Dripper system pump

Baron von greenback

I am setting up a dripper system in my veg tent it's going to have 25 lines coming off the main 16mm tubing I have a maxi jet 100litre a min pump will this be powerful enought or I have a big aquaking pump like a sump pump I use it in my iws system or will that be too big ideas guys cheers

Use the bigger pump, a MJ1000 is ok for a short distance and a few lines. You'd be better off with the Aqua king pump, you can always add a flow control tap to alter the water flow if its a bit OTT.

• Like 3

That's what was wrong last time I think now the pump wasn't strong enough that means I need a deeper water tank as the big pump is a lot taller if I don't put a flow control tap on could it blow all the piping apart I would like to test it first before going fully in cheers

io would get a pump suited to your needs. a maxijet can do 8 flood n drain drippers at a push, and does 1000l/min, id be looki ng at a couple of hailea hs 8830, or 8840s.

i wouldnt choke them back with taps, as it puts more pressure on the pump motor.

the 8830 would "probably" do, but i dont know if you are planning like dripper rings, stakes, size of piping, layout etc. it all affects the required output of the pump

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

io would get a pump suited to your needs. a maxijet can do 8 flood n drain drippers at a push, and does 1000l/min, id be looki ng at a couple of hailea hs 8830, or 8840s.

i wouldnt choke them back with taps, as it puts more pressure on the pump motor.

the 8830 would "probably" do, but i dont know if you are planning like dripper rings, stakes, size of piping, layout etc. it all affects the required output of the pump

Ok mate cheers I will be running 16mm piping from pump up and down tent. So 6 meters then at intervals running 4mm tubing to pots was just going to let the water flow out of the piping into pot with nothing on the end i take some pics of the gear I got and the pumps etc cheers mate

you will end up with some plants getting more than others unless you use a miniford system.

and having open pipes , id go for the bigger option pump

good luck with it

12 hours ago, badbillybob said:

you will end up with some plants getting more than others unless you use a miniford system.

and having open pipes , id go for the bigger option pump

good luck with it

Ok mate here's a few pics the flarge.Screenshot_20230218_220018_Gallery.jpglarge.Screenshot_20230218_215917_Gallery.jpglarge.Screenshot_20230218_215839_Gallery.jpg

Ok @badbillybob here's a few pics the first one is pumps  the one with piping on says 200l Amin the aquaking is 7000l a min the Clarke is 253l a min which seems low or I read it wrong the second pic had the top cut off but that green bit at top is were it spilts into 4 and the green piping is what I use to go to pots and last pic is how it's going to look with my pots and everything it's 3 m up and then 3 m down plus the ends so may be 8 meters all in all  I can't move the position of the pots but everything else I could move about the pots are going to be 5litre with net pots in top what size water butt do you reckon 100litre Flexi tank so any ideas would be welcome thanks mate

@Baron von greenback

You need a complete circuit to even out the pressure so each outlet gets the same...here's my version of a manifold.

13mm pipe comes from a 1000 maxijet pump and forms a circle with 4mm feed pipes all the same length going to the pots,

open feed via 2 spouts in each pot...shorter the pipe the better, this pump handles 18 spouts with no problem...:yep:

large.SSCN1723.JPGlarge.SSCN0973.JPG

Here's another smaller version...this is a six spout system, same circuit, same pump...

large.SSCN1983.JPG

• Like 4

Ok mate cheers so you think the maxi jet I got will be strong enough then how would you do mine mate if I did a square manifold like yours at one end I have loads of piping trying to keep them the same length @stu914

• Like 1

Not sure the 1000 will handle the distance, maybe two of them in tandem or use the biggest pump you have

and put an in-line control tap to adjust the flow if it's too powerful...

I've just bought a couple and they were only three or four quid on amazon, (designed to use on garden hoses)

handy as you can shut the water off completely if needed.

Just now, stu914 said:

Not sure the 1000 will handle the distance, maybe two of them in tandem or use the biggest pump you have

and put an in-line control tap to adjust the flow if it's too powerful...

I've just bought a couple and they were only three or four quid on amazon, (designed to use on garden hoses)

handy as you can shut the water off completely if needed.

Ok mate the auqaking is 7000 liters a min so looking at the drawing I did will it work if thinner pipeing is all the same length and control tap how would you do it if not thanks

45 minutes ago, Baron von greenback said:

looking at the drawing I did will it work

no, regardless of what pump you use unless you connect the pipe back to itself to create a loop, you're going to have uneven pressure. You are one barbed 16mm tee piece and a gnats dick of pipe away from cracking it lol 

• Like 7

Maxijet 1000 is a 13mm outlet and thats quite a run with a lot of outlets, I dont think the maxijet will be up to it but I could be wrong. And as others have said you wanna join end of the 16mm pipe up to create a loop. Try to spread the outlet pipes a bit more evenly as well I reckon.

Personal preference, but I use at least 2 drippers per pot now days so if you get a blockage the affected pot will still get some water as opposed to drying out completely before you notice. Will also reduce pressure if you're using a very powerful pump

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GSZZ said:

no, regardless of what pump you use unless you connect the pipe back to itself to create a loop, you're going to have uneven pressure. You are one barbed 16mm tee piece and a gnats dick of pipe away from cracking it lol 

Cheers mate can I just run the end of the pipeing back into the water butt or does have to be connected back to the pipeing running from the pump I would have thought the water hitting each other coming from 2 directions can't be good that's why I was just going to run it straight back to water butt or have I got that totally wrong thanks