PC gaming

Military Grade

I've just finished my own cheap build;  

RoG Strix X299 e gaming i motherboard £50 - presumed faulty but wasn't, just needed a BIOS update.  

i9 9900x £210 - secondhand. 

EVGA Geforce 1080 ti £110 - sold as faulty spares or repair, just needed a clean and re-paste. 

2 x 8gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz DDR4 £32 - secondhand. 

Corsair RM750e 750w modular 80 plus gold psu £80 - refurbished. 

Thermaltake Ceres 500 Snow ARGB tower £54 - cheap because of broken glass door.

Thermaltake TH420 + 3 ARGB fans Snow AIO liquid cooler £103 - opened but never used. 

Put a couple of Elgato 4K 60 pro cards in for streaming but already had those kicking around. 

I haven't even got to OC'ing yet but this thing's lovely. :wub:

• Like 5

Managed to get another 'faulty' GPU through that auction site, a Palit Geforce RTX 2080 ti for the very reasonable price of £100. :smug:

It was listed as 'powers up but no display, not tested any further'.

I've stripped it down to the bare card and have noticed that one of the thermal pads is missing and others look tired, which certainly won't help cooling.

Also, one of the screws which holds the X clamp in place was the wrong type of screw and not the usual sprung, sleeved/collard type screws used to mount GPU dies to coolers.

Doing this screw up tight would put more pressure on one corner and I think it was lifting the opposite corner away from the die causing another overheat issue. The thermal paste looks pretty dry too. 

Everything looks good and nothing appears to be corroded, scorched, or blistered, it doesn't smell burnt either so i'm going to clean it with iso, re-paste it and try to fire it up tomorrow.  

Fingers crossed. 🙏

Edited by Saddam
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, Saddam said:

RTX 2080 ti for the very reasonable price of £100.

Bargin 👍

Fingers crossed for your test tomorrow 🤞

• Like 2

@Saddam do you do board soldering repairs? I’ve taken off bios chips to flash them, but that’s as far as I go. It’s proper satisfying getting older stuff working again. 

• Like 2

I haven't had to attempt any GPU repairs so far but I've done USB charge port replacements on phones and tablets.

Haven't got the room to safely setup a hot air station so I just go for cards I think are more likely to be salvageable, steering clear of GPUs described with visual artifacts or are being sold by tech repair companies. If it is listed as works but shuts down after x minutes then it's probably worth a punt on a tear down, iso clean and re-paste. My last card, an EVGA Geforce gtx 1080ti cost me about 60p to repair lol  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2023 at 01:37, Saddam said:

I don't think two GPUs in one PC will ever be a thing, you'd probably need 1000w+ psu. 

Used to be quite common to have two GPU's in either SLI (Nvidia) or Crossfire (AMD) I have seen setups with 4 cards which was overkill and crap cause the drivers were crap which is in large part  why SLI and Crossfire mostly disappeared iirc cause the driver support was always shit 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McHazy said:

why SLI and Crossfire mostly disappeared iirc cause the driver support was always shit 

Werent there like only 4 games that actually supported it??

I watched this the other day while I had my tea - he puts 4 GPU in SLI in the build.

• Like 1

I shall be devoting my afternoon to: Project Zomboid.

I really like this game. It's basic graphics, but the mechanics of survival are a bastard if you don't 'turn it down' too much.

It's also nice, though, to turn off zombies and just build a garden without being incessantly pestering by the undead.

It promises nothing but death, the goal is just to drag it out.

• Like 1

@GSZZ A wee bit more than 4 I would say lol

But not a huge amount of games supported it no and the manufacturers (Nvidia and AMD) couldn't be arsed sorting the drivers properly neither 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

AMD Drivers/software have always sucked, which is a shame as they offer good price to performance hardware nowdays, but i can't live with their drivers and software.

my mate got vac banned from a AMD GPU driver update when he played CSGO, it got reversed of course but who needs to deal with that kinda school boy errors lol

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 16:42, Military Grade said:

AMD Drivers/software have always sucked

Yep they have 

I remember years ago having to use software to hack/edit AMD drivers to make a laptop with an AMD gpu work cause AMD never actually made drivers for it was a weird one like

• Like 1

Was Nvidia for years have been AMD for a while now and to be perfectly honest they've both been awesome and shit at times...

Can't remember the last time I had a driver issue on AMD, 5 years ago they were fairly common, but their drivers are pretty good nowadays. It seems like since all the console hardware went AMD the "driver" issues went away.

I think it was lazy games development personally but more likely a little from column a and a little from column b

Edited by NezA
  • Like 1