First attempt ;Tent size , lighting, plus Bonus Questions:)

jimineycricket

Hi there,

I am putting together a Grow Tent , 60 x 60 x 170. I would get a smaller tent but I was told I would have to "train" the plant and play with the height of the light a lot more. So going this size seems like less complication am I right?

I only plan to grow one plant at a time , should I go smaller maybe? like 40 x 40 x 120?

I am trying to choose suitable lighting that is energy efficient and on the more budget end of things but have the sense of drowning in information.

So far I have found this going on someone's advice to get a 100Watt Led for the 60x60x170 tent ,It's a Mars hydro ts600 100w

Does this sound right or is it overkill on the wattage for one plant?

I have a few other questions too if anyone can help;

If one plant finishes up faster than the other can I dry that plant out in the Grow tent while the slower plant finishes up ?

It is obviously more efficient energy cost wise to grow 2 plants at the same time if possible correct ?

How much smell will there be in a room if I have a carbon filter rigged up to the tent? Should I have the filter routed to an open window or can I leave the room sealed? Do I even need a carbon filter for 1 plant?

Your advice and experience is very  much appreciated , not trying to win the cannabis cup here , just want to dip my toe and grow a little CBD.

Edited by Owderb
Link removed
  • Like 1

I grow in a space that is roughly 40 x 60 x 170 and use a PAR+140 from the site sponsors, led grow lights. While it is a great light that has served me very well for around 2 years I have recently wanted to increase my wattage further and I am now aiming for something in the 300w range.

Saying that I am growing many more plants than you, I am currently working with 11 plants in 2l pots and trying to maximise my yield from this set-up.

I don't use the Mars hydro lights, so can't comment on them.

• Like 3

Don't get a smaller tent.

Get a bigger one if you can.

Yes, you need a carbon filter.

You need a 150w LED for this size, the Mars Hydro TSW2000 would work.

• Like 2

I meant the TSW1000

The £150 one

Or an HLG version for more like £180

Or the 140w Par+ mentioned above

• Like 1

@jimineycricket 

As i said yesterday buddy, i haven't  fledged yet, still in the nest , so not qualified to answer your questions, other than the light you linked price wise,  €140 that's madness, you can get it direct from Mars for €85, and i've seen it cheaper several times over the last few months, the TS1000 i've linked below for price comparison @ €143

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 1

Thanks Oldman that's great to know , definitely pays to shop about! Where are you buying most of your kit from or do you shop about a bit?

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 1

Get a 150w LED for that size. Really. I would get it from Ebay.

Edited by Satchitananda
  • Like 1

@jimineycricket I just stated buying myself, but done a lot of research (6 months, i had time to kill), i'm in the deep end though like yourself, and 6 months ago i too was buying a mars hydro ts600, or cheap Amazon light, 60x60 tent, €30/40 extractor fan, same price for filter, etc, and now it's whole different story, so once i started to come to grip with things, i soon realized the grow tent size kinda determines other equipment choice, so nail that one first, and then ya can concentrate on the correct light, extraction, filter, etc.

Regards where i buy, could be anywhere, but i do try buy local as possible, sometimes not always possible, so Ire/UK/Europe, but ya kinda need to know what your look'n for, and then hunt for the best price, huge difference in prices i've found, for example the Homebox Ambient 80x80x180 tent ranges from €130 to €280 through out Europe, and the Mars hydro price difference i posted above, so defo worth putting time in and shop around.

I'll be following progress, as i find i get many answers in others posts, and as a suggestion, maybe check out some grow diary's on here, once i check someones diary i go through every page to the end, but even if you only had time to check the first post on the page of a diary, there can be  a lot of info there regards what other people are using for there grows, wish you all the best buddy :) 

• Like 2

Ok @jimineycricket if you want top service for buying equipment go with Adam on this site and buy bigger and the best you can afford and then if you go bigger don't have to buy again just turn things down if you get really into it you will want the best and bigger it gets addictive mate hope this helps

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 2

Hi JC

I have a 40x40x140 and grow two plants at a time in it ignoring germ failures :) It felt tiny at first but it's a perfect size for my needs and will bang out an ounce a month and more. I don't want a lorryload of the stuff and I always like to have a grow on because growing is fun (and luckily I can).

