Monster outdoor strains

Crow River

In another thread I shared a few thoughts, including this one:

So I'm looking at growing a couple, or maybe up to four, absolutely ginormous plants. As big as possible. No topping or training, just letting nature take her course. They might need a bit of extra support during flower, but otherwise I aim to keep the interventions minimal.

Having done a bit of reading around suitable strains, I tried to match that to what I have in the seed collection. Came up with the following as candidates for growing huge trees.

Chelato (4kali)

Frisian Dew (Dutch Passion)

Monk (Hybrids From Hell)

Passion #1 (Dutch Passion)

The rough plan would be to get the plants out as early as practical, to give them more time to veg outdoors with unrestricted roots.

Anything obvious I've left out of the strains list? Anyone grow any of the above outdoors, UK latitudes? I had a feeling a few folk tried Chelato this season, but I can't remember who, except @bfehillbilly.

• Like 4

Search big booty bitches or something like that if I remember right mate,member called Flintstone grew a beast few years ago  

• Like 3

Just now, stayup4ever said:

Search big booty bitches or something like that if I remember right mate,member called Flintstone grew a beast few years ago  

That sounds like a search that could get a married man some grief lol      Big booty bitches lol   

• Like 5

Establish a hardy root system indoors and plant out in June is another option to get big plants. That's what they do in oregon and california. I've done it before and got monsters in uk.

• Like 4

@stayup4ever, that thread is pure gold! :yep:

So Frisian Dew definitely FTW. Having seen some of those girls in the thread, thinking about adding some Royal Mazar to the list... :) 

@Danny killerZ in a way that's what I did this season, because I lost a plot before plant out, had to veg longer and planted out June/July. Problem was I did not have space to pot up, the girls stayed in 0.6 litre pots for a long time... A few did get quite big, around 6 feet tall, but most were 4 or 5 feet. I suppose with a focused approach and fewer plants, I could pot up so roots are not so restricted. I could also use the polytunnel as a nursery to get plants acclimatised, pot them up a bit bigger. Then the issue becomes transport: I have to climb over a wall and walk a fair way to get to the plot I'm considering using. So can't carry too much weight or height/bulk...

• Like 1

@Crow River the “Slim’s secrets’ this year showed all the hallmarks of being suited to growing monsters, albeit with support.  If I was commercially motivated, I’d be looking at running cuts of the individual I selected for re-veg, get them in end of May-ish with good spacing & ground prep, big post and pig wire ‘cage’ (for support). 

Genetics aside, assuming full sun,  it’s focusing on quantity and quality of medium that make the biggest difference to eventual size, vs planting earlier / growing indoors in pot prior etc. .   

• Like 6

@Amarillo slim, yeah reckon you're right about the medium. Plot prep probably the most important factor. Must say this year's crop did pretty well given generally poor soil and conditions. Maybe the difference there was regular feeds. I'm looking to go a bit lower maintenance next year, so will try to get the soil in better nick before plant out...

• Like 5

Okay, think I have found another monster strain in my collection. From the unforgettable KC Brains, T.N.R. (Top Nederland Ras) is an old Dutch outdoor Thai strain. Seedfinder info says it will grow up to 4 metres high! And a couple of reviews agree. So add that to the list...

That might be it now. Six strains, and space down at the bramble plot for six monster plants. One of each then. :yep:

• Like 3

Just now, murphyblue said:

Dude would defo give the Fast lemon cake a shout i wasn't the only one to gat a big girl.

I would, but I'm trying to stick to strains that I already own. I have a few RGSC strains, but alas not the FLC... It does sound awesome, but I'm trying to hold off on buying any new beans for a while (subbies excepted).

• Like 3

Just for reference, here's the monster strain list. A mix of regs and fems to keep things interesting. Subject to change between now and popping beans early next year...

Chelato (4kali) - fem

Frisian Dew (Dutch Passion) - fem

Monk (Hybrids From Hell) - reg

Passion #1 (Dutch Passion) - reg

Royal Mazar x DFG (Gnomes Seeds) - fem

TNR (KC Brains) - reg

Still open to other suggestions, but as stated above, I am trying to use seeds from my collection, not buy new. So if a strain is suggested and I have it, I'll add to the list and then make a selection...

B-list includes strains I could field, but don't currently own.

Fast Lemon Cake (Real Gorilla Seeds)

Strawberry Glue (T.H. Seeds)

• Like 2

Just now, OldFord said:

I may have some FLC in the tubs  ... will double check mucker :yep:

Mate, that wasn't an appeal for seeds! lol I'm just trying to cut down on my seed buying/acquiring habit, and use up some of the ones I already own... :) 

That said, if next season's monster mash works out, it could become a regular thing... ;) 

• Like 2