Hollands hope, frisian duck and shaman

Celtic voyager

Eveing all.

Planning on doing an outdoor grow this season, with mainly photos. 

The ones I've picked are in the above title.

Has anyone here grown these in the past, and if so, how did the do for you.

Just interested to hear others opinions on them.

• Like 2

I've grown Frisian Duck.  She finished very late, I took her down at the start of November.  She'd been in the greenhouse for a month or something by then with a 16 inch fan on her, but she still got hit by mould and I lost the best of the buds. 

She tasted interesting, but had very little bud anyway, mostly leaf.  I got about 4 Oz off her of small, loose, fluffy bud.  After a month of curing and a couple of weeks of vaping her without much satisfaction, I turned her into a Kg of canabutter as pain relief was needed.  She worked very well for that and knocked me on my arse!

Don't get me wrong, she tasted lovely (if mild) and was very light on the fragrance during growing and she looks like a raspberry bush would - so great for the camouflage, but in my Manchester garden during a so so summer, she was not the greatest producer for me. I'd love to grow her under lights to see if I could get better buds, more flavour and a better strength, but sadly I gave the two other beans to friends of mine and they didn't pop.

• Like 1

Just now, MidgeSmith said:

I've grown Frisian Duck.  She finished very late, I took her down at the start of November.  She'd been in the greenhouse for a month or something by then with a 16 inch fan on her, but she still got hit by mould and I lost the best of the buds. 

She tasted interesting, but had very little bud anyway, mostly leaf.  I got about 4 Oz off her of small, loose, fluffy bud.  After a month of curing and a couple of weeks of vaping her without much satisfaction, I turned her into a Kg of canabutter as pain relief was needed.  She worked very well for that and knocked me on my arse!

Don't get me wrong, she tasted lovely (if mild) and was very light on the fragrance during growing and she looks like a raspberry bush would - so great for the camouflage, but in my Manchester garden during a so so summer, she was not the greatest producer for me. I'd love to grow her under lights to see if I could get better buds, more flavour and a better strength, but sadly I gave the two other beans to friends of mine and they didn't pop.

Thanks for the reply midgesmith

So she didn't do to well for you.

Pity about that.

My plan is to bring her on for 3 or 4 weeks indoors, harden her off during the day's, and then straight into the ground.

Out of 3 beans, nothing great at all. 

I'll still have options yet.

• Like 2

I did more or less that.  She had a month indoors then went into an 8 gallon pot.  I think in a good year, with the right aspect, she would do a lot better than she did for me.  As I say, I'd like to see her under optimal conditions.  Like Greek summer or under lights.

• Like 1

I did more or less that.  She had a month indoors then went into an 8 gallon pot.  I think in a good year, with the right aspect, she would do a lot better than she did for me.  As I say, I'd like to see her under optimal conditions.  Like Greek summer or under lights.

Well, definitely won't be getting a Greek summer where I live lol, and I don't do anything with lights, I might give her a go yet. I still have the other two, or I might try frisan dew instead 

• Like 2

Just now, Celtic voyager said:

Well, definitely won't be getting a Greek summer where I live lol, and I don't do anything with lights, I might give her a go yet. I still have the other two, or I might try frisan dew instead 

Personally I think Frisian Dew might be a better bet if you don't need the camouflage like I do...  Saying that, there's no harm in giving her a whirl, maybe she would do a hell of a lot better under your care than she did for me.

• Like 1

Personally I think Frisian Dew might be a better bet if you don't need the camouflage like I do...  Saying that, there's no harm in giving her a whirl, maybe she would do a hell of a lot better under your care than she did for me.

She didn't stand out  at all really in your garden, well concealed. 

It could be down to a stranger summer, that she didn't go as well as you hoped. 

No fault of your own. 

Yeah, frisian dew, could be a good option, can grow to a crazy size, if not controlled. 

The reason behind the duck strain was the thc level, I'm not found of the higher levels.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Celtic voyager said:

The ones I've picked are in the above title.

Theres better types available nowadays unless your sitting on older stock, try out gorrila seeds or serious six and you wont go far wrong.

• Like 1

"The reason behind the duck strain was the thc level, I'm not found of the higher levels. "

Totally get that.  I prefer a good balance and nice effect myself.  I think the taste particularly, but the effect too, from Frisian Duck was lovely, just too mild for me and I am certainly not a THC obsessive either.  I am not in any way trying to put you off Frisian Duck, just giving you an honest account.  I have seen very a couple of growers who achieved better buds with her certainly.

One last caveat (I really sound like I am contradicting myself here) but she also needs decent support.  If you grow her, I would use a tomato cage or surround her with supports, because in the October, we had a torrential spell of rain and some light wind and it basically knocked her to her feet.  I hadn't supported her at all, so it was my fault, but I hadn't grown a plant with slim and soft stems like that and it was nearly a total disaster.

• Like 1

"The reason behind the duck strain was the thc level, I'm not found of the higher levels. "

Totally get that.  I prefer a good balance and nice effect myself.  I think the taste particularly, but the effect too, from Frisian Duck was lovely, just too mild for me and I am certainly not a THC obsessive either.  I am not in any way trying to put you off Frisian Duck, just giving you an honest account.  I have seen very a couple of growers who achieved better buds with her certainly.

One last caveat (I really sound like I am contradicting myself here) but she also needs decent support.  If you grow her, I would use a tomato cage or surround her with supports, because in the October, we had a torrential spell of rain and some light wind and it basically knocked her to her feet.  I hadn't supported her at all, so it was my fault, but I hadn't grown a plant with slim and soft stems like that and it was nearly a total disaster.

Thanks for this MidgeSmith 

This is why I asked, for good accounts of how she is. 

Great tip with tomato cage, definitely going to pick one up..

I will give her a go, and every help and support to see how she comes on, I'll probably go with a frisan dew as well, although the thc is a bit higher, and is mostly if not all indica strains I prefer. 

• Like 2

Personally I think there's waaaaay better outdoor strains available these days, I wouldn't grow Frisian again if you payed me, it finishes late, rots easily, tastes like crayons and hardly even gets you high, I can't believe crossing it to ducksfoot will have helped at all. Haven't tried the other 2 in a long time but I wouldn't be in a rush to either. 

Get yourself some Real Gorilla Seeds and Alfemco stuff, maybe some of Brock1s autos from the subbies section, they'll shit a over your original choices. Might seem like I'm just shamelessly plugging the sponsors but they're honestly the best outdoor beans available for the UK climate by a long way. 

• Like 3

Plus one on the @MindSoupadvice. A quick sneak round the sponsors sites and the subbies section will see you right. Best bit is, you'll get plenty of advice and you can see how folk have got on with them before.... I genuinely wouldn't go anywhere else

• Like 2

From the only  DP run i have done in recent years i found the Passion #1 to be very vigorous indeed ,  held out against the weather fine,  took a battering and delivered a hefty bounty.

I have not sampled her as cant smoke ,  the samples i have held out all get favourable feedback ,  both locations  performed well.   

Seen quite a few Duck grows in my time and as stated ,   too late for the reward / gamble in most locations.     

I was looking at Shaman & Sugar Bomb Punch and a few others for the garden this year but health dictates otherwise ,  may find a single DP cultivar in the light dep tent .... we shall see.     

Will be following along with interest to see how you get on sir ,  best of luck with it and all the best :yep:

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 4

Thanks to everyone for the replies, and advice. 

Much appreciated. 

If anyone has any suggestions on a strain that takes the temperamental uk weather, indica, and in and around 10 to 15% thc, I'd would appreciate the advice.

• Like 1