First attempt in 10 years

Shaunx

Meanwhile, out in the greenhouse, the 2 evacuees seem to be doing ok..

White Widow..

large.IMG_0600.jpg

Though no sign of flowering yet.

large.IMG_0601.jpg

The second Fast Eddy is somewhat slimmer than her sister..

large.IMG_0598.jpg

..but definitely started flowering

large.IMG_0595.jpg

Interestingly (for me at least), all 3 of them were germinated at the same time (12th June). The White Widow is of a similar size to the tented Fast Eddy but not in terms of flowering. I guess Fast Eddy is living up to her name.

The 2nd Fast Eddy seems massively stunted compared to her sister. I did treat them differently. The first went into the tent under HID light pretty much immediately it sprouted (as did the White Widow), whereas the second Fast Eddy I placed under fluorescent for about 10 days to develop some leaves before it went in the tent. I realise the 2nd went into a smaller pot, but it still never showed the early growth rate of the first. So maybe autos just do better placed straight under HID ?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Shaunx said:

My problem is that my eyesight is pants these days.

Same shit here my man :unsure: 

New glasses ?????

Pics look good :)

:hippy:

Edited by handysmoker
  • Like 3

Hey @Shumroom, Could I ask your advice on nutrients please?

The Fast Eddy auto in the tent was planted in an autopot with Plagron Light mix. I have BcuzZ soil A&B in the feed tank. It's pretty concentrated and recommends 1-1.5 ml/l for the first 4 weeks, then up it to 3-4.5ml/l. I read however that I should pretty much half that for autos. I did have about 1ml/l in the tank but I noticed some yellowing right at the very tips of some of the leaves so watered it down to about 0.6ml/l in the tank as I thought it could be nutrient burn and it hasn't got any worse after 6 days.

As she seems to be flowering nicely now though, should I be looking to raise the dose a little now ? Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

I would keep going with the level of feed she’s at just now :) 

The plant looks very happy from top to bottom,

not yellowing badly at the bottom so she’s not trying to consume herself.

You’re right that less is more when feeding autos :yep:

All of your plants are looking very good,

you seem to have green fingers.

The only thing I’d be at all concerned about is high humidity when flowering in green houses,

you might have seen a few folks on here in the last couple of weeks suffering from bits of bud rot.

If possible can you move them outside where they’ll get more air movement around the buds?

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 6
Just now, Shumroom said:

I would keep going with the level of feed she’s at just now :) 

The plant looks very happy from top to bottom,

not yellowing badly at the bottom so she’s not trying to consume herself.

You’re right that less is more when feeding autos :yep:

All of your plants are looking very good,

you seem to have green fingers.

The only thing I’d be at all concerned about is high humidity when flowering in green houses,

you might have seen a few folks on here in the last couple of weeks suffering from bits of bud rot.

If possible can you move them outside where they’ll get more air movement around the buds?

Atb

Thank mate, much appreciated. I'll stick with the current level.

There's some space next to the greenhouse which I guess I could move them out to. I'll need some hose extenson so may take a few days. I guess a concern might be that they were raised without wind so might struggle if it gets up

Just enjoying your "My first grow diary" thread. Some brilliant photos and tips there. I do like your homemade CO2 generator idea. I actually have a 500g pack of Fermipan Instant Red Dried Yeast, which is amazing for bread, but I've no chance of getting through all that while it's still active so may have a go at repurposing it at some point.

Thanks again.

• Like 4

No massive rush.

It's nice to know that your finding bits of interest in my ramblings :) 

I don't top up the sugar bottles anymore since I upgraded my extraction in my Bloom-room,

but they definitely helped when it was just an enclosed space :yep:

Atb

• Like 4
On 14/07/2023 at 3:18 PM, Military Grade said:

Hard water is fine as long you fix the Calcium to Magnesium ratio. I live in the hardest water area of the UK.

What most people find is their hard water has loads of Calcium but very little Magnesium, so a little bit of Magnesium needs to be added to give you a 3:1 ratio of Calcium/Magnesium.

Growers ark do water testing so you can fine tune it. I've been winging it by adding a tiny bit of Epsom salt every feed and seems to do the trick.

We live in a really hard water area, too..possibly not as bad as yours, as my mate lives in a really hard water area-the fields are full of 'sandstones'.

