Dripper system pump

Baron von greenback

11 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

id use your flood n drain system, personally, will be much less hassle

I am mate in my flower room so I need to do some sort of no soil in veg room so I can move them around

14 hours ago, Baron von greenback said:

I am mate in my flower room so I need to do some sort of no soil in veg room so I can move them around

what’s your final medium choice when they go into the IWS?

is it hydroton with rockwool?

if so and your IWS is large enough I’ve kept 3x3 grodan cubes hand watered daily until I was ready for them to move to a hydro system. 

if you can fit 3x3 or 6x6 grodan cubes in your final IWS I would just consider hand feeding the cubes. 

You could if you wanted to then flood the tray they are sitting in and allow them to soak up (wick) the solution during veg cutting down how much additional equipment you need for veg. 

Edited by JonDaMon
To add 3x3 grodan cubes

3 hours ago, JonDaMon said:

what’s your final medium choice when they go into the IWS?

is it hydroton with rockwool?

if so and your IWS is large enough I’ve kept 3x3 grodan cubes hand watered daily until I was ready for them to move to a hydro system. 

if you can fit 3x3 or 6x6 grodan cubes in your final IWS I would just consider hand feeding the cubes. 

You could if you wanted to then flood the tray they are sitting in and allow them to soak up (wick) the solution during veg cutting down how much additional equipment you need for veg. 

Clay pebbles and rock riot do you mean 9 cubes per plant I think the net pots for my iws are 8 or 10 inches that's not a bad idea mate I was going with the drip system because I got all the gear is there no stability issues with the plants sitting in them for may be 6 to 8 weeks did you train them cheers mate

42 minutes ago, Baron von greenback said:

Clay pebbles and rock riot do you mean 9 cubes per plant I think the net pots for my iws are 8 or 10 inches that's not a bad idea mate I was going with the drip system because I got all the gear is there no stability issues with the plants sitting in them for may be 6 to 8 weeks did you train them cheers mate

depends entirely on how quick/slow they are using the solution from the grodan cube they’re in. 

I was hand feeding 3inch x 3inch rockwool blocks before they went into my Wilma system which was about 6 weeks veg but only under a 200w CFL at the time not a HID or high power LED then they went under a 600w HPS to flower. 

It’s about trial an error a little bit with rockwool cubes doing hand feeding. The lower the temp the slower they dry out, the higher the temp the quicker they dry out. 

I don’t mean 9 cubes per plant.

They were grodan rockwool cubes 3”x3” or 6”x6”. 

I would flood the tray they were in, allow them to soak up solution for about 5mins and then drain off by removing the plug I fitted to the tray which ran off to a catch pan. 

Grodan (rockwool) cubes will air prune roots. 

Edited by JonDaMon
E2A Air pruning

49 minutes ago, JonDaMon said:

depends entirely on how quick/slow they are using the solution from the grodan cube they’re in. 

I was hand feeding 3inch x 3inch rockwool blocks before they went into my Wilma system which was about 6 weeks veg but only under a 200w CFL at the time not a HID or high power LED then they went under a 600w HPS to flower. 

It’s about trial an error a little bit with rockwool cubes doing hand feeding. The lower the temp the slower they dry out, the higher the temp the quicker they dry out. 

I don’t mean 9 cubes per plant.

They were grodan rockwool cubes 3”x3” or 6”x6”. 

I would flood the tray they were in, allow them to soak up solution for about 5mins and then drain off by removing the plug I fitted to the tray which ran off to a catch pan. 

Grodan (rockwool) cubes will air prune roots. 

Ye cheers mate heard bad things about rockwool but like you said it getting it dialled in had a moment I think 9 cubes don't know why I way I set up in a cellar it would more work and harder to do by by flooding then draining into a catch plate underneath I don't know what to do now mate

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Baron von greenback said:

Ye cheers mate heard bad things about rockwool but like you said it getting it dialled in had a moment I think 9 cubes don't know why I way I set up in a cellar it would more work and harder to do by by flooding then draining into a catch plate underneath I don't know what to do now mate

it’s whatever works for you that’s the thing. 

