First attempt in 10 years

Shaunx

Plants often will begin to slouch as it gets to the end of a long day :) 

Have you ever seen a time lapse film of our plants growing,

including the night time with infra red images?

It's a really cool thing to see.

While it's still dark you see the leaves begin to reach up ready to receive the energy from the light source/sun.

When growing in compost I wouldn't worry about the pH too much  at all.

I wouldn't regularly use rain water though as it is deficient in some of the essential micro nutrients that will generally be found in tap water.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

Plants often will begin to slouch as it gets to the end of a long day :) 

Have you ever seen a time lapse film of our plants growing,

including the night time with infra red images?

It's a really cool thing to see.

While it's still dark you see the leaves begin to reach up ready to receive the energy from the light source/sun.

When growing in compost I wouldn't worry about the pH too much  at all.

I wouldn't regularly use rain water though as it is deficient in some of the essential micro nutrients that will generally be found in tap water.

Atb

Thanks mate. I feel a whole lot better for that !

Lights are back on now, I've just been in to see and you're spot on, the leaves have all reached up again. Phew!

Re the rain water, my problem is that the tap water is extremely hard here. We've had to install a softening system to stop everything furring up. From what I've read at least, very hard or indeed salt-softened water is not great for our plants. Is that correct ? Perhaps I should add a percentage of the hard tap water to the tank for those micro nutrients ?

Meanwhile, your earlier recommendation on growing autos in natural sunlight seems to be spot on too..

Here's the 2 I placed in the the greenhouse on Tuesday, taken immediately after taking them out of the tent..

large.IMG_0256a.jpeg

..and here they are this morning, 2 days later

large.IMG_0273b.jpeg

I'm clearly no expert but they look a lot healthier to me

Thanks again :)

• Like 4

They look really good for just 2 days difference :yep:

I'm the opposite to you on the tap water, 

mines comes in at EC 0.0 on my Bluelab truncheon :)

I'm not sure of the effect of the water softening system you have, 

is that a RO system? 

I have heard of people using some plain tap water and mixing it with RO. 

I'm not sure if that's what you should do :mashed:

Others will pop in to share their knowledge :)

Atb 

Edited by Shumroom
Spellung
  • Like 3
22 hours ago, Shaunx said:

Hello @Shumroom, Help (I think)

The leaves at the top of the plant have quite suddenly started to droop. It's on an 18/6 schedule now for a few days now, temps are varying between about 21 and 24.5 degrees, humidity between 40 and 60 percent. I still have the bulb at 400W and it's about 650mm from the canopy (pretty much as high as I can get it).

Is this normal or do I have a problem ?

Thanks in advance

large.IMG_0266.jpeg

I'm a complete novice at cannabis growing so please bear that in mind......My plants do this naturally at the end of the day. In fact they are in complete sync with some exotic chilli plants I have on the go in the greenhouse and the Afghan poppy plants outside (which close at exactly the same time as the other plants droop). Absolutely fascinating stuff. 

• Like 3
Just now, disco survivor said:

I'm a complete novice at cannabis growing so please bear that in mind......My plants do this naturally at the end of the day. In fact they are in complete sync with some exotic chilli plants I have on the go in the greenhouse and the Afghan poppy plants outside (which close at exactly the same time as the other plants droop). Absolutely fascinating stuff. 

Thanks mate. Yes, it really freaked me out until @Shumroom set me straight, and it did indeed spring back to life by the time the light came back on.

It is fascinating. I started this project thinking it would be a one off, but I'm already being drawn in and started thinking about repurposing my greenhouse for a spring grow next year  .. though I should probably wait to see how the 2 plants I moved there do first :)

• Like 4

My first time growing cannabis (although I've been growing fruit & veg for over 30 years). 

I've jumped straight in and trying various cultivating techniques at the same time. Most pleased with managing to reverse a feminised auto to produce it's own feminised seeds (treated with a homemade STS spray). I haven't used anything special for the cannabis grow, just feeding with the same liquid feed combo at the tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers - combo of Miracle Grow All purpose liquid feed and Tomorite Tomato Feed. 