...Years ago I didn't Ph water or Ec and fed the plants tomato food for flower, and did indeed get a Magnesium deficiency one summer, about a week or so into flower If I remember- It was textbooks in those days, looking up symptoms for actual tomatoes- and Epsom Salts saved the day. {Can't remember now at what ratio}.

I never knew it could be related to calcium in the tap water. :wacko: Every day a schoolday!
Just EC'd tap water...0.3 {blinks between 0.2/0.4

Edited by Oakapple
EC reading.
  • Like 3

Your plants are looking good from here Shaun, good job so far! Shumroom has your back by the sounds of it, he will see you right I'm sure.

I reckon you're spot on regarding the smaller fast eddy. Small pot and lower strength light to start will do that to an auto. They need the best from the start of theyll stunt and there's not much you can do about it. It's theain reason they are not really recommended for beginners round these parts. Treat them right though and they'll reward you. As your indoor one is proving. The outdoor widow is coming along great too.

• Like 4

These yellowing leaves at the bottom of the plant are normally due to either not getting enough light,

or is a little deficient in Nitrogen.

Although it’s difficult to see the True colour of the whole plant,

would it be possible for you to upload a ‘lights off photo or 2’ please ?

Also please remind me how much(ml/l) and what you’re feeding? :) 

How much are they drinking and how often are you feeding?

Atb

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

These yellowing leaves at the bottom of the plant are normally due to either not getting enough light,

or is a little deficient in Nitrogen.

Although it’s difficult to see the True colour of the whole plant,

would it be possible for you to upload a ‘lights off photo or 2’ please ?

Also please remind me how much(ml/l) and what you’re feeding? :) 

How much are they drinking and how often are you feeding?

Atb

Pictures with the light off. Not great as it's quite dark in the garage. We've been away at the weekend so only noticed the yellowing today, don't remember seeing any last week.

I'm feeding by Autopot and tank. I have approx 0.6 ml/l of BcuzZ soil A&B in the tank - it reccomends 1-1.5 first 4 weeks then 3-4.5 onwards, but kept it low as it's an auto. I'm in week 5-6 now.

It does appear to be drinking well from the tank

Thank you.

large.IMG_0313.jpeg

large.IMG_0314.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

• Like 2

So long as there hasn't been really low temps,

which is unlikely at this time of year,

then yes I'd increase the feed strength.

The reason for this is that when roots get below 20C they are less able to take up the nutrients in the compost.

But since that's unlikely(but not impossible) at this time of year,

I'd probably give them around 1.2ml/l from now on and see how they continue from then on :yep:

Unless you have evidence that the temps dropped too low,

in which case it's important to keep them up.

Atb

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

So long as there hasn't been really low temps,

which is unlikely at this time of year,

then yes I'd increase the feed strength.

The reason for this is that when roots get below 20C they are less able to take up the nutrients in the compost.

But since that's unlikely(but not impossible) at this time of year,

I'd probably give them around 1.2ml/l from now on and see how they continue from then on :yep:

Unless you have evidence that the temps dropped too low,

in which case it's important to keep them up.

Atb

Thanks @Shumroom . I have the light on all night and only off between 11am and 5pm. Just checked now (14:50) and it is actually 20 degrees in there now, but that's with the light being off since 11am. With it on it's around 25-27 degrees. Also, I have the circulation fan quite low down in the tent and I've been leaving it on with the light off. Perhaps that would be lowering the temp too. I'll move it onto the 18/6 schedule.

Actually not really sure where that fan should be. I placed it quite low in front of a mesh panel thinking it would draw fresh air in (The carbon filter is right at the top of the tent with an external inline fan extracting). Is that ok or should it be above the canopy ?

I'll up the nutrient level today as per your suggestion.

Thanks again.

Edited by Shaunx
  • Like 2

Fan placement is about trying to get some air around the buds/canopy.

If it's right in front of the grille then it'll be blowing cold air(comparatively) at the plants,

so that might not be the best idea.

Since I switched from HPS to LEDs I've had to make use of seed mats and tube heaters to keep my environment in the right ballpark.

It's definitely possible that it's been the slightly cold temps that have been responsible for the yellowing of the bottom leaves,

so going forward I'd still increase the feed as I mentioned,

plus try to keep the minimum temp up above 20C as the damp compost will usually drop a little below air temp :) 

Does your tent have any Ducting openings available ?

Atb

• Like 2