Brock's Orange Hazeberry Gum Auto - Micro stealth grow - Plant looking OK?

Hashslag

Yes - there are drainage holes across the entire bottom of the pot, so water will easily drain out if needed.

I thought perhaps cold roots could be a thing, although it is 28ºc inside the cabinet, and the thermometer is sitting at the bottom. Obviously, the roots will be cooler than that but I don't have a heat mat at present - I'm using a portable oil rad sitting on the outside, butted right up against the metal wall so the heat comes through quite nicely.

E2A - I'm also watering with collected rainwater which is kept indoors at room temp (room temp being at about 21º I guess) rather than cold water from the tap/tank or whatever. If that makes any difference.

Edited by Hashslag
  • Like 1

@Hashslag

It makes a BIG difference. If the water you use goes into the pot, at 21c as you say, it wont be long before that water goes cold. The roots need to be warm, 24c warm. Get a heat mat, preferably with a probe (though not really necessary) and then see what happens. Cold roots will not take up nutrients and will not grow. Get rid of the oil rad and get a heat mat and a tube heater inside. It will save you on the electricity and may improve your growing. Rainwater isn't necessary either. Tepid tap water is fine

• Like 3

@Shumroom well, it's free for a start, we had loads of rain here and loads collected in our garden so I just decided to make use of it... and surely rain water is better for plants than the council juice we get from the tap? Is that not the case?

@Larry Badgeley I will get around to sorting out a heat mat and maybe a small tube heater if I can get one that will fit. I'm broke now though with unpaid bills taking priority sadly. Can I ask though, if the water goes into the soil at 21º (in theory), and the pot is in an environment of 28º, why would that water get colder?

• Like 1

Unless there’s a known problem with your tap water I’d use that :yep:

Rain water doesn’t contain some of the elements that you’ll normally find in council juice :) 

Water that collected in a reservoir is usually a combination of rain water and water that has filtered through rocks etc.

This water will pick up small amounts of essential micro nutrients,

such as Molybdenum and Iron etc,

as well good old Calcium and Magnesium that we’re always taking about :D 

Have a look online for your water supplier,

see if you can find out the Calcium and Magnesium levels ;) 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Well, we are in a hard water area so unsure whether it would cause any issues, do you mean then that the rain water won't have the stuff in it that the plant needs? I always thought that rain water was the best stuff for plants, you know, it's rain lol I was a bit concerned that the tap water would have too much dodgy chemicals and stuff in it.

E2A - here is my local water info. I haven't got a clue what it means.

large.642d8be20452d_Screenshot2023-04-05at15_45_18.png

Edited by Hashslag

I recognise that report template, must be near me:ninja:lol

Your calcium is average 326mg/l however Magnesium only at 4.3mg/l. thats a ratio of 75:1 cal:mag when it should be 3:1.

im in coco so no help to you, but i use Growers ark hardwater nutes. i had my water tested by them and they recomended adding 0.15g/l of epsom salt to my water to bring the ratio into line.

The droop isnt magnesium related. You dont have magnesium defficiency yet but you will do in the future when they are bigger, took me awhile to work out Magnesium was my issue.

• Like 2
Just now, Hashslag said:

@Bobcharlieeeee I mean, I'm not using my local tap water at the moment anyway (using rain water) so I have no idea what that will contain and in which levels! Oh god, so many bastard variables!

Rainwater you might have to add calmag

1 hour ago, Hashslag said:

Can I ask though, if the water goes into the soil at 21º (in theory), and the pot is in an environment of 28º, why would that water get colder?

Heat rises. The water you are adding is going into a pot of compost. The roots will enjoy the water of course, however after a few hours the water will go cold and then you will have issues. If you don't believe me then have a good look in the problems section and see how many times cold roots/Poor plants crop up. 

• Like 5
41 minutes ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

I recognise that report template, must be near me:ninja:lol

Your calcium is average 326mg/l however Magnesium only at 4.3mg/l. thats a ratio of 75:1 cal:mag when it should be 3:1.

I had my water tested by them and they recomended adding 0.15g/l of epsom salt to my water to bring the ratio into line.

The droop isnt magnesium related. You dont have magnesium defficiency yet but you will do in the future when they are bigger, took me awhile to work out Magnesium was my issue.

This is the recommended course of action for you @Hashslag :yep:

Approx equates to one teaspoon of Epsom salts per 3l of tap water.

The thing about plants in the ground getting just rainwater,

they are growing in a probably very decent bit of composted plant matter which has built up over time.

Their roots aren't limited to just being in the pot of mixed stuff you're giving them ;) 

Atb

• Like 4

Just to add here, checking on her again tonight, definite improvement from yesterday. Not sure if it's the additional water or what, but leaves do look a little perkier to me. I've noticed some burning to the tip of at least one leaf, looks like nutrient burn, possibly the soil was too hot... I'll keep an eye on things.

• Like 1