More than double the acreage in a 60x60 though. It's tough to know what's best for you in advance.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Oldman2.0 said:

@jimineycricket I just stated buying myself, but done a lot of research (6 months, i had time to kill), i'm in the deep end though like yourself, and 6 months ago i too was buying a mars hydro ts600, or cheap Amazon light, 60x60 tent, €30/40 extractor fan, same price for filter, etc, and now it's whole different story, so once i started to come to grip with things, i soon realized the grow tent size kinda determines other equipment choice, so nail that one first, and then ya can concentrate on the correct light, extraction, filter, etc.

Regards where i buy, could be anywhere, but i do try buy local as possible, sometimes not always possible, so Ire/UK/Europe, but ya kinda need to know what your look'n for, and then hunt for the best price, huge difference in prices i've found, for example the Homebox Ambient 80x80x180 tent ranges from €130 to €280 through out Europe, and the Mars hydro price difference i posted above, so defo worth putting time in and shop around.

I'll be following progress, as i find i get many answers in others posts, and as a suggestion, maybe check out some grow diary's on here, once i check someones diary i go through every page to the end, but even if you only had time to check the first post on the page of a diary, there can be  a lot of info there regards what other people are using for there grows, wish you all the best buddy :) 

Thanks Oldman good thoughts , spot on about the shopping around , I am seeing that now. , I'm really only after a small bit of CBD bud for myself. One or two plants a year would have me sorted for supply. So I really just need a one plant tent and I wont be going deeper down the rabbit hole than I need to. One thing Im realizing is that even if your going for a single plant you still want a big enough tent as smaller tents mean a lot more keeping on top of things. I'll let you know how I proceed anyway , there's a sense of drowning in information but once there's a plant growing id say the sense of satisfaction is worth it. 

Edited by Owderb
Prices
  • Like 1

@Jiminy Cricket Ya we both have a different end goal, but for me, i have the time at present to research, and learn as much as i can when off work, and hopefully get a grow in and finished before the end of the year. Regards drowning in info, i'm a sucker for soaking it all up, cause with my metal health issues, i do end up down the rabbit holes, but after 6 decades i've learned to use my kurky ways to my advantage in later years, leaving me mostly on the good side of things, so rabbit holes don't affect, or bother me like they used too.

For yourself though, needing some basic info, i would think like advised above, maybe contact a site sponsor, save yourself a lot of hassle, and see what they can advise and maybe help you with.

• Like 3

not hating but are you just solely growing cbd? You can get very high quality "industrial hemp" from the USA for amazing prices and less hassle.

Cant fault you if youre growing 1:1, want your own or just enjoy the hobby :smokin:

If you fill up the canopy very well in a 40x40 you could get just under 100g of trimmed bud with no experience. 200g is about right for a 2x2.

Personally would run 6 plants SOG and flip them quickly. Seeing as some cbd seeds are stupidly expensive maybe taking multiple clones wouldnt be a terrible idea.

recommend kingbrites from alibaba all the way but thats just my opinion

good luck!

• Like 1

Yes need a carbon filter. 4inch one with a 4inch rvk be perfect. Lightwise I'd check out LED growlights on here. Going get a much better light than from Mars. And safe too. 60x60, 75 x75 be fine for 2 plants. Get at least 170 though, cause by the time you add the filter, wont be laods of head room. Especially if you grow something stretchy. good luck!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 9:27 PM, mister phlegm said:

Hi JC

I have a 40x40x140 and grow two plants at a time in it ignoring germ failures :) It felt tiny at first but it's a perfect size for my needs and will bang out an ounce a month and more. I don't want a lorryload of the stuff and I always like to have a grow on because growing is fun (and luckily I can).

More than double the acreage in a 60x60 though. It's tough to know what's best for you in advance.

Hi JC ,What light do you use for that tent size? Also do you choose specific strains that grow shorter or smaller for that space? Thanks