Looking for some harvesting advice please

Jams67

Hey Folks, Im heading into week 8 of 12/12 on Monday, I could do with a bit of advice on how far my girls are from harvest. My shitty eyesight and lack of knowledge aren’t doing me any favours here. They still look like they are a good few weeks off to me so Im not sure on how much to reduce nutes/ec for next weeks feed as I was expecting to be 8-9 weeks flower, could this be more like 10-12?

There also lots of small popcorn buds down below that are way off what the tops are. Ive been reading through guides and other threads and it seems cutting the tops off and leaving the lower half to mature is possible. It would mean I need to find somewhere else to dry the tops while the bottom half were still in the tent. Would a cardboard box suffice with a passive duct into the tent for extraction and any other tips if I was to harvest tops and then the bottom half?

large.1DBC0A3B-8986-4DA5-B67E-E6E784964DCF.jpeg

large.B4211F39-D429-47D8-A85A-3B329C9E0733.jpeglarge.D32BCA49-4651-4DD2-A3B4-3CCE59289DDA.jpeglarge.C44BF221-995E-4C15-A1C3-F0E311CAF71F.jpeglarge.5E3A3142-1A10-4CAB-BF63-B81DBFEA18EA.jpeglarge.5D1F7A3E-DAAA-410F-8A90-57A7F4592C83.jpeglarge.54D0B3DA-20F6-4A94-A676-B827EAD1A095.jpeglarge.41F1AB13-D371-418A-B4C9-C2D02B6831FB.jpeglarge.3A199357-6246-4406-BE50-7D72D7B3F093.jpeglarge.33D9D0D9-1792-4E49-B389-F210F8CC8913.jpeglarge.257A8EC1-F96A-4C35-B652-7BF94BCF2ACE.jpeglarge.22460F04-934E-415F-AD37-F96C6482FFBB.jpeg

ATB, J:bong:

• Like 5

Just now, Larry Badgeley said:

Strain dependant, but I would say 2 may be 3 weeks? Are they Sativa dominant?

Sorry mate should have mentioned in op the strain is Lemon Drizzle from RGSC (sativa dominant). Thats good 2-3 weeks from now would be about 9-10 weeks flower so not far off the description on website.

Have you ever chopped the tops and left the bottom half to mature a bit longer?

Cheers, J:yep:

22 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

Strain dependant, but I would say 2 may be 3 weeks? Are they Sativa dominant?

If by 2 or 3 weeks you mean to check them again, yep I agree.
Those plants are not 2-3 weeks from harvest though, the buds are still growing.

• Like 9

@SkyRider I did read that some sativas could be 12+ weeks flower, which was why I was looking for advice. I don't want to reduce the feed too much or too early. I wasn't sure how quickly the white pistils would change they do seem very wispy (if thats the right description) compared to other pictures ive seen. Think I will keep nutes/ec the same for week 8 and see how it goes.

Cheers for the replies

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jams67 said:

@SkyRider I did read that some sativas could be 12+ weeks flower, which was why I was looking for advice.

Generally when people talk about Sativas being 12 weeks+ flowering they are referring to photos mate, i.e. 12 weeks of actual flowering time after they have been vegged.
Autos are a different story as the grow time includes both vegging and flowering, usually with a short flower cycle.

Always take breeder flowering times with a (large) pinch of salt.

Sadly it's one of the problems with growing autos, you have to use a lot of guess work as to when things will be ready. With photos, you can take a cut and run the same plant over and over and get to know it. With autos you just have to hope the seeds are consistent enough that you can get a rough feeel for when they might be ready.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

Generally when people talk about Sativas being 12 weeks+ flowering they are referring to photos mate, i.e. 12 weeks of actual flowering time after they have been vegged.
Autos are a different story as the grow time includes both vegging and flowering, usually with a short flower cycle.

Always take breeder flowering times with a (large) pinch of salt.