• Like 2

They're fine bud, both inside and out @Shumroom won't steer you wrong...

One thing is your PH...plants take up different nutes at different points on the ph scale.

In order for them to get the best chance set ph at around 5.5 and allow it to drift up over time to around 6.2 before re-setting back to 5.5.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, stu914 said:

They're fine bud, both inside and out @Shumroom won't steer you wrong...

One thing is your PH...plants take up different nutes at different points on the ph scale.

In order for them to get the best chance set ph at around 5.5 and allow it to drift up over time to around 6.2 before re-setting back to 5.5.

Sage advice, thank you sir!

• Like 1

Hard water is fine as long you fix the Calcium to Magnesium ratio. I live in the hardest water area of the UK.

What most people find is their hard water has loads of Calcium but very little Magnesium, so a little bit of Magnesium needs to be added to give you a 3:1 ratio of Calcium/Magnesium.

Growers ark do water testing so you can fine tune it. I've been winging it by adding a tiny bit of Epsom salt every feed and seems to do the trick.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, disco survivor said:

My first time growing cannabis (although I've been growing fruit & veg for over 30 years). 

I've jumped straight in and trying various cultivating techniques at the same time. Most pleased with managing to reverse a feminised auto to produce it's own feminised seeds (treated with a homemade STS spray). I haven't used anything special for the cannabis grow, just feeding with the same liquid feed combo at the tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers - combo of Miracle Grow All purpose liquid feed and Tomorite Tomato Feed. 

That's impressive. I've been growing veg for a few years, but I'm a lazy gardener, hence the massive water tank and loads of autopots in the greenhouse. They usually churn out masses of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and aubergines with little help from me but I had other things on this year so the greenhouse was empty (luckily as it turns out). I bought BcuzZ soil A&B for this rather than my regular veg stuff, though I've only used a tiny amount to date.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

Hard water is fine as long you fix the Calcium to Magnesium ratio. I live in the hardest water area of the UK.

What most people find is their hard water has loads of Calcium but very little Magnesium, so a little bit of Magnesium needs to be added to give you a 3:1 ratio of Calcium/Magnesium.

Growers ark do water testing so you can fine tune it. I've been winging it by adding a tiny bit of Epsom salt every feed and seems to do the trick.

That's a great tip, thanks mate. Better not tell my Mrs as I already nicked all the rainwater from the water butt she uses for flowers to fill my tanks ;)

We may be in the same area. If I dig 2 feet down in the garden I hit chalk and a ridiculous amout of flint.

• Like 2

I've been struggling to get any good close-up photos of the plant while in the tent with the light on or off when the garage is too dark. I got hold of an old DSLR today so took it outside to try and get some decent ones in natural light.

Can't believe how quickly this has grown considering I only put the little seedling in the tent on 14th June.

Does this look healthy to you experts please ?

large.Capture1.JPG

large.Capture6.JPG

large.Capture2.JPG

large.Capture4.JPG

large.Capture5.JPG

• Like 7

They're looking nice, can't see anything wrong with them.:hippy:

Been having probs with getting good pics on a phone myself, been looking for a DSLR my self .... so I can feels with you. Technic I use at the moment is to take dozens of pics then choose the best ones .... one tip I can give, don't use Zoom unless you got a tripod, move camera towards the object and tuck your elbows into your chest to supply stability .... :yep:

Good luck

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, handysmoker said:

They're looking nice, can't see anything wrong with them.:hippy:

Been having probs with getting good pics on a phone myself, been looking for a DSLR my self .... so I can feels with you. Technic I use at the moment is to take dozens of pics then choose the best ones .... one tip I can give, don't use Zoom unless you got a tripod, move camera towards the object and tuck your elbows into your chest to supply stability .... :yep:

Good luck

Thanks mate. My problem is that my eyesight is pants these days. So I look through the viewfinder on the DSLR and use the manual focus to get a crisp image, but that's only crisp to me because I've focus corrected for my crap eyesight. The resulting photo is blurred ! So I have to use the auto focus, which isn't as accurate. I probably need to read the camera manual :wallbash:

• Like 1