Looking for some harvesting advice please

Jams67

Yeah that’s my concern going forward drying in the correct conditions to ensure a smokable product or vapable in my case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cakeyb said:

Yeah that’s my concern going forward drying in the correct conditions to ensure a smokable product or vapable in my case. 

I think I will struggle to get the temp below 20c, in fact il il be lucky to get it down to 20c tbh, and RH has been a pain in the arse to get right up to now so dont see that changing either lol 

Edited by Jams67
  • Like 1

Unless you have air-con you can only full plant hang, and whatever time the inner stem snaps (not the outer) then cut the main connection root ball bit of and put the branches 75% in a big cardboard box with the box closed (not sealed) for another 5-6 days then should be perfect to dry trim. Then jar or vacuum seal for long term storage 

• Like 1

I was just reading about the weather next week mate, going to be brutal indeed. Im not too bad up north but still a couple of days looking like I will need to drop the dehumidifier outside the tent again. I will be a few weeks yet before harvest so hopefully it will calm down by then

• Like 1

Great thing for summer harvests is to just freeze it and hash it. Don’t have to worry about losing terps and whatnot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnakePlissken said:

Great thing for summer harvests is to just freeze it and hash it. Don’t have to worry about losing terps and whatnot.

Cool cheers for the tip, never thought about doing that but as I will be trying to make tinctures it could be useful for doing small batches as I need, will look into that:yep:

On 07/08/2022 at 7:21 PM, CustardVape said:

Fucking nightmare. I've just harvested and my drying room hit 25° today. Good luck buddy :yep:

Going to be a tough couple of weeks for bud, do you have any plans for keeping the temp down, especially if this heat wave materialises?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jams67 said:

Going to be a tough couple of weeks for bud, do you have any plans for keeping the temp down, especially if this heat wave materialises?

Without spending more money , the best I could do was lay the buds out in a cardboard box and put the box on a stone floor in my shed with the door open. Seems to have helped a little bit it ain't perfect :mellow:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CustardVape said:

Without spending more money , the best I could do was lay the buds out in a cardboard box and put the box on a stone floor in my shed with the door open. Seems to have helped a little bit it ain't perfect :mellow:

At least youve managed to do something to improve conditions a bit mate, never thought about all these sorts of problems before I got started. I suppose when these problems arise its all good for the learning and while researching and looking for solutions you will pick up all sorts of knowledge about specific problems, causes, what signs to look out for, and ways to fix and improve. Good luck with the rest of your dry mate, hope conditions get a bit easier for you to manage:yep:

Im 3d printing some ducting adapters at the moment and im going to look at rigging up the dehumidifier so it can reduce the flower tent RH while keeping the temps down. I duct-taped an Asda bag to dehumidifier output last night as I had to get it out of the tent, temps were too high. I'm going to look at doing something similar to the air intake and run a duct to a passive air intake from outside the grow room. Thinking of just using a cardboard box and a load of duct tape, to begin with and see what the rh/temp is looking like.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, thought id throw up a few pics from this morning and see if I could get your thoughts on a couple of things.

The tops have been changing color a bit and it is looking a lot more warm golden brown now. I've tried to get some close-ups of the trichs and they mainly seem to be white, not much amber at all. I was undecided whether to start flushing this week or not but I ended up filling another res with feed (Tap water + CalMag to 0.4ec then Canna Coco A&B to a total 1.2ec. 

Timing has meant I'm not going to squeeze another grow in the big tent this year but I still have my 2 auto wedding cakes in the wee tent. This has made me look at harvesting the top half 1st again and trying to squeeze a bit more out of the bottom half. My thinking is to get a big cardboard box, mount some PC fans for airflow, and attach a 4inch duct from the top of the box into one of the tents near CF. Im not sure if it's something worth bothering with or not, also not sure if it would continue to flower or if I would need to re-veg it, which would probably take too long.

I've got a small top that had collapsed and the stem was a bit too far gone so I have chopped that and have it hung in a cardboard box drying at the moment. I did take about 1/2 oz of trim and small popcorn buds that weren't really developed last week and I was amazed that it actually tasted not bad at all and the effects were great too, so I can't wait for the real buds. I've got some glass jars and need to order some more boveda packs but I also ordered some Grove Bags so I can do some side-by-side comparisons with glass and burping old school vs grove bags, anything that makes life easier is a win for me lol 

Anyway here are some pics taken this morning, cheers folks:smokin:

The tops have got a warmer golden brown color now...

large.63046c0e907fe_day65flower.jpg

The bottom half doesn't get much light, but could it be turned into lots of bud after harvesting the top half?

large.63046c7962d41_IMG_2847(1).jpg

I tried to get some close-ups of the trichs but my camera skills ain't the best. Trichs still look 99% white/cloudy. A few of the tops leaves have started to get a nice yellowing going on, while a lot of the tops are still green.

large.63046c0d85223_day65flower1.jpglarge.63046c0c826e7_day65flower3.jpglarge.63046c0b98125_day65flower4.jpglarge.63046c0a6787a_day65flower2.jpglarge.63046c09407ea_day65flower5.jpg

• Like 3

how are u getting on with the spider farmer se(?) 5000 @Jams67 ?

nice light. bet the spread is good with the led spacing etc. & the adjustable bars...

mystic

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 1

@Jams67 They still look they have a way to go - but they might be foxtailing. Some cultivars do it anyway (sometimes its light/heat stress) and it looks like yours might be doing that - the whorled calyx that are growing up and out with fresh white/green pistils are a sign. It could be that your pheno is just a long flowering Sativa dom but I would give it another week and see how those new growths develop - if it keeps spitting out new pistils and buds then its foxtailing and you have to just choose a point to chop it - you get more yield though if you let it go a bit longer! keep your temps down if you can.

FWIW I'm planning on renting an airconditioning unit for a couple of weeks after harvest so I can chill my drying tent and hopefully avoid turning my harvest into hay!

• Like 1

@mysticriverHey bud, Its the SE3000 I have, I don't really have any experience to compare it to much else but it seems to have done me well this grow, there was a couple of times when I was away for a week or so and the tops grew up past the light if it wasn't for the light having bars it could have ended a lot worse. I've had like most growers this year on here had some heat issues (weather and heat from running dehumidifier) so the LEDs and removable driver outside the tent have helped massively with that too. I would definitely go with the bars when choosing an LED in the future, although I would probably avoid Spider Farmer and Mars Hydro as there have been a few times I've reached out to them and never had a reply.

• Like 1