Gorilla Garden Bakery 23

latitude54

4 hours ago, latitude54 said:

There seems to be a good bit of activity around the barns on the other side of the field at the moment but hopefully once that dies down I'll be a bit more confident in letting the girls sunbathe properly. 

Just been speaking to the farmer that owns most of the land around me and got some great news. The labourers that have been working on his barns have finished today so won’t be back!! That means my girls can get out in the sunshine (in fact they already are)! 

• Like 4

Sorry to hear this dude.. Complete incompetent fucking wankers!! 

But as @paniksaid its not to late.. And snap some of my late plant outs have done best!!

just play it safe and get them away from the house as everyone is saying. 

:yinyang:

• Like 4

I received a nice surprise in the post on Thursday. 2 packs of seeds from @panik! In the packs were Super#61 and Auto Wedding Cake. I've already got some Super#61 wet and can't wait to see them grow over the summer. Thank you so much for the gift buddy. It's very kind of you. :yep:

• Like 5

19th June:

Time for a quick update I think...

Since my last update, the girls have been living quite happily in the garden, only going inside when it rained last night. 

I decided to reduce the nutes I was feeding them as I'd noticed a number of slightly brown and burnt spots lower down on one or two plants which I feel might be due to water evaporating very quickly in this heat, leaving a build up of excess nutrients in the soil. I'd reduced from 3ml per litre to 2ml per litre ( a difference of 5ml per feed ). Since doing so, there have been no new brown spots so fingers crossed I got it. 

Lemon Cake:

She's very quickly growing into a monster and is now up to my chin. Sadly she's not been able to support the weight of her lowest branches and both have snapped at the main stem. They haven't come away from the plant completely (maybe 50%) so They've been taped back up in the hope they can survive. 

large_lc1.jpglarge_lc2.jpg

Pink Cherry Pie:

The plant that got dry and crispy seems to have bounced back really well, however there's a noticeable height difference between the 2 PCPs now which I think is probably due to the stress that was caused. None the less they seem to be going really well.

I have had to do a little bit of defoliation round the base of each plant as I cant get in there to see what I'm watering. lol 

large_pcp1.jpglarge_pcp2.jpg

• Like 10

Looking good dude, might be a plan to pot them up if you can. Will be a ball ache but much better than struggling to keep them watered once they've outgrown their pot.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

might be a plan to pot them up if you can. 

They’re already in 30L pots. Not sure I can go any bigger. 

• Like 2

Yeah I remember you've got mobility issues so might be quite difficult to get it done, but at the rate they're growing I reckon they could happily root out a 70L, maybe even bigger than that. I would expect them to double in size by the time they're in full flower by which time the root balls will be really struggling to keep the whole plant fed. Maybe put them on trolley's or something so you can wheel them about easier? Or keep them in the existing pots and get some sort of automated watering system for them (although that would make it hard to move them around). 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I would expect them to double in size by the time they're in full flower by which time the root balls will be really struggling to keep the whole plant fed

FUUUUCK! That's bigger than the poly tunnel. lol 

• Like 3

Been shopping this afternoon and picked up some 50L pots. I was contemplating 70L but the shop didn’t have any so the girls will just have to make do with these. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, latitude54 said:

FUUUUCK! That's bigger than the poly tunnel. lol 

On the up side, if they're too big to fit in the tunnel, then it solves the issue of having to move them lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

On the up side…

This is very true. Although I’m not keen on my babies being subjected to the October weather. lol 

• Like 1

28th June: 

The plants got potted up into 50L pots last week and that's as far as they're going as I can only just move them around. Once I've watered the plants, they've pretty much just got to stay where they are for 12 hours as I cant even drag them. lol 

During the potting up process, the Lemon Cake branch that was held on with tape broke off completely, as did a lower branch from one of the PCPs. Not wanting to lose them, I cut the stems at a 45º angle and popped them in a vase of water while I looked into rooting, cloning etc..  A few days later I'd split the branches down into 4 cuttings and was playing with a bottle of clonex. With the cuttings going straight into soil and them being quite tall, I didn't see much point investing in propagation gear. Instead I've put them in the polly tunnel where its naturally pretty humid and have been folia feeding them daily. 3 days later and they seem to be holding their own and are starting to perk up. 

Another change to the polly tunnel has been the introduction of a 50L bin for water and nutes. With 3 x 50L, 1 x30L plus seedlings and cuttings, it's getting difficult storing enough 5L bottles of water and then accurately mixing nutes in the correct quantities. Now I'm able to fill the bin the day before feeding, then mix the nutes in and water all of the plants in one go. 

The plants:

All of the plants have shown sex now ( no surprise they're all females ). 

Lemon Cake :~ 

She's an absolute monster and is now only a few cm off the top of the polly tunnel! I'm going to have to top her again but I doubt that'll be particularly effective at this point. lol 

large_lc1.jpglarge_lc2.jpg

Pink Cherry Pie :~

These are getting big too!.. Although in a very dense bushy kind of way. 

large_pcp1.jpglarge_pcp2.jpglarge.pcpc1.jpglarge.pcpc2.jpg

Super#61 :~

New to the garden this week is the Super#61. I germinated and then planted 2 seeds a week ago, however, only one has poked its head above soil so I will have to be happy with that for the time being.  

large_s61.jpg

Edited by latitude54
  • Like 9

Wowee look at those trees, they're going to get huuuuuge dude, might be hard to manage them but it'll be worth it in the end, if your worried and the FLC you could probably multi top it (remove the top shoot from each main branch) it will slow her down for a week and then make her bush out like crazy so hopefully won't get too much taller. You'll probably need to thin her out at some point, but leave that until later on so it doesn't encourage more upward growth. 

Iirc my super 61s took a fair while to pop last year, so you might still get lucky with the 2nd one. 

• Like 3

The lemon cake is a right knobhead! Went into the poly tunnel yesterday to find another branch had fallen off (that's 3 now). It's almost like they're not able to support their own weight. Needless to say, it gives me the opportunity for a bit more practice at making clones. lol I think she's going to have to become an 100% outside girl as the poly tunnel isn't tall enough or wide enough to contain her.  

• Like 3

All looking top class mate  :george:      The quality / health just jumps out at you :yep:      Tunnels and veg just go hand in hand !!!

The Lemons prob struggling as the laterals are heavy but sadly vegging in a tunnel has reduced aitflow hence the laterals dont really build up strength !     

Your going to have to tie her up or risk breaking all the lats when they fill up ....and look back at my run last year .... even the little plants had huge buds lol     

The large one the buds were huge , pretty dense and heavy !     A few wks vegging in the fresh air may help add strength to the lats but im guessing your better of with twine and save breaks.  

Other than that the grow is just banging mate !!!       The PCP is a beast !     Going to be some nice flower show soon enough :yep:

• Like 3