First attempt ;Tent size , lighting, plus Bonus Questions:)

jimineycricket

Just now, Killuminati7 said:

700 quid wtf wots that for a whole year 

It's running costs 6 months and I have 4 lights 2 area 

Mines about 130 a month direct debt 2 300 wot lights 1 150 light and the other shit and aircon, some peeps are getting ripped right off 

• Like 1

Just now, Grow lady said:

It's running costs 6 months and I have 4 lights 2 area 

Just seen u said 6months lol that’s not bad lol 

• Like 2

Op don't need more than 100w light for one plant in a small tent. And that will grow a plant just as fast and won't cost nowhere near what you saying.

• Like 3

Just now, Military Grade said:

Op don't need more than 100w light for one plant in a small tent. And that will grow a plant just as fast and won't cost nowhere near what you saying.

100 will be plenty in tiny tent :yep:

• Like 2

He is looking to buy a very cheap light for the job. Hence the thread

The TS600 is 100w that he asked about, and we are recommending better alternative 100w+ LED lights

Edited by Military Grade

3 hours ago, Grow lady said:

@mister phlegm from seed to harvest is never 90 days that's not correct

Yes it is. I have ten complete grows and it's pretty metronomic. Pick a link in my sig, look at the dates and do some sums if you need convincing further. Do them all if you like, 34 months a grower and half way through grow eleven. They are pretty consecutive so it would be hard to cheat if I ever had that inclination.

I don't even pick strains for speed, I'm sure it can be done more quickly...

and using a 65w led its going to slow them down also so even fastest autos need about 120 days or more but that's if environment and everything perfect and this person has a 65w led so won't be fast as could be with better light's 

Changing from my crappy blurple to the decent current light did not alter harvest time at all, just the quality and quantity of the harvest. Dunno in general, but probably nah in this case. Growing at 20C and 25C likewise. Premature starving is the only hastener I might have found so far and that's counter-productive. The lifecycle seems pretty preset for all the indica dominant autos I've grown, even the one outside. The (sativa-dominant) Amnesia auto might have gone 15 or 16 weeks had I let her, are/were you growing sats?

It's not a cheap hobby but it's also a very hard work keeping them on track and if problems like hermies then the money is gone on seeds 

For a regular cannabis consumer of a non-negligible quantity it is a cheap hobby once you get the hang of it. I'm not sure if the original poster is in that category so that might not apply here.

I'm also going to disagree about how hard it is keeping them on track (in compost anyway, as that's all I know.) Yes stuff can happen, no a good harvest is not guaranteed, but it's just a plant and a pretty tough one at that. Plant, water, feed, chop, dry. They aren't magic beans, though maybe the closest I'll ever get :) I'm blasé to the point of neglect and pretty open about it, and they still work miracles because the basics are fairly sound.

• Like 9

Thanks for all the advice ,all appreciated and being taken into consideration. I am trying to decide between a 60 x 60 x 120 tent wit a 100 w bulb for 2 plants or a 30 x 30 x 120 with a 65w bulb for 1 plant. I am in touch with a guy who runs the smaller setup for one plant with the 65w and claims a 90 day turnaround. Just need to make my mind up I guess. I d like to keep the light under 100 quid to be honest.

I do respectfully see that this is a passionate endeavor for many and that it might be a head scratcher to see someone approach it with less precision. I do see myself going deep with this hobby eventually but for now I kind of feel like I need to keep things simple and cheap and under whelming , make a few mistakes ,break some stuff , learn a few things hands on. If I researched for perfection or massive yields , getting deep into theory, building lights , I'd never jump if you get me ? I'll be happy to see how I get on with a budget light for now. I don't require much. Two plants a year a CBD and an Indica would be more than enough for my light usage. I just want to be certain of the origin of the plants I use, have choice in the type of cannabis I smoke(not just what the dealers have that week) and they are soon to crack down on CBD bud importation and use where I live so Id like to begin learning to be self sufficient in growing my own.

Another idea I'm having is to do a half outdoor half indoor grow, meaning Ill grow outside up until the point that the smell would alert neighbors , then I'll bring the plants indoors to complete in the carbon filtered tent. This will keep costs electric  down too although I'll be tied to a certain schedule of the growing season.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 9:27 PM, mister phlegm said:

Hi JC

I have a 40x40x140 and grow two plants at a time in it ignoring germ failures :) It felt tiny at first but it's a perfect size for my needs and will bang out an ounce a month and more. I don't want a lorryload of the stuff and I always like to have a grow on because growing is fun (and luckily I can).

More than double the acreage in a 60x60 though. It's tough to know what's best for you in advance.

Curious to know , if your growing two plants at a time in that small tent and one finishes up faster do you also dry out the harvest in that tent with the other plant still in growth or do you have some other system. I'm assuming you cant dry it out in your house due to the smell here.

A lot of people (myself included) get a big cardboard box and attached some ducting from the box to the tent and dry the plant in the box while the other is still in the tent.

large.20220310_010124.jpg

As for tent size and light I would get as big as tent as you can, a 40x40 really don't give you much room for training for big yields that you could achieve with say a 60x60. I would also recommend going for a slightly taller tent like 60x60x160 just to save on any ball ache.  If you have the space it's definitely worth it.

The 100w LED lights I already segested are under £100.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 5