Sadly it's one of the problems with growing autos, you have to use a lot of guess work as to when things will be ready. With photos, you can take a cut and run the same plant over and over and get to know it. With autos you just have to hope the seeds are consistent enough that you can get a rough feeel for when they might be ready.

Cheers bud, the lemon drizzle are photo’s, started back in may and have been about 7.5 weeks of 12/12. I just started my 2nd grow which is wedding cake autos but the lemon drizzle are from my 1st grow which were photos.

Yeah id read that the flowering times advertised were a very rough guide and more often than not on the optimistic side. When I was first looking for seeds I thought the time was the total time for the grow, how wrong I was lol. My first LD seed was planted 30th April, I definitely  have more appreciation for the time and effort needed to grow these lovely lady’s, but I know it will be worth it:yep:

Will have all the guesswork of the autos to look forward too when the wedding cake girlies get nearer harvest, the joys lol 

If this is the photo Lemon Drizzle then 10 weeks should be enough for most phenos, if you get a sativa leaning one though it will be 10weeks+ but I doubt it would need 12 imho.

This was my Lemon Drizzle at Day 22 early flower

large.Lemon-Drizzle-Day22.jpg

Day 34 with flash you can see the trichs better - looks more "done" than it is

large.Lemon-Drizzle-Day34.jpg

Day 46

large.Lemon-Drizzle-Day46.jpg

Day 56 still developing

large.Lemon-Drizzle-Day56.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have any pics from later on but she could have gone 10 weeks tbh and put on some weight towards the end. The smell started to come out more in week 9 so I probably chopped a week early.

• Like 2

I have just done auto sativas. They went for over 100 days. Few ambers lots of orange pistils just the way I like it. I have harvested tops and then lower down the plant many times. With a bit of experience you might prefer to cut off that lower growth as soon as you flip into flower.....It's all personal preference imho. 

BTW I did my auto's 24/7 start to finish no dark period.

• Like 2

@DeltaMelterCheers for that mate, really helpful to see the same strain at different stages:yep: I was looking for your lemon drizzle diary to check again but couldn’t find it for some reason (Im sure it was yours, but not looked at it for a while so appologies if im getting mixed up)

EDIT:

Think it was the panic at the kushy disco thats in your sig I was thinking about:yep:

@Diddy Cheers bud, appreciate the info. I did (or thought i did lol) clear all the lower stuff when I flipped but dont think I done a very good job and theres still loads of bud sites down below, thinking to try harvesting the tops first and then lower the light and cook the bottom half for a week or so longer, will see how they look nearer the time. At least I have time to come up with something for drying them other than the tent in the meantime:yep:

Edited by Jams67
Found the diary in was looking for
  • Like 2

@Jams67

I have never chopped the tops first to allow the bottom buds to catch/fatten up. However, I do remove all the bottom stuff when they start to flower

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

If by 2 or 3 weeks you mean to check them again, yep I agree.
Those plants are not 2-3 weeks from harvest though, the buds are still growing.

I agree. To be honest I meant 2-3 weeks from ready but that's why I asked of they were Sativas. As we know, then I concur with Ratty. 4-5 weeks.

• Like 3

Cheers for all the quick replies chaps, still got a bit of time to go then. Thats cool, and a bit of a relief really as I was starting to question why they weren’t looking like I thought they should for their age but i guess they just need more time than I was planning on. All good experience to have in my head for the future too:yep:

• Like 3

@Jams67 If you don't have a proper drying space I would be careful about chopping your tops and drying them while waiting for the rest. Those tops are the best bits and you don't want to rush drying them.

Best bet - in a few weeks time chop a nice looking bud from near the top (but not an actual top) you can pop that in a carboard box with holes in and with the current weather it will be dry in no time - you can have a test smoke, it won;t be great but its better than chopping early. A week later do the same on another equivalent bud and so on. You then get a good feel of how its coming along - just don't sacrifice too much for erm..science. I would say 3 weeks from now is the start of your harvest window though so keep feeding them.

• Like 2