You could in theory fill 25 net pots with your root riot cubes and keep the cubes saturated while in veg just by hand feeding them and allow the roots to move through the 8 root riot cubes (whatever amount it takes to fill the net pots)

if you’re using root riot cubes then into hydroton I don’t see this being a problem as root riots hold a fair amount of water. 

I kept my last lot of clones in root riots from April to October under a 24w T5 while I had down time lol 

again it’s about making something work for you and so it’s easier. 

hand feeding 25 pots once a day is gonna be less head banging that trying to dial a veg feeding drip system into the mix. 

18 minutes ago, JonDaMon said:

it’s whatever works for you that’s the thing. 

You could in theory fill 25 net pots with your root riot cubes and keep the cubes saturated while in veg just by hand feeding them and allow the roots to move through the 8 root riot cubes (whatever amount it takes to fill the net pots)

if you’re using root riot cubes then into hydroton I don’t see this being a problem as root riots hold a fair amount of water. 

I kept my last lot of clones in root riots from April to October under a 24w T5 while I had down time lol 

again it’s about making something work for you and so it’s easier. 

hand feeding 25 pots once a day is gonna be less head banging that trying to dial a veg feeding drip system into the mix. 

Ye mate your probably right about hand feeding that's how I will start again I think then see how it goes it's more about having all the gear just lieing around and not using it cheers mate

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Baron von greenback said:

Ye mate your probably right about hand feeding that's how I will start again I think then see how it goes it's more about having all the gear just lieing around and not using it cheers mate

take it from a guy that’s used to thinking he has everything lying around and then when the build begins you realise shit! I need X and Y and Z to make this work. 

you buy XY and Z and then realise you also need AB and C to complete it once those parts have come lol  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JonDaMon said:

take it from a guy that’s used to thinking he has everything lying around and then when the build begins you realise shit! I need X and Y and Z to make this work. 

you buy XY and Z and then realise you also need AB and C to complete it once those parts have come lol  

Ye i know the feeling mate

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/02/2023 at 1:28 PM, JonDaMon said:

Ok mate just a quick question I was thinking about using 5 litre pots with 4 inch net pots with drip system in veg tent will probably veg for 8 weeks do you think these will do the job @JonDaMon @stu914 @ badbillybob only done 1 name don't know thanks guys

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Baron von greenback said:

Ok mate just a quick question I was thinking about using 5 litre pots with 4 inch net pots with drip system in veg tent will probably veg for 8 weeks do you think these will do the job @JonDaMon @stu914 @ badbillybob only done 1 name don't know thanks guys

It’s doable of course it is. 

it’s about keeping the saturation levels high enough in the root zone more than anything. 

by around week 5 veg you’ll probably be up to around 3 feeds per cycle using 5L pots. 

I’ve grown from seed to harvest in a 7L pot and by mid flower I was feeding 7x per 24 hours. 5x day and 2x night to keep saturation levels high enough. 

3 hours ago, JonDaMon said:

It’s doable of course it is. 

it’s about keeping the saturation levels high enough in the root zone more than anything. 

by around week 5 veg you’ll probably be up to around 3 feeds per cycle using 5L pots. 

I’ve grown from seed to harvest in a 7L pot and by mid flower I was feeding 7x per 24 hours. 5x day and 2x night to keep saturation levels high enough. 

Thanks mate good to know so they won't get root bound in the pot they have room for the 8 weeks then they going into iws pots which are a lot bigger

31 minutes ago, Baron von greenback said:

Thanks mate good to know so they won't get root bound in the pot they have room for the 8 weeks then they going into iws pots which are a lot bigger

of course the roots will fill the pots but your directly supplying the nutrients so as long as you don’t get dry back you’ll be fine. 

• Like 1