Hole In The Clouds RGS diary 23

Hole in the clouds

large.20A91567-11F7-406C-A5C2-8E417199FEC4.jpegYes I have watched the RGS YouTube videos too many times! lol bye bye tin snips hello efficiency! :) 

• Like 5

large.B602F669-85AF-4C50-B0DE-DF782CAFE4D5.pngThis is about as much as it will hold until I extend the membrane up the gulley you can see at bottom of picture. I may have gone a bit OTT on size I don’t know. I didn’t envisage it being this big but hopefully I won’t be lugging any water here. Need to add more moss around the sides to camouflage it a bit more but it will be well hidden anyway once spring kicks in. 

• Like 6

I’ve got myself a bigger 100ltr rucksack so last trip I managed to transport 50l of compost, 40L coco, worm castings plus amendments bit heavy but double what I can normally carry. 
I’ve dug a couple more holes at main plot put in amendments with compost and coco I still got a little bit to do there but it’s looking good.  

I’m a bit worried as a couple of the new holes I’d dug and added amendments couple weeks ago had become waterlogged and were a bit mouldy and sludgy. I hadn’t put any compost or coco in these just dug them over and removed rocks. I’ve added some perlite to bottom of holes and then a load of coco to these to hopefully fluff it up and remedy it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hole in the clouds said:

large.B602F669-85AF-4C50-B0DE-DF782CAFE4D5.pngThis is about as much as it will hold until I extend the membrane up the gulley you can see at bottom of picture. I may have gone a bit OTT on size I don’t know. I didn’t envisage it being this big but hopefully I won’t be lugging any water here. Need to add more moss around the sides to camouflage it a bit more but it will be well hidden anyway once spring kicks in. 

You can never have a big enough water source on your plot in my opinion. Keep up the hard work mate!

• Like 4

@Underdog well that’s what I thought I did most of it on a very wet and stoned day and just kept going in my own little world I think lol I plan to extend the membrane uphill up the gulley that feeds into it by about 6m eventually so will have a big catchment area for summer showers. :) 

• Like 3

On 07/04/2023 at 9:25 AM, Hole in the clouds said:

large.20A91567-11F7-406C-A5C2-8E417199FEC4.jpegYes I have watched the RGS YouTube videos too many times! lol bye bye tin snips hello efficiency! :) 

:punk:

you need the thin cutting discs you can buy a tin with like 10 replacements in :yep: 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, panik said:

:punk:

you need the thin cutting discs you can buy a tin with like 10 replacements in :yep: 

I personally bring my battery powered Dremel on site haha

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Haven’t been to plot for a while. Need some more cover. Can’t say too much but the activity in the area has increased so I’m giving the undergrowth a chance to spring up. 

• Like 4

Created two of these beds to put the autos in. I’ll stick some coco in there soon.large.D4B1213F-280F-45D7-BA01-A84CB859E85B.png

• Like 3

That’s a nice looking pond! Give critter a way in and out and you’ll probably have frogs and newts living there lol

10 hours ago, Dreamer420 said:

That’s a nice looking pond! Give critter a way in and out and you’ll probably have frogs and newts living there lol

Yeah be good once it’s grown in and looks a bit more natural. The gulley running into it is nowhere near as steep as it looks in picture so that will be a good entry for wildlife with a shallow rocky ‘wildlife’ section before it overflows into main body of water. There are pondskaters on there already. There’s a few ponds near by so might transport some fauna over. Bet there be all sorts in a couple years If it doesn’t leak.

• Like 1

large.81A1D4E0-DB14-4A28-A9AD-B54D4AB20F07.png Dug a couple more holes added a load of compost to them. Will add some coco next trip.

large.9C729B5D-C14C-48EF-BF10-20B3ACCF5C40.png Added 40l of coco to this bed. I dug amendments into this back in February. So I’ve just added a bit more stuff with a load of compost and coco and dug it all over properly. Used the stones I removed to make a kind of wall/walkway as boundary on one side. This will be for Autos. 

• Like 2