First Grow in 23 years, Banana purple punch auto

MoT

6 hours ago, Lubdub said:

Hey @MoT welcome back to growing.

Your plant may be squat but it's got a fair few heads on there and if you continue to look after it, it'll stretch a bit more and you'll get some nice bud stalks.

I wouldn't consider deficiencies for burned tips but rather an over fert or bad watering habits maybe. 

But I've got a hunch it could be the pH adjuster fluid you're using to pH your water - you don't need to adjust pH in soil, or at least not normally.

What does your personal soil mix consist of and how often are you watering? Also, how high up is your light from the plant?

I would also suggest to fold the lip of the fabric pot down to give the plant more exposure to air. Fold it all the way down, leaving about an inch of lip above the soil.

And FWIW, I've grown a fair few fastbuds and they have been surprisingly good.

Thanks Lubdub, i guess I really should have stated my soil mix, rather than pretty much "me make soil, me make plant" lol

It's absolutely NOTHING special, eyeballed percentages, So, Around 70% Lidl multi purpose compost (40l), 15% Gro-Sure perlite and 15% washed Coco-coir + 5 mugs of fish-blood-bone, two mugs of worm castings, and two mugs of epsom salts, mixed and damped repeatedly for about six weeks (yes i'm using mugs as a measuring aid :P ) i'm sure it's of no consequence but the concoction bloody stank for around 3 weeks, which I put down to the Fish-blood-bone, now I presume its kind of a good thing, but maybe not, during the initial soil prep time I got the white fuzzy mould on it as it was in the dark, and also found that I was getting a small collection of tiny mushrooms popping up that lasted a day and then collapsed (I've taken this as actually a good sign that the soil is technically alive and well, am I wrong?) After getting the soil under light, I've had no recurrences of either, when Filled the 22l pots (I got some peppers growing too :P ) I filled the bottom 2 inchies with limestone chippings for drainage and to aid with buffering PH levels (again feel free to tell me i'm a fool and explain how it doesn't work like that if it's the case :D )

I've been using growth technologies PH down, as the water here from the tap is at 7.9 .... do I really not need to do this, i just assumed that with how out of range it is that i would be setting myself up to certainly fail.

As far as watering is concerned i've been going by the top couple inches of soil dry/weight of the container, and then gently watering in until i finally get a little runoff into the tray, and then waiting and continuing said cycle as needed

I have the lights on an 18/6 and at the moment they are around 20 inches from the top of the canopy, is that too close?

As for folding over the lip of the fabric pot, i've now done so, thank you :) 

Also nice to know that fastbuds arent awful genetics :) i will be completely honest, the price was right....

Cheers matey

Edited by MoT
3 hours ago, Shumroom said:

I agree with everything that @Lubdub has said,

except that I haven’t grown any fastbuds seeds :) 

For future diary posts it would be good if you could include how much and how often you’re watering :yep:

Atb

:yinyang:

Cheers shumroom, i've added details in reply to @Lubdub

I've been watering as and when the soil has become dry the top couple inches/ according to how heavy the container is, and watering in gently until i get a little runoff into the tray, and then allowing that runoff to be reabsorbed from the bottom, also occasionally giving a misting of water over the girl during lights out.

cheers :) 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, handysmoker said:

They're looking nice and healthy, they're young so no nutes just yet, let the plant use the soil nutes. Plants are different, they come in small and big, and autos can play on your nerves, they run on their own clock.

My 1st grow is with an auto 10wks in, and she was a slow grower in the beginning ... not now though :hippy:

Chill ....................

Thank you as well my friend, i'm probably just being mother hen which is easy to do, but it's always good to get opinions and advice when uncertain:) , if you folks had said it's basically time to start over i would have been sad, but was prepared for it :) 

55 minutes ago, MoT said:

"me make soil, me make plant" lol

Haha all good man, it's my approach lately anyways :rofl:

55 minutes ago, MoT said:

eyeballed percentages, So, Around 70% Lidl multi purpose compost (40l), 15% Gro-Sure perlite and 15% washed Coco-coir + 5 mugs of fish-blood-bone, two mugs of worm castings, and two mugs of epsom salts, mixed and damped repeatedly for about six weeks (yes i'm using mugs as a measuring aid :P ) i'm sure it's of no consequence but the concoction bloody stank for around 3 weeks, which I put down to the Fish-blood-bone, now I presume its kind of a good thing, but maybe not, during the initial soil prep time I got the white fuzzy mould on it as it was in the dark, and also found that I was getting a small collection of tiny mushrooms popping up that lasted a day and then collapsed (I've taken this as actually a good sign that the soil is technically alive and well, am I wrong?) After getting the soil under light, I've had no recurrences of either, when Filled the 22l pots (I got some peppers growing too :P ) I filled the bottom 2 inchies with limestone chippings for drainage and to aid with buffering PH levels (again feel free to tell me i'm a fool and explain how it doesn't work like that if it's the case :D )

Your mix sounds solid and it sat for a good bit so I doubt it would have been too hot for the plant, and if it were then the signs would have appeared sooner I think.
The white fuzz and mushrooms are definitely signs of a living soil and nothing to worry about, I wish I had some in my mix when I was damping it :) I would have put more worm castings though, like 5x more at least. 

I am going to question your decision on the limestone clippings at the bottom though :P You've got aeration in your mix, limestone clippings probably not necessary for that and is also taking up valuable pot real estate where soil could go.
Also,its not doing much for the soil pH as its at the bottom so the water has already run through the soil before it gets to it? Just my stoner analysis

59 minutes ago, MoT said:

I've been using growth technologies PH down, as the water here from the tap is at 7.9 .... do I really not need to do this, i just assumed that with how out of range it is that i would be setting myself up to certainly fail.

I suspect here is where your issue starts. Your living soil would buffer the pH of that water without worry. For good measure you could add some gypsum as a backup. There is a chance your limestone clippings are regulating pH as well. So I'd water with plain water regardless. My tap water is 8.6 on a good day, and I've gone through the same thought processes as yourself.

59 minutes ago, MoT said:

As far as watering is concerned i've been going by the top couple inches of soil dry/weight of the container, and then gently watering in until i finally get a little runoff into the tray, and then waiting and continuing said cycle as needed

I have the lights on an 18/6 and at the moment they are around 20 inches from the top of the canopy, is that too close?

So being a living soil in a 22l pot, you'd want to keep those microbes alive and healthy. The only way that's going to happen is if the soil stays somewhat moist. Wet/Dry cycle on living soil will throw things off and in larger pots will eventually lead to whole patches of soil that are just bone dry.
I follow this guide give or take a percentage:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wjW4pZIJ5yw

I suspect you will be watering 5-10 percent every other day, but its really up to you to find that balance for your own environment.

Light distance is good maybe a bit intense if its 2x100? So 200w? Maybe best 150w and crank it up to 200 when the buds are through.

Are you planning to top dress your way through this grow?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MoT said:

Cheers shumroom, i've added details in reply to @Lubdub

No worries friend,

we’re mostly here to help each other out :yep:

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Lubdub said:

Haha all good man, it's my approach lately anyways :rofl:

Your mix sounds solid and it sat for a good bit so I doubt it would have been too hot for the plant, and if it were then the signs would have appeared sooner I think.
The white fuzz and mushrooms are definitely signs of a living soil and nothing to worry about, I wish I had some in my mix when I was damping it :) I would have put more worm castings though, like 5x more at least. 

I am going to question your decision on the limestone clippings at the bottom though :P You've got aeration in your mix, limestone clippings probably not necessary for that and is also taking up valuable pot real estate where soil could go.
Also,its not doing much for the soil pH as its at the bottom so the water has already run through the soil before it gets to it? Just my stoner analysis

I suspect here is where your issue starts. Your living soil would buffer the pH of that water without worry. For good measure you could add some gypsum as a backup. There is a chance your limestone clippings are regulating pH as well. So I'd water with plain water regardless. My tap water is 8.6 on a good day, and I've gone through the same thought processes as yourself.

So being a living soil in a 22l pot, you'd want to keep those microbes alive and healthy. The only way that's going to happen is if the soil stays somewhat moist. Wet/Dry cycle on living soil will throw things off and in larger pots will eventually lead to whole patches of soil that are just bone dry.
I follow this guide give or take a percentage:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wjW4pZIJ5yw

I suspect you will be watering 5-10 percent every other day, but its really up to you to find that balance for your own environment.

Light distance is good maybe a bit intense if its 2x100? So 200w? Maybe best 150w and crank it up to 200 when the buds are through.

Are you planning to top dress your way through this grow?

I'm actually shocked that I'm not being completely idiotic with my choices, i'm so out of touch with modern growing and have really been trying to catch myself up without going overboard and  spending money for moneys sake , the PH regulating liquids annoyed me if i'm totally honest, they aren't cheap, i know how to do that with household items, but you then add a bunch of other "things" to the soil 

Adding "stone" to the bottom of the pot is just.....yeah, my grandparents taught me that...,i only picked up the limestone vs normal pebbles as a pre-emptive for possible PH issues, and drainage.. they wouldn't have known what the hell perlite was! :D  i'm hoping my thought process actually makes sense in the end, i get where you are coming from as that being the final  point of release from the pots it won't be as effective at all as it could,

I wasn't intending to top dress, i guess you realise i sort of used to know what i'm doing (well i did :D kind of  ) my intention was to use a mix of minor cal-mag and the all so amazingly  high quality DOFF organic tomato feed lol  4-2-6 and then later on  find something with even less nitro, and more pot and phos, i'm being a cheapskate, its nice to have a girly to take care of, literally i was just going to supplement nutes in a couple weeks time, and it would have been without even testing if i should :D 

Crazy isn't it, how you can get so caught up on things that possibly don't even have an effect on ye......(i was really annoyed about those shrooms until I thought deeper, but i still wasn't happy)

So it is certainly better for me to keep a constant "dampness" then to the soil ? in the aid of promoting the fungal/microbial growth?  it's actually made me smile slightly that my pre mix may have been decentish, (i hold my hand's up and say i thought of it as basic garbage) it had a job to do *shrug* don't keep it like a swamp, but keep it like a peat bog(you know what i mean ;) )?

Everything i see seems to bang on about nute lockouts and  ph levels, especially with autos

i can't adjust the lights other than moving up and down from canopy :D , no controllers, seriously , this is some old skool silliness with help from you guys :D (no i'm not 60 or 70, stop that) 

my next step is getting an extract and filter, some people eh...lol i've got fans but none of the fun stuff any more 

Thank you on the link regarding living soil, i'm sure i sound like such a fool, but it's really REALLY chuffed me that my chosen mix is actually kind

of good :)

Edited by MoT
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Clubs said:

5 mugs of fbb in a 22L pot? Or did I misunderstand this? Sound excessive :unsure:.  I only use a few handfulls in a 160L planter. 

5 mugs to around 52-55 l of total medium, they aren't sports direct mugs either :D , the reason I let it sit and cook for a while.  I've got it in my head that FBB is slow release or have I messed up :/ ?

And just got a very reasonable deal on a fan and carbon filter, no doubt it will be louder than i would like, and may well need a little tlc and maintenance but those are well within my abilities :) , will get a few photos up shortly showing barely any updates, but it makes me happy :)

Just seen your diary mate,   just jumping in to say Hi & all the best with being back in the saddle mucker :yep:     Like riding a bike :george:    

Im strictly outdoors but always having a nosey at the indoors dark arts guys lol      All the best with them mate.    

Autos from my experience seem to thrive given the less is more treatment til they get into their groove ,  then you can  play away :yep:    Not a fragile as people suggest !   

Can produce awesome plants and end product and i  happily run them.     

The very best with them mate

• Like 5
On 23/06/2023 at 4:41 AM, MoT said:

So it is certainly better for me to keep a constant "dampness" then to the soil ? in the aid of promoting the fungal/microbial growth?  it's actually made me smile slightly that my pre mix may have been decentish, (i hold my hand's up and say i thought of it as basic garbage) it had a job to do *shrug* don't keep it like a swamp, but keep it like a peat bog(you know what i mean ;) )?

Yeh I think the mix should be fine. The 5 mugs of fbb did stick out to me but the 6 week sit time and the lack of any other dry amendments made me think that it should be fine. It is slow release but doesn't mean you can't over do it, but I think you're okay regardless.

Regarding the watering, the idea is to keep the soil moist so the microbial life stays healthy. That in turn will help them feed off all the good stuff in the soil and deliver it to the plants. Less microbial life, less transfer of those slow release goods to the plants.

Questions haven't been annoying mate, as Shumroom says, we're mostly here to help each other. :)

• Like 3
15 hours ago, OldFord said:

Just seen your diary mate,   just jumping in to say Hi & all the best with being back in the saddle mucker :yep:     Like riding a bike :george:    

Im strictly outdoors but always having a nosey at the indoors dark arts guys lol      All the best with them mate.    

Autos from my experience seem to thrive given the less is more treatment til they get into their groove ,  then you can  play away :yep:    Not a fragile as people suggest !   

Can produce awesome plants and end product and i  happily run them.     

The very best with them mate

Cheers buddy :)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Lubdub said:

Yeh I think the mix should be fine. The 5 mugs of fbb did stick out to me but the 6 week sit time and the lack of any other dry amendments made me think that it should be fine. It is slow release but doesn't mean you can't over do it, but I think you're okay regardless.

Regarding the watering, the idea is to keep the soil moist so the microbial life stays healthy. That in turn will help them feed off all the good stuff in the soil and deliver it to the plants. Less microbial life, less transfer of those slow release goods to the plants.

Questions haven't been annoying mate, as Shumroom says, we're mostly here to help each other. :)

Hehe, thanks for this :)