anyone grown -attitude freebies....opinions wanted

badbillybob

On 11/06/2022 at 7:34 PM, ratdog said:

i've just dug into my stash of beans and found a few old freebies, sour cream, motivation,  cali hash plant.

they have been planted with others

Sour cream takes me back! 

• Like 2

Just now, openthebox said:

Sour cream takes me back! 

sadly it died mate, along with many other seeds, fungus gnat larvae in my medium, i'm going to swap to coco and see how it goes

• Like 3

Just now, ratdog said:

fungus gnat larvae in my medium, i'm going to swap to coco and see how it goes

That's another thing I havn't seen since switching to coco, but I just assumed I was cleaner or lucky, if you think about it, with coco always being wet, it's ideal for gnats. 

Does that mean most bought soil is contaminated with some eggs? 

• Like 1

Just now, Slippy One said:

I switched from using PM Soil from grow shops to garden centre soil. When I did I went from battling thrips every single pot up to not seeing them again for years. I got so used to PM Soil having thrips, I just thought it was part of growing cannabis.
Wouldn't touch grow shop soil now unless I had absolutely no other choice.

• Like 2

Just now, Slippy One said:

not sure mate, i'm not assuming the coco is clean, just don't have anything else to hand, i think they are just very successful little bastards, and i grow a lot of vegs so in the spring my flat is full of pots and trays with lovely moist medium exposed for the little cunts to thrive. i can't remember the last time i had zero gnats

it's just a case of getting the seeds past the stage where the larvae can kill the roots, i have several seedlings still going strong, sometimes it's just luck, good or bad, or maybe i'm a dirty bastard lol

• Like 3

@ratdog I've had a fair bit of trouble with fingus gnats since switching to pear free, I took to microwaving the soil before using it for seedlings to kill everything off. From now on I'll be utilising hydrogen peroxide for the seedling stage, losing expensive seeds is really frustrating. 

• Like 3

Just now, MindSoup said:

@ratdog I've had a fair bit of trouble with fingus gnats since switching to pear free, I took to microwaving the soil before using it for seedlings to kill everything off. From now on I'll be utilising hydrogen peroxide for the seedling stage, losing expensive seeds is really frustrating. 

i have noticed for a long-time now in gold label which is supposed to be clean i would expect, when taking cuttings you can see the larvae through the plastic cups i used, fucking annoying as it's obviously a lot more than basic multipurpose.

trying coco, i have some stuff in coco in the greenhouse, lettuce and cucumbers and they seems happy, i just don't like change lol

as for losing seeds, some of this stuff is irreplaceable :crybaby:

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 2

Coco's too much like hard work for me, I'm all about the no till life, it's seriously low effort lol

• Like 2

Just now, MindSoup said:

Coco's too much like hard work for me

I find there are less questions with coco and I haven't (touch wood) seen half as many problems than I read about. I think the major pain in the arse for people is the constant PH'ing of the water which is a bit of a bore but once you get to know your water and its consistent the PH meter usually finds itself in the draw. I know it can be seen as controversial but if I use 45% hot water and 55% cold water I get bang on PH 6 once I have added the nutrients, you have probably guessed it but the EC meter is in the draw as well...shit I am going to get a torrent of abuse here lol but I just build it up over the first few weeks and generally sit quite happy around 50% of scheduled feed, once I push past this I get burnt tips like in my current grow...greedy bugger :wallbash:

Sometimes they don't even need a water everyday either so I seem to not be doing coco as many people say you should but for my daily watering I am in, out and done in 10 mins and I am well happy with my smoke and its a little too much for my fellow smokers lol 

We should have a low effort grow off, I feel I am right up there with the laziest.

• Like 6

@Kush Lover my water is so hard I'd have to RO all of it before I even got to PHing and adding nutes etc major yawnsville lol.

All I do is fill my res with tap water twice a week (can go a full week if I'm not there), keep my mulch layer going and add a scoop of dry ferts about once month/when I remember. The top layer does get the odd wet down with a pump sprayer but that's getting rarer and rarer as time goes by lol.

I would be well up for that, gramms per hour of labour rather than just gramm per watt. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 5

@MindSoup I think you win mate! lol Truth be told I would love to go no till organic but with my time constraints at the moment the initial learning is way off being able to implement it at the moment. Sod the hard water at that level though, you need to move further down south!!

• Like 1

Honestly dude although it's a total rabbit hole if you want to really understand whats happening, to grow successfully there's really not much to learn, I've pretty much outlined it all in that comment already lol. Some people seem to overcomplicate the process. 

E2A funnily enough I'm actually thinking of moving north because I might actually be able to afford a house up there. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

@MindSoup I looked at Scotland once and could afford a decent sized house which seemed amazing at the time but the cost of running them was something else!!

• Like 2