is then enabled. This again is set at 21C via a thermostat (6) and switches 2No. 3Kw via a contactor (8). So that the system doesn't overload, a photocell was added (10). This stops the lights and heaters running at the same time.

The whole system is fed on 25mm / 100Amp cable (11) direct from the mains and is distributed via a standard consumer unit (3).

All these parts were obtained from a local electrical wholesaler for under £300 apart from the speed controler which was supplied with the extract system.

Hope you find this intresting

Love

Arthur Lee

post-11247-1144680505_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

that is very very nice mr lee, i think i might be making a smaller version later in the yr.... wont be as sexy as yours tho....very nice indeed

jez

Guest monkeemagik

thats awesome lee thats the best enviro controller i have ever seen - real tidy professional looking as well.....

do you have any further info you could share on how to make one i would love to ditch mine for the same as yours.

regards

monkee

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry to get this thread back alive but I have a problem. Below is a picture of a thermostat i found lying around the house, I want to wire it to a DC powered PC fan, any ideas guys?

Thanks a lot

Owain

post-13087-1145559257_thumb.jpg

Wow Mr Lee! I too am deeply impressed! Please, please furnish us with a wiring diagram and perhaps a list of suppliers! It makes my hotch potch of fans, timers, contacters and heaters look a bit pale (and rather frightening!). :unsure:

• 1 month later...

HI GUYS

HOPE U DONT MIND ME JUMPIN IN. ALL THIS WIRIN AN ELECTRICAL IS GIVIN ME A SORE HEAD, IVE JUS BOUGHT A SUNBEAM TEMP/FAN CONTROLLER(SEE BELOW). BUT IT ONLY TURNS FAN ON WHEN THE TEMP HITS A CERTAIN LEVEL,ALSO I DONT KNO AT WHAT SPEED. BUT I NEED THE FAN ON CONSTANT FOR MY CARBON FILTER 2 WORK. I ALREADY HAV A FAN SPEED CONTROLLER SET AT LOW SPEED 2 KEEP NOISE DOWN AN WOZ WONDERIN IF I CLD USE BOTH TOGETHER, ANY IDEAS?

MUCH APPRECIATED

FRAZZY

http://www.blunt.co.uk/hydroponics-shop-uk...trol/index.html

Hi

I'm using this diagram kindly provided by OT1 to build my fan control but I'm wiring up an intake aswell as an exhaust. I'm not sure whether I need to wire both fans directly into the thermostat, or use some sort of a splitter on the cable coming from the thermostat going into both fans.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BL

post-4279-1150113257_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Thanks for your reply.

I've just realised I have two fan speed controllers already running my fan, so do i just need a crossover relay as the light relay in the diagram is the timer, is that that right?

yep - Maplin will have the relay.- but what you could do is buy a room thermostat